Should DW be re-signing our RFA's before the draft?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Zidlicky was still there the year after Burns and their PP sucked rock candy.

Well, that team went through a pretty heavy transition that off-season. They moved Havlat and Burns, they lost Brunette, they lost Miettinen, and Koivu was injured for a significant time. They dropped from 18.2% to 15.1% which given what they had lost makes sense.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Well, that team went through a pretty heavy transition that off-season. They moved Havlat and Burns, they lost Brunette, they lost Miettinen, and Koivu was injured for a significant time. They dropped from 18.2% to 15.1% which given what they had lost makes sense.

Plus Burns is a very good trigger and that still hurts.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Plus Burns is a very good trigger and that still hurts.

Absolutely does. Triggers cause the havoc you need to produce on the power plays. It's just that you need QB's for zone entries and playmaking and that's just not Burns' forte. Burns and Demers would make a quality pairing for the situation.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Wingels - Agree.
Sheppard - 1 year.
Demers - 2 years.
Stalock (UFA) - 2 years.

Works for me.

I do know that DW likes to wait and announce 2 or 3 at a time...

I also believe he'll wait until near the end of summer on RFAs so as to see the comps from other "current" signings that may effect offers. Stalock would be good to sign this month as i am concerned that some team could sign him as a UFA.

PS. Stalock is in the recent USA Hockey Magazine i just received. He's a legit up and coming NHL ready starter.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
How about assigning dollars to those signings?

My take:

Wingels: 2 years, 2-2.5
Demers: 2-3 years, 3-4
Shep: 1 year, 1.2-1.8

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I'm inclined to ding Demers for his horrid playoff performance, and bump up Sheppard for his strong play in the playoffs and late into the season.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
I'm inclined to ding Demers for his horrid playoff performance, and bump up Sheppard for his strong play in the playoffs and late into the season.

I'd generally agree with this. I thought Demers was going to be pushing 4 mil if he had a decent playoff run. Now I think he'll get somewhere between 3-3.5 I think.. though I still think 4 isn't out of the question though I'd say that's a bit high.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
I'd have a hard time paying Demers that much more than Braun or anywhere close to Vlasic. I'm sure DW is looking at signing Braun to an extension this offseason like Vlasic did a few seasons ago. I think Demers should sign a "show me contract" like Braun did.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
I'd have a hard time paying Demers that much more than Braun or anywhere close to Vlasic. I'm sure DW is looking at signing Braun to an extension this offseason like Vlasic did a few seasons ago. I think Demers should sign a "show me contract" like Braun did.

There's no way Demers is going to make less than Braun. If his agent is even half competent, he should be getting at least 3 mil. It's not Braun but market value that you should be looking at.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA

My take:

Wingels will probably get 3-3.5
Demers I'd give similar to Wingels. Based on both just coming off breakout seasons, don't want to overpay either.
Sheppard I'd sign for 1-1.1

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Demers 10 mil for 3 years. 3.33 per
Wingels 9 mil for 3 years, 3.0 per
Stalock 4 mil over 2 years, 2.0 per
Shepard 2.5 mil for 2 years 1.25 per

After July 1, extend Braun for five years, 4.0 per.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I'd have a hard time giving Braun 4 million per year. Honestly, Braun doesn't deserve any more than Demers does.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
I'd have a hard time giving Braun 4 million per year. Honestly, Braun doesn't deserve any more than Demers does.

If he goes to 21.5min in a defensive role, he will have a ceiling of $4.5mil. He should be cheaper now as he hasn't quite got the minutes yet, but he is heading in that direction.

Dmen go by minutes and points for compensation.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009

My take:

There's no way Demers is going to make less than Braun. If his agent is even half competent, he should be getting at least 3 mil. It's not Braun but market value that you should be looking at.

Wingels I agree gets no more than 2.5mil. I do think Sheppard gets 2yr/1.3 per.
He earned it in my opinion. Cant compare Braun and Demers deal and Demers will make less than Braun, imo. Demers gets 3yrs/3mil per. Braun's next deal should be for 5yrs/3.8 per.

No way Braun gets 4mil. Close but not to 4. Heck a 2mill raise puts him at 3.250. Add in the current $$ for comps and on the open market he gets 4mil. I hope we sign him long term

None of these guys are touching $4M, and I'd be surprised if Tommy got over $2.75.

Does 3.6 or 3.8 work??

Agree on Wingels

freddypuck

Aug 19, 2008
New York
I keep thinking of the negatives on this board about Vlasic a couple of years ago, so IMO Demers needs to be signed I love his game its getting better all the time , he has an edge i like also, he still
our youngest D and he is now the leader in D pts with Boyle gone , so either trade him now for equal
value or sign him, i have a feeling we will regret moving him :sarcasm:later on..........

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
I'm finding it kinda difficult to draw comparisons with Braun and Demers. Voynov would be the high bench mark, and neither of them are as valuable. Who's a closer comparison?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm finding it kinda difficult to draw comparisons with Braun and Demers. Voynov would be the high bench mark, and neither of them are as valuable. Who's a closer comparison?

I would say Braun's comparable would be Vlasic like 3 years ago so that would be a salary of $3.5m but a cap hit of $3.1m and the price for quality defensive defensemen haven't changed all that much. Considering the rising cap hit(so Braun's cap hit goes up) and Braun's relative lack of time spent as a high quality dman(cap hit down). I'd say he's due for $3.3m-ish cap wise once his contract is over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad