WC: Should Canada stop sending NHLers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
but play the best on best every seconde year... takes away some of the creddability from winning gold in both the Olympics and World cup... either its only Olympic or only World Cup... but if its going to be World Cup it would be prefered if it was played aswell in Europe after the pool rounds... when it coming to the eliminations games aswell.

Helsinki and Stockholm each hosted a Quarterfinal in 2004.

I'd also like to see Russia host a game or two next time instead of having Russia in the North American pool.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
You should stop participating. Im getting tired of all these threads every ****ing year. Make Your own world cup. We dnt care. Do whatever u like! Enjoy Your Stanley cup final and world cup.

Rekin

Feb 23, 2014
Warszawa
I guess the only reason why they're not playing a best-on-best, best-of-seven series between Team Canada and Team USA every year is that in the United States hardly anyone would care.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
You should stop participating. Im getting tired of all these threads every ****ing year. Make Your own world cup. We dnt care. Do whatever u like! Enjoy Your Stanley cup final and world cup.

Thanks, we will. Also, do you care about 2010 and 2014 olympics? :D I'm saying that because you made it sound like we need the World Cup because we can't win the olympics, so we will make our own tournament. :laugh: 2010 and 2014. Yeah.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
Thanks, we will. Also, do you care about 2010 and 2014 olympics? :D I'm saying that because you made it sound like we need the World Cup because we can't win the olympics, so we will make our own tournament. :laugh: 2010 and 2014. Yeah.

We euros support the Olympics, but u dnt. U want the world cup, so make it.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic

What are laughing at? There were rumours even after 1998 that NHLers will be send till Canada proves it is best. So now you prove it and it is obviously end. It seems that somebody in NA is pretty satisfied with this concept....

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
What are laughing at? There were rumours even after 1998 that NHLers will be send till Canada proves it is best. So now you prove it and it is obviously end. It seems that somebody in NA is pretty satisfied with this concept....

Good that we have proved it finally. :nod:

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Good that we have proved it finally. :nod:

This is seriously not the case. The point is that every international concept is somehow undermined by NHL that obviously never came with some stable tourney - or at least i do not remember any planned WC that was not organized because of lacking agreement with IIHF. It is more about "stop doing it and let's do it like this for now and we will see later. To be honest, I do not understand to NHL intention, completly missing its vision, if there is any, and do not know its point of view on int. tourneys. What I would say - they don't have any intention to send best players to WHC, even if it would be moved august or september.....

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
It is more about "stop doing it and let's do it like this for now and we will see later. To be honest, I do not understand to NHL intention, completly missing its vision, if there is any, and do not know its point of view on int. tourneys. What I would say - they don't have any intention to send best players to WHC, even if it would be moved august or september.....

Yah the NHL has no vision...OK. Or maybe some of the owners don't want to shut down during the middle of the season, especially after watching one of it's best players get hurt and can't return.

Just like asking the WHC to move a few weeks back the unions would balk. The NHLPA would probably do the same if asked to start the season sooner. So again it's back to being the NHLs fault.

You are, again and again, asking for the NHL to interrupt the playoffs.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

I agree. I am Canadian and the mentality of Canadian hockey fans is nauseating when it comes to international hockey.

PurpleMouse

Apr 27, 2014
I agree with this. I wouldn't mind replacing someone like Coburn (good defenceman, but suited to smaller ice and never going to play for Canada at a best on best) with a Europe based player, so maybe 3-4 Europe based players. In years past I advocated for the inclusion of Kevin Dallman over some random bottom pairing defenceman who will never be of use. There are forwards who would be well suited as well. Ideally, these players could give practical advice to the NHLers on the intricacies of international ice.

The point of this tournament, from a Canadian perspective, is still a chance to get international experience for players who might one day play in a World Cup or Olympics. If Canada sent a team full of Europe based players they might be successful, but it would mostly be a waste in my opinion. I would rather Canada lose this tournament but provide valuable experience for even one future Olympian than win with players who will never compete in the Olympics or World Cup.

I pretty much 100% agree with this perspective. It's a developmental tournament for Canada, none of the players based in Europe are going to factor into future Olympic or World Cup rosters.... but those Euro based players can help the others adjust to international ice and other facets of the international game, so a handful of them may be of good use. They're likely replacing a mediocre NHLer that will never otherwise represent Canada anyway. The quality of the team doesn't really suffer talent wise and may actually improve.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
How do we not support the Olympics ?

or

How do North American countries not support the Olympics ?

Alot of NA poster whined about injuries and that they rather would watch NHL hockey than Olympic hockey. Seems like Bettman agrees and boom u have Your 2016 world cup. Enjoy!

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
WC isn't a best on best. A lot of NHLers can't attend because of the playoffs. A lot choose not to for personal / health reasons. But it gives those who want the extra ice time / experience / chance to play for Canada the opportunity to go.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
We euros support the Olympics, but u dnt. U want the world cup, so make it.

Last time i checked- Canada also supports the Olympics, and were one of the most dominant defensive teams ever when they won the Gold Medal this year 4 months ago. Canada has won the last 3 out of 4 Olympics. Do not know what you are talking about how Canada does not support the Olympics.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

I don't think your gonna get any argument from any sane hockey fan that it's an irrelevant tournament as far as determining hockey powers.....but if the fans want it over there and the players want to go..why stop them? I guess its kind of sad that the canadians who do go are a proud bunch and representing us, but theres really no support from us, as we're all fully invested in the stanley cup playoffs...but if they want to do it, do it...they're not hurting anyone.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
Last time i checked- Canada also supports the Olympics, and were one of the most dominant defensive teams ever when they won the Gold Medal this year 4 months ago. Canada has won the last 3 out of 4 Olympics. Do not know what you are talking about how Canada does not support the Olympics.

So why do u want a world cup and not let players go to Korea 2018? Its not up to Bettman. Its up to the Canadian fans. If Canada say YES to the Olympics, then Bettman has to send the players. Its all about profit. NHL would make less profit without the Canadian market. Thats my point.

Its the same whining when it comes to WHC. Injuries, that russian players wants an early playoff exit, so that they can join team russia. Ive read some threads and posts over the years. Its a bunch of whining and enough is enough. So go on. Do whatever u like. just dnt bother the rest of us.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
So why do u want a world cup and not let players go to Korea 2018? Its not up to Bettman. Its up to the Canadian fans. If Canada say YES to the Olympics, then Bettman has to send the players. Its all about profit. NHL would make less profit without the Canadian market. Thats my point.

Its the same whining when it comes to WHC. Injuries, that russian players wants an early playoff exit, so that they can join team russia. Ive read some threads and posts over the years. Its a bunch of whining and enough is enough. So go on. Do whatever u like. just dnt bother the rest of us.

What?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Canada does not have as strong players outside the NHL as the other bigger nations.. I know it is a long shot.. But hypothetically...

Say the Canadians are relegated from the world championships.. Would they then have to qualify to play the olympics? And as this is done during the NHL season... Would they make it?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

No. You are completely wrong. It is up to the NHL and Bettman (headquarters in New York City) to make a final decision. Most owners seem to be against 2018. We the fans can only complain.

Plus, you are misrepresenting the views of most Canadian fans when you say that we don't want NHL players in Korea 2018. The vast majority of us do want NHL players to keep on participating. But we also want a World Cup as well.

Last edited:

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
No. You are completely wrong. It is up to the NHL and Bettman (headquarters in New York City) to make a final decision. Most owners seem to be against 2018. We the fans can only complain.

Plus, you are misrepresenting the views of most Canadian fans when you say that we don't want NHL players in Korea 2018. The vast majority of us do want NHL players to keep on participating. But we also want a World Cup as well.

No. U can do more. Bettman got away With several lockouts, because u let him. He will ruin the Olympics aswell, because u let him. Its not enough to complain. U need to act. Stop going to games. The owners are greedy and Money is all that Counts. No Money, no fun.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
No. U can do more. Bettman got away With several lockouts, because u let him. He will ruin the Olympics aswell, because u let him. Its not enough to complain. U need to act. Stop going to games. The owners are greedy and Money is all that Counts. No Money, no fun.

The NHL is not some Canadian national league, and it's not exactly easy to perfectly organize 30+ million people for one (relatively unimportant) goal. Also, if you're expecting Canadians to pick the Olympics over the NHL... there is no chance. People want both, but the NHL generally comes first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad