Line Combos: Should Grundstrom be called up?

Should the Leafs call up Grundstrom to add a bit of grit to it's line up?

• Total voters

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I think fans think that the leafs will skill their way into success. Its true that you can have a team like this with all the regular season bragging rights. When the Leafs don't win the cup the defense and toughness conversation will happen all over again.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Like, can’t like twice

No reason at all to start his nhl time yet. Some fans complain about cap trouble keep him down as long as possible and when he comes in we can more use his $900k caphit to help our team. He is an exciting prospect I wanna see him bit we need to play this smart with him
Nice to have him down there in case of injuries.

Reactions: Walshy7

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd probably want to give him little stints in the NHL starting in the second half of this season, and some sporadic play next year so when his ELC expires he isn't making the case for a $3 million contract.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I think we should use the same scale for grit as they use for sandpaper.

Hyman is about 120 grit
Komarov is about 100 grit (now) but 3 seasons ago was 75 grit
Martin was 60 grit
Guy like Orr, Parros, etc were around 20 grit.

Grundstrom is around 100 grit. He’s not what you think you want. Like others said he’s a guy who comes to work with a Teflon-coated lunch pail. Tough as nails but not in a Don Cherry smash and tear human flesh kinda way.

He’s a guy that gets to where he’s going whether you want him to or not.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Give him the Johnsson treatment. At this time though there is no reason to bring him up. We’re deep enough.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Who does he replace? You'r not playing him on the fourth line.

When not sure of player's abilities to help a team, just say "grit" or "veteran leadership."

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
If you're looking for skilled toughness, Mason Marchment. Grundstrom isn't really a fighter.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I really like this kid but no need to rush him - so far so good playing in the AHL

Has played well all season long - has adjusted / adapted North American style pretty well

Need some seasoning that's all, going to be solid / regular NHLer

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Grundstrom was beyond useless in the preseason, haven't seen him since but hopefully, he does better. I havent seen this grit everyone is talking about

He is playing good hockey now and he is not as gritty as people want to make him out to be, he has the skill and can grind and create a ruckus in front of net

Reactions: frog

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
I’m hoping next year looks like this:

Grundstrom Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Tavares Marner
Hyman Kadri Kapanen
Marchment Gauthier Moore
Ex: lindholm

Rielly RHD
Dermott Zaitsev
Rosen Liljgren

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
I would love to see him, but no. Let him grow with the Marlies this year. Bring him up for a few games at the end of the regular season and if he is too good to be sent down than great, if not we will definitely see him next year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I would have called him up over Moore for a top 9 LW role, but not for the 4th line. The kid is still a bit early in his North American development to give him limited usage. At least Kappenen in that usage got some PKing on the side. Long-term, Marleau's spot in the top 9 is his for the taking.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
I think we should use the same scale for grit as they use for sandpaper.

Hyman is about 120 grit
Komarov is about 100 grit (now) but 3 seasons ago was 75 grit
Martin was 60 grit
Guy like Orr, Parros, etc were around 20 grit.

Grundstrom is around 100 grit. He’s not what you think you want. Like others said he’s a guy who comes to work with a Teflon-coated lunch pail. Tough as nails but not in a Don Cherry smash and tear human flesh kinda way.

He’s a guy that gets to where he’s going whether you want him to or not.
Bring up the European and increase the skill set of the team that can never be too high!
In with Carl Grundström and down goes Brown!
Damn Euros! How the Leafs fans hate that Detroit style Stanley cup wining technique to get by!
Sure we want the Stanley cup, but with Europeans? Makes us Leafs fans frown!

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
There's noone to fight anymore.
Your father's Philadelphia Flyers died with the Oldsmobile sedan
Good Canadian Kids rocking and socking their way to Post Concussion Syndrome is out
Skill wins and the demand for skill is an unofficial fighting ban
Good Canadian Kids need to skate, not learn how to draw blood from a snout!

(For clarity: I completely agree with the quote)

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I think fans think that the leafs will skill their way into success. Its true that you can have a team like this with all the regular season bragging rights. When the Leafs don't win the cup the defense and toughness conversation will happen all over again.

And what happens when Tampa bay wins the cup without toughness after besting the Leafs in the second round?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad