Should each team get 1 timeout during the 1st, 2nd & 3rd periods?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You know how each NHL team gets 1 timeout a game and that also means they get 1 coaches challenge if it's not for an offside goal. Now if a coach decides to use his timeout very early in a game if his team is losing it means he can not challenge for something like goalie interference for the remainder of the game and there is no guarantee the situation room in Toronto would tell the refs to look at a controversial play should one happen. So I was thinking should each team be given 1 timeout that can be used if they want in the 1st, 2nd & 3rd periods? If the coach wants to use it as a regular timeout that's ok, however at least they would have more than 1 coaches challenge available should they feel the need to use it.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Part of what makes hockey great is how fast paced it is. It already gets annoying when the 3 TV timeout stackup on top of each other. We don't need more down time.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
They already have unlimited timeouts, with the offsides challenges, goalie interference reviews and whatnot!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Part of what makes hockey great is how fast paced it is. It already gets annoying when the 3 TV timeout stackup on top of each other. We don't need more down time.
Expect I said they have the extra timeouts if they want to use them. So if they don't call a general timeout or a coaches challenge in the 1st period, that's one less they have during the 2nd and 3rd period.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
This isn't football. How often do timeouts get used outside of the final minute anyway? Since they've done away with timeouts agter icings, I can't think of a single reason why three timeouts would be necessary

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
They already have unlimited timeouts, with the offsides challenges, goalie interference reviews and whatnot!

Don't forget goalie equipment "repairs" that are always needed when the puck is iced.

Reactions: Oddbob

ZzZz

Dec 22, 2017
Anything that makes games take longer has to have very good reasons to be implemented, they are always looking at ways to make games end sooner to make it easier for networks to schedule NHL games.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Instead of time outs they should just give coaches unlimited challenges - it's what the game needs. I want every goal, every play, every time a player sneezes, to be challenged and reviewed... in the interest of fairness of course. I feel like it's just what the game needs right now.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
6 timeouts per period would be ideal.

And coaches should start skating out to the crease and chat the goalie after a bad goal.

Reactions: tny760

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
f***. No. One of the things I hate most about the nfl and nba are all the freaking timeouts.

I know you aren't suggesting quite the same but Christ no.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
****. No. One of the things I hate most about the nfl and nba are all the freaking timeouts.

I know you aren't suggesting quite the same but Christ no.
I'm just suggesting 1 each period for both teams. However unless it's for a coaches challenge we generally don't see a timeout being called until very late in the 3rd period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad