Should Eller Skip/Replace Gionta on Depth Chart?

Pigems*

If Gionta was 6"2, 210lbs, would we be having this thread?
I, for one, love Gionta this year. Would like a little more points but Plekanec and Bourque are on fire playing with him so it evens things up. Also, he's pretty solid defensively and complements the other 2 very well.
Eller has just got out of the doghouse and if you give him to much to quick, I fear he could fall back to his old self. If anything, play Eller the the Gs little more while 5on5.

If Gionta was 6'2" 210 no but jersey would have probably never let him go either, fortunately for us Eller is 6'2" not sure on his weight but this is why I posted this thread lol

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Plekanec's line has played very good this year, no reason to split them up.

The Desharnais line is the one that needs to be broken up.

Pigems*

Plekanec's line has played very good this year, no reason to split them up.

The Desharnais line is the one that needs to be broken up.

But what if we trade DD and he turns out to be a Guroux type in a couple years?

FisherKing

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Frequent reader, seldom poster here. Agree with the poster's who suggest Eller be placed on right wing if he is to play wing. Although I'll probably get hung, drawn and quartered for suggesting this, I think one option for increasing Eller's utilization would be to rotate him with the Gallys. Play right wing for BG a couple of games while BG sits and perhaps then a couple of games centre for AG letting AG sit and rotating BG back in on right wing. Of course Therrien would need to explain to all three what is going on so that the Gallys know sitting them is not punitive. Before anyone blows a fuse, my thinking here is that both Gallys are rookies and Eller HAS been playing well and Habs really need to use him to build up his confidence. 3rd line would give him easier minutes which should boost his confidence. Meanwhile, the Gallys would still see lots of action. In AG's case, he seems to have been struggling the last few games which as another poster pointed out is to be expected. Rotating him out of the lineup for a couple of games would give him a chance to reorient himself while helping Eller. BG is playing great but we know what we have with this guy, and rotating Eller in for a couple of games in his spot gives him a look at things from a different perspective while it shouldn't hurt his development or effectiveness. Like I said, it's important though that Therrien explain to all 3 what is going on so the Gs don't see it as punitive, but rather as part of their development. Again, they are rookies and I think priority right now should be given to Eller. My 2 cents.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
I may be wrong but Eller seems too timid/nice for the role the Habs need him to play.

Pigems*

What if we trade him and he doesn't?

I think trading DD will be a touchy subject no matter what. He's our best Quebec born player and much like hiring the interim Anglo coach last year I think it would stir up a mess MB doesn't want/need this early in his tenure.

pine*

I think trading DD will be a touchy subject no matter what. He's our best Quebec born player and much like hiring the interim Anglo coach last year I think it would stir up a mess MB doesn't want/need this early in his tenure.

MB showed he doesn't care about stirring up a mess, as shown by his handling of Subban.

Pigems*

MB showed he doesn't care about stirring up a mess, as shown by his handling of Subban.

Yes but I have a feeling that's one mess he won't wanna get into, could be wrong for sure but something says DD willnot be going anywhere anytime soon

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Right implication, wrong reasoning.

DD won't sit because he's Quebecois.

oh-you-93067263235.jpeg

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
I really don't get the hate for Gionta from some on these boards. He's very fast which fits well with our gameplay centered around forecheck. He's feisty along the boards and while he won't often outfight a bigger player if he doesn't win the battle outright, he'll often draw the battle out long enough to get support. Also, his playing style isn't very creative as he often shoots the puck when the pass isn't an obvious high percentage play, but that also.meshes well with his linemates which are fast enough to follow him offer him that high percentage pass or will use their speed to crash the net, especially Bourque. He's also a great vet for our young players and a character player that shows up in the playoffs.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
The only place I would see Eller make a move on the roster is besides DD and Patches. But still I would prefer seeing him as a center.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Umm no. Putting Eller instead of Gionta on the 2nd line would kill everything. One's a puck mover, one's a shooter and one is really good at going to the net and battling along the boards. Don't mess with a winning recipe..

Gionta reminded me of rey mysterio the other night.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The only place I would see Eller make a move on the roster is besides DD and Patches. But still I would prefer seeing him as a center.

Bingo!

Every positive is covered

+ Eller gets to play RW or C AND gets Top-9 minutes with skilled players.

+ Supposing EC goes with BG and AG, the bigger, veteran presence on the Gally line is kept.

+ TP's line remains intact.

+ Not sending the wrong message (in other words, don't scratch DD because, well, he's DD; while he's not playing THAT great, he's not the worst player on his line so far. Actually, he's possibly the best player on his line since a few games if you want to be really severe with MP, who, considering the surgery he just had, shouldn't be playing anyways...)

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'd like to see this happen giving us 4 top 6 wingers all over 6' and able to play a good mix of power and finesse.

Eller Pleky Bourque
Patch DD Cole
Gio AGally BGally
Prust White Moen

Armstrong
Nokia

Did you put Ryan White in as a center again???? Why would anyone do that? He has no speed, no puck handling ability, no vision and no brains. If we have injuries and need to use him, please let it be as a banging winger, and by that I do not mean punching people who have not taken their gloves off yet.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I wonder if Gallagher will replace Gionta by the end of the year, i.e. if Gallagher will make Gionta tradeable.

onemorecup*

I'm not huge gio fan, but he's been fine imo. He's fine on that line. I would split the DD, Patches, Cole line if we're looking for more balance.

The problem is, I don't see where DD fits if you remove those wingers from him.

agreed on dd 100% but at some point we have to face the facts

Gio and Cole are not going to be with us in 1or 2 years

Time for Eller, Galchy and Galagher to eventually take a bigger role

Young Gun

Nov 9, 2009
Ellar is nothing better than a third line player based on his stats

Total NHL
Games Played171 G 26 A 24 Pts 50 -8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad