Shore, Harvey, Bourque, Potvin, and Kelly

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
1) Shore. The best defenceman not named Bobby Orr. For all of the reasons mentioned above, but also had terrific hockey sense, an excellent work ethic and preparation. I remember, when reck picked Shore for the first time in an ATD, put up a post on how Shore would study the boards of an arena, so that he could learn how the puck would bounce off the boards.

2) Harvey. A terrific two-way defenceman. A magnificent puck-rusher and power play quarterback who would have likely been a perennial 100-point defenceman if he would have played after Orr arrived. Beat Kelly for the Norris twice.

3) Bourque. Some will say Potvin belongs here, and Potvin was definitely more physical than Bourque. But I'd say Bourque was better offensively and defensively. Yeah, Bourque never hit 100 points (he did score at or around that clip a couple times). But Bourque was a brilliant puck-mover, a power play quarterback, and owner of one of the best shots ever. Should have won the Hart in 1990. I believe he's the only unanimous select for the Norris since Orr (1990), and he nearly turned the trick in 1987, too, when he was a Hart finalist. Instantly the best defensive defenceman in the league, and one of the best offensive defencemen in the league.

4) Potvin. Skilled, tough and vicious. Arguably the best player on the great Islanders dynasty of the 1980s. Topped 100 points once. Topped 100 PIMs five times. (And I don't think they were for hooking). First defenceman to reach 1,000 points. A five-time first-team all-star. Three-time Norris winner. Only thing he didn't win was the Conn Smythe, but that doesn't detract from his contribution to the Islanders dynasty.

5) Kelly. How good was Leonard Kelly? He was putting up 50-point seasons at a time when no other defenceman topped 30. Bill Quackenbush (who is right around one of the top 100 players ever) was a skilled two-way defenceman. Quackenbush's career high was 29 points. Kelly was exceptional defensively, and played a very clean game. Some similarities to Lidstrom, but I would say Kelly was a cut above offensively. Would have won three or four Norris Trophies if it existed before 54, would have won three if his competition wasn't Doug Harvey.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
[Potvins's] injuries over the years had hampered him. He was playing in pain much of the time, and still was great. His playing style led to this. He decided he did not like the way he was progressing(His very words) and decided to hang them up rather than fade away.

All true.

I recall him lamenting that "my body has betrayed me".

Keenan called him in '94 to see if he would step out of retirment and join NYR for the Cup run. Potvin recently recounted this story.

His last NHL season he recorded 19 goals from the backline and was still tough as nails. Enough said.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
1) Shore. The best defenceman not named Bobby Orr. For all of the reasons mentioned above, but also had terrific hockey sense, an excellent work ethic and preparation. I remember, when reck picked Shore for the first time in an ATD, put up a post on how Shore would study the boards of an arena, so that he could learn how the puck would bounce off the boards.

2) Harvey. A terrific two-way defenceman. A magnificent puck-rusher and power play quarterback who would have likely been a perennial 100-point defenceman if he would have played after Orr arrived. Beat Kelly for the Norris twice.

3) Bourque. Some will say Potvin belongs here, and Potvin was definitely more physical than Bourque. But I'd say Bourque was better offensively and defensively. Yeah, Bourque never hit 100 points (he did score at or around that clip a couple times). But Bourque was a brilliant puck-mover, a power play quarterback, and owner of one of the best shots ever. Should have won the Hart in 1990. I believe he's the only unanimous select for the Norris since Orr (1990), and he nearly turned the trick in 1987, too, when he was a Hart finalist. Instantly the best defensive defenceman in the league, and one of the best offensive defencemen in the league.

4) Potvin. Skilled, tough and vicious. Arguably the best player on the great Islanders dynasty of the 1980s. Topped 100 points once. Topped 100 PIMs five times. (And I don't think they were for hooking). First defenceman to reach 1,000 points. A five-time first-team all-star. Three-time Norris winner. Only thing he didn't win was the Conn Smythe, but that doesn't detract from his contribution to the Islanders dynasty.

5) Kelly. How good was Leonard Kelly? He was putting up 50-point seasons at a time when no other defenceman topped 30. Bill Quackenbush (who is right around one of the top 100 players ever) was a skilled two-way defenceman. Quackenbush's career high was 29 points. Kelly was exceptional defensively, and played a very clean game. Some similarities to Lidstrom, but I would say Kelly was a cut above offensively. Would have won three or four Norris Trophies if it existed before 54, would have won three if his competition wasn't Doug Harvey.

This is how my ranking would go as well.

I do think that Potvin at his best was better than Bourque at his best. Very close, but I would give Bourque the overall edge, when you factor in his ridiculous durability and longevity. A much longer time period of elite hockey.

Hockeynomad

Sep 10, 2007
Toronto
I like Harvey as he was one player ahead of his time. He was like a precurser of Bobby Orr to come in last 60s.

Harvey rather than dump the puck chose to circle back when the scenario didn't look good for an attack and regroup and try again. Relinquishing possession of the puck was quite contrary to the Harvey way and just arbitrarily dumping the puck made no sense to him.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
I like Harvey as he was one player ahead of his time. He was like a precurser of Bobby Orr to come in last 60s.

Harvey rather than dump the puck chose to circle back when the scenario didn't look good for an attack and regroup and try again. Relinquishing possession of the puck was quite contrary to the Harvey way and just arbitrarily dumping the puck made no sense to him.

Harvey was ridiculous. I only wish i saw Shore with my own eyes. My father used to tell me all about Shore, and his descriptions used all make any other defenseman short of Orr seem paltry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad