Should all transgressions be left on the ice in pick up, or do a few excuse calling the police?

Should all transgressions be handled only on the ice between players?

• Total voters

beenhereandthere

Jan 30, 2012
Evergray State
Of course all that are serious merit a rink incident report, but I’m talking say, slashing someone who’s sitting on the boards in the bench area or the bench itself, from the ice, or shooting the puck on purpose at a player or coach on the bench or writing racial slurs on someone’s bag or equipment when the bag is in th Locker room?

In summary while most things can and should be handled on the ice IMO, I certainly don’t feel ALL things like some players do should be handled on the ice especially in non competitive Hockey

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
When you jump into a hockey game, you have to accept that you signed up for certain things, that can be REASONABLY be expected to occur during a typical game. Some of them potentially dangerous.

In a pick up game, you don't sign up for getting slashed while on the bench, or agree to the possibility of having your personal property damaged. Such things go beyond the reasonable. And firing the puck into the bench and slashing someone sitting on the bench, IMHO, is a deliberate attempt to injure. At the very least, it's reckless and endangers people unnecessarily.

If this happened during a regular pick up game, I'd ask the organizer to deal with it, otherwise I wouldn't be coming back.

Now, if this becomes a regular issue with a certain person that you can't avoid, filing a police report wouldn't be a bad idea. They probably won't have much to act on--not that I'd know anything about such things--but at the very least, you protect your own ass by documenting the incident. It shows that something happened on a certain date, and you can used that as proof if it happens again or if you need to sue someone's ass.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
I agree about the idea that such irregular behavior should be reported. It also provides you a possible defense if a pattern of bad behaviour is documented and you accidentally (on purpose) deal with the situation yourself.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm sure there is a scenario where police involvement is needed.

But I've yet to see it.

I play ball hockey, and about a month ago, some meathead on the other team jumped one of my smallest players and attempted to slam his head on the ground repeatedly. The dude on the other team was about 6'4, 250 lbs, while my guy is 5'8, 150 lbs. My teammate got out of there with a micro-fracture to the nose.

I threatened the league to call the police if they didn't ban the guy.

Reactions: LeifUK

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I play ball hockey, and about a month ago, some meathead on the other team jumped one of my smallest players and attempted to slam his head on the ground repeatedly. The dude on the other team was about 6'4, 250 lbs, while my guy is 5'8, 150 lbs. My teammate got out of there with a micro-fracture to the nose.

I threatened the league to call the police if they didn't ban the guy.
It's different in mens league. People have to go to work the next day and pay a mortgage. They don't sign up for complete goonery.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Ive been in those situations, Generally one of two things happens..

Either that player is never invited back by the organizer or I don't go back. If things are a mess in pickup, I just don't go back. In one instance I sat on the bench for 10 minutes of the game while guys on my team floated. I'm not one to cry for playing time so If I see stuff like that, I just don't go back.

Some pickup games are run really well by the organizer, and some are a gong show. When you find a good one, stick with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad