Should FS1 go after a KHL tv deal?

goldengladiator

Oct 21, 2012
I love waking up early to watch KHL games online but hate not knowing what the announcers are saying. With the league growing in popularity in the US it has several benefits for FSMG. Good hockey, early morning programming worth watching, ability to show extra games on regional networks, plus official English language broadcaster.

Would this work? Would you watch?

SCBdude

SC Bern 1931
Sep 20, 2012
Eisstadion Allmend
I doubt that it would be in any way profitable for FS1. The NHL is already fighting for good ratings and KHL season is during the same time as so many other, more established (in the USA) sports, for example NFL, NBA, College Football, College Basketball and of the the NHL.

If KHL season was in August then they might have a chance but considering whom they are competing with I don't think they would stand a chance in the American TV-market.

I would watch the games but I'm a hardcore hockey fan, which few people are,

goldengladiator

Oct 21, 2012
I doubt that it would be in any way profitable for FS1. The NHL is already fighting for good ratings and KHL season is during the same time as so many other, more established (in the USA) sports, for example NFL, NBA, College Football, College Basketball and of the the NHL.

If KHL season was in August then they might have a chance but considering whom they are competing with I don't think they would stand a chance in the American TV-market.

I would watch the games but I'm a hardcore hockey fan, which few people are,

Why would it matter, KHL games are in the morning?

TheNomad

Jul 26, 2013
A market of people who like hockey, then like foreign hockey, then are not working in the morning seems pretty small. However, as a KHL fan this would be good, especially if the games are archived online so you can watch them in the afternoon when you get home. Laola1 used to be the place for this until ESPN bought the KHL rights during the lockout, showed about 5 games bashing the league, and quit showing games while simultaneously preventing us from watching those Laola feeds due to legal matters regarding who holds broadcasting rights.

goldengladiator

Oct 21, 2012
A market of people who like hockey, then like foreign hockey, then are not working in the morning seems pretty small. However, as a KHL fan this would be good, especially if the games are archived online so you can watch them in the afternoon when you get home. Laola1 used to be the place for this until ESPN bought the KHL rights during the lockout, showed about 5 games bashing the league, and quit showing games while simultaneously preventing us from watching those Laola feeds due to legal matters regarding who holds broadcasting rights.

Is Loala doing it this year? Besides look at unemployent

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
I love waking up early to watch KHL games online but hate not knowing what the announcers are saying. With the league growing in popularity in the US it has several benefits for FSMG. Good hockey, early morning programming worth watching, ability to show extra games on regional networks, plus official English language broadcaster.

Would this work? Would you watch?

The league is growing popularity in the US?

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Maybe if this Edward Snowden guy is presented as the new KHL mascot some angry Americans watch the league to protest against their own government. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad