Shorthanded Achievements

JMT21

I Give A Dam!
Aug 8, 2011
In My House
There are (5) shorthanded goal records I believe 4 of which may never be broken.

Most SHG career : Wayne Gretzky : (73)

Most SHG single season : Mario Lemieux : (13)

Most SHG one game ; one player : Theo Fleury : (3)

Most SHG during a single PK : Boston Bruins : (3). Elapsed time : 64 seconds.

The one record that surprised me most that has yet to be equaled or broken.

Most SHG goals by one team in a single game. Post original 6 expansion era.

Winnipeg Jets (4) : April 7, 1995 vs Vancouver Canucks.

The record I couldn't track down was most SHG single game.. both teams. Anyone?

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Wow, impressive achievements. Who is second to Gretzky in career shorties?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I don't think Fleury's 3 in a game will ever be broken. Just can't imagine someone getting 4 in a game. However, if it does happen it'll be an obscure name that we don't expect like Jordan Staal or something. Someone who just got lucky one night and was in the right place.

Gretzky's 73 will be tough as well.

But in a single season? Yeah, I think 13 is beatable. Mario did it, and Gretzky is second with 12 and they each had high amounts in other seasons. However, there are some obscure names that did very well. Brian Rolston had 9 in 2002. Steve Sullivan had 8 in 2001. Dave Reid had 8 in 1991. The best of the bunch Martin St. Louis had 8 in 2004. So we're talking about 5 short handed goals being the difference here and when you think of all the penalties that are being killed that isn't hard to imagine it being beaten someday.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Marleau has had two shorthanded goals in a game twice in his career to date as well as back-to-back playoff games shorthanded goals. It helps that he has world-class wheels and soft hands.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
SH goals by defenseman (career)
Mark Howe 26
Paul Coffey 20
Ray Bourque 16
Bobby Orr 15
Chris Chelios 13
Jimmy Roberts 11
Steve Duchesne 10
Nicklas Lidström 10
Al MacInnis 10
Denis Potvin 10

Active guys: Chara 6, Timonen 6, Keith 5, Ballard 4, Morris 4, Weber 4, Hamhuis 3, Markov 3, Phillips 3, Tyutin 3

Noldo

May 28, 2007
One thing to note is that, if my memory serves me right, penalties called is nowadays significantly lower than in Gretzky/Lemieux era so getting the season record will be quite hard. And even though St.Louis was only 5 short in 2004, those five SH goals would have meant over 50% increasr in his SH production.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I consider Butch Goring's 40 SH goals to be a tremendous accomplishment. Only Gretzky, Messier, Lemieux and Yzerman scored more, and all of them were not killing penalties in the traditional sense. They were always out there looking to score first.

Ed Westfall's 8 shorties in the playoffs was good for 4rd all-time behind Messier, Gretzky and Kurri.

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
I consider Butch Goring's 40 SH goals to be a tremendous accomplishment. Only Gretzky, Messier, Lemieux and Yzerman scored more, and all of them were not killing penalties in the traditional sense. They were always out there looking to score first.

Ed Westfall's 8 shorties in the playoffs was good for 4rd all-time behind Messier, Gretzky and Kurri.

I don't know about the 06 era, but offensive players (aside from some defensemen) did not kill penalties much until the mid 80's and only on some teams. So Goring's totals are impressive, yet he may have had many more opportunities than Lafleur, Dionne, Perreault and other stars of his era. And I wouldn't necessarily say that Gretzky and the others you mentioned were looking to score first. They were definitely put out there because of their abilities to steal and posses the puck, which is a good a defensive strategy. They just created opportunities for themselves and teammates.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I don't know about the 06 era, but offensive players (aside from some defensemen) did not kill penalties much until the mid 80's and only on some teams. So Goring's totals are impressive, yet he may have had many more opportunities than Lafleur, Dionne, Perreault and other stars of his era. And I wouldn't necessarily say that Gretzky and the others you mentioned were looking to score first. They were definitely put out there because of their abilities to steal and posses the puck, which is a good a defensive strategy. They just created opportunities for themselves and teammates.

My point was that Goring was not an offensive star like Lafleur or Dionne or Perreault. He was a legit penalty killer who scored a lot of short-handed goals rather than an offensive star who killed penalties because of their offensive ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad