Should Habs retire Guy Lapointe #5?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Well yea. A long time coming. Dude got jobbed big time.

Bowman said Lapointe was without a doubt his most complete D. There's nothing he could not do and was almost a fourth forward sometime.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Lapointe's daughter was on 690 yesterday starting a petition. She had some good points. The Big Three, hall of fame, 6 Cups, he accomplished a lot here.

Absolutely. Injuries shortened his career, but if Dryden's career was long enough to have his number retired, then Lapointe's was more than long enough. He was among the best of the best, starring for Team Canada in both 1972 and 1976 as well as being a very key player in winning 5 out of the 6 cups he won here. Even in 1979, he played terrific hockey up until he was injured in the third period of game 7 of the semi-finals.

Matteus

May 11, 2009
To me Pointu was every bit as good as Ray Bourque, although his career didn't last as long.
I think they had similar assets, but Ray never had to share the spotlight with the likes of Robinson and Savard on his team.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Id be against retiriring further jerseys.
But if there is one to retire, it's Lapointe.

Harry Wong

Oct 25, 2009
Lapointe was the most dynamic of the big three. A strong fluid skater, the fastest skater, great defensively and the most dangerous offensively. I believe he still has the record of 29 goals in one season by a Habs defenseman! This was in the time of Bobby Orr and Brad Park. And by all accounts a real practical joker in the dressing room.I have never understood why Guy was never found a place in the Habs organization. IMO he deserves as much as Robinson and Savard to have his number retired. He was one the key pieces on these 6 great Habs teams.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
During the Orr/Park era, I think Lapointe is the guy who fared the best in Norris voting after those two. IMO Savard and Robinson were better during the time I watched the three (75 on), but the difference wasn't as big as two of them getting Jersey retirements and the other not. It was actually quite close between the three, with only Robinson 76-77 season setting him apart.

Harry Wong

Oct 25, 2009
I would have liked Lemaire as our head coach or even GM but I think he was reluctant because of the press and the pressure to win. But he was a great player, both ways.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
His peak was the shortest, and he probably wasn't quite in the same league as Savard and Robinson defensively, but he was the most exciting of the big three. If another jersey is to be retired, he's the most obvious choice.

Halifaxhab*

He was a big part of that team's success. He was the biggest offensive threat in the "big 3"

And let's be honest, even if you feel there are too many numbers retired or that he was borderline for the honour.....he wore #5, that number was retired for Geoffrion already. So, IMHO he deserves it, it won't change anything in regards to number availabily so just do it.

dzd ncnfzd

Aug 8, 2007
Pointu deserves to have his chandail up in the rafters.

Love how Dryden talks about him in his book!!!

I've been watching the Habs since '67 and he was definitely one of the greats

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Still don't understand why Lach and Bouchard and Roy's numbers were retired before Lapointe's.

And I don't think Shutt is quite worthy of a retirement ceremony. The way I see it: Bob Gainey is the lower limit.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Still don't understand why Lach and Bouchard and Roy's numbers were retired before Lapointe's.

And I don't think Shutt is quite worthy of a retirement ceremony. The way I see it: Bob Gainey is the lower limit.
I'm okay if we don't retire Shutt but I'd be just as okay if we honoured him. He put up some pretty wicked numbers, won four cups, held the LW record for scoring for a while... I'd have zero problem with him up there. Lapointe should go up.
Saku before Lapointe
Joking right?

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
It's hard to believe that Guy's #5 hasn't been retired already, how many of those seasons would have ended quite differently without him, I can't say but he was a core player. Core players are those deemed essential for Championship teams, Guy Lapointe was Essential in every way possible and there wouldn't have been a Big Three without him.:handclap:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Roy? Really?

Stanley Cup — with Montreal Canadiens in 1986, 1993
Conn Smythe Trophy — 1986, 1993
Vezina Trophy — 1989, 1990, 1992
William M. Jennings Trophy — 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992
NHL All-Star Game — 1988, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
NHL First All-Star Team — 1989, 1990, 1992
NHL Second All-Star Team — 1988, 1991
NHL All-Rookie Team — 1986

This is with Montreal only.

Not sure its worth arguing timing on this one. He was the better player. I get where you're coming from though.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
I'm not against it, but honnestly who outside of his family really cares? Will you stop watching the habs if they don't retire #5? It's his daughter that's making a stink, not even him. This seems like it's more about her than Guy Lapointe.

Kudos to her for trying but I heard the 690 interview with Marinaro and she just came off as very bitter and as if she's holding a grudge toward the organization for 'not having done this yet'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad