Should Detroit go for Vatanen #45?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caracal87

May 20, 2013
Anaheim hasn't resigned Vatanen after last season. Vatanen had 900 000USD caphit last year. Hes contract ended this summer and he is a RFA. Do you think that Detroit should go after him?

Vatanen's play has shown to be quite solid in the NHL level and he is noticed as offensive defender. I know he lack's a bit in size but he has been quite solid in own end finishing at +9 and made almost 0,5 points per game he was in NHL last year. He was outstanding in Olympics playing in the first pair of Finland's defence.

Last year NHL game reports: http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?7677

Player stats: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=16044

As Detroit seems to be needing more ready nhl level defenders than it's draftpicks. i suppose this could be a steal for Detroit. I suppose he could be willing to change jersey because anaheim has been making even more contracts to the D area and it makes it totally unsure situation about play time he could't get in Anaheim. I suppose the price would be around 2nd round pick or 1st round pick.

Already proven NHL-level defender for draft pick and would bring detroit a lot of offensive skill, PP skill, accurate shot (not like a muffin) and seems to be ok in own end.

What do you think?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
He's a really talented guy, but I don't know that he's a good fit. Sure, he's RH, but he's a bit small.

I have to think the price would be high, too. He's young, RH, and just put up some pretty impressive points (21 in 48 games). They'd probably want something we very much do not want to give up, and it's probably not a defenseman, so there's a bit of a logjam.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
He needs to be at least 6'3 to play on the Wings. Didn't you know the entire NHL changes with each cup winner? Now it's all about the size.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
He needs to be at least 6'3 to play on the Wings. Didn't you know the entire NHL changes with each cup winner? Now it's all about the size.
He's really small, though. We're not talking slightly below average. We're talking Adam Almquist size. Supposedly a little shorter, actually. Little heavier. Granted, he's really fast, but he's not some magical shoo-in for an NHL career just yet. He's also not very good in his own end yet.

I'd worry that Babcock would give him the Smith treatment. He doesn't like offense-first defensemen, and Vatanen has some similarity to Smith.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
He'd definitely fill a need and would make some sense here. I just want to begin sorting out the log-jam we have on defense and start bringing our prospects up to see who is going to be a good long-term fit and which ones can be moved to address needs.

The sooner we find replacements for Quincey, Kindl and Lashoff the better.

Caracal87

May 20, 2013
I suppose vatanen wants a one way deal and aproximately 1,750 000 to 2 500 000 USD per season. Thats the problem for anaheim can they guarantee spot in the opening roster. For me to see there is no room.

BRYAN ALLEN (1way deal 14/15)
FRANCOIS BEAUCHEMIN (1 way deal 14/15)
MARK FISTRIC (1 way deal 16/17)
CAM FOWLER (1 way deal 17/18)
HAMPUS LINDHOLM (wont be sent to AHL)
BEN LOVEJOY (1 way deal for 15/16)
SHELDON SOURAY (1 way deal for 14/15)
CLAYTON STONER (1 way deal for 17/18)

with value of 2,500 000usd detroit would need to pay 2nd round pick from him right? and if anaheim would like to keep him they need to pay the same and this case guarantee line-up. I dont see that coming as their cap wont likely be enjoying that either.

I bet Vatanen moves before season starts but i also hope its Detroit.
Match made in heaven!

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
If we signed him for 1.6-3.3 million compensation would be a 2nd. Could be doable but the ducks have plenty of cap space. I am not really a fan of offer sheets. It just provokes the other team to come after our guys...slippery slope.

Trading might be a better option. I know the team is pretty high on him though. He would probably cost a 1st or 2nd pick plus a solid prospect. I would do a 2nd plus any of our prospects from the 2013 draft (excluding Mantha) or a 2nd plus Jensen/Cally/Ferarro etc. pretty quickly but I am not sure the ducks would.

Caracal87

May 20, 2013
In Finnish media they say it was one way deal. but anyway. most stupid thing he could have done. I dont mean he should have made deal to Detroit but in anywhere else than Ducks. Have fun Sami for eating popcorn for next 2 years. its now 9 one-way defenders for ducks.

Sami has said that most important thing that made him resign a contract was one-way deal and promise of playtime. Also biggest thing is he thinks that with ducks you are always one of the Stanley winners competers ( i cant see that be accurate troughout the history).

So Sami its 2 years of popcorn because Brucie hates you or doesnt understand your talent. otherwise sayonara to NYI or EDM.

Maybe got little bit harsh here but anyway. STUPID deal.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Would've just brought Almquist in if they were actually interested in a player like this, I'd imagine

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Would've just brought Almquist in if they were actually interested in a player like this, I'd imagine

Vatanen is a fast skater and right-handed. Almquist was missing those attributes that would have changed Wings management's opinion against him.

I really wouldn't be surpriced if Vatanen is the future Rafalski.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Vatanen is a fast skater and right-handed. Almquist was missing those attributes that would have changed Wings management's opinion against him.

yeah, i don't know if he will ever be quite as good but rafalski-lite upside is definitely there.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

No doubt Vatanen has a career in the NHL and has a few more tools in his toolbox than Almquist, but I just think from management's POV if they thought "Vatanen is a guy worth getting" they would've just tried to develop Almquist in the NHL/ north america rather than give up assets for Vatanen.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Since he has re-signed, there's no point in continuing this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad