Shooting with open toe curve

nicholas421

Jan 17, 2011
My 9 y.o. son was playing with a Crosby curve for about a year. His shot was fast and accurate. This past Christmas, I got him an SE16 with a Sakic curve, much more open at the toe. His shot has gone to heck. It is weak, wobbly and all over the place. Any ideas on what he may be doing wrong? How should he adjust? Thanks

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham
Its just going to take time for him to get used to it. If I may ask, why change in the first place? Don't fix what isn't broken. I have experimented with a few different curves, but always find myself coming back to the Easton Forsberg because its what works best for me. Just get him practicing the shot wherever possible. Just has to get used to it and get a feel for it.

nicholas421

Jan 17, 2011
If I may ask, why change in the first place? Don't fix what isn't broken.

I wanted him to be able to get better lift when closer to the net. I didn't realize it would affect his shot so much. If he can't adjust within the next couple weeks I will have him go back.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Which Crosby curve? A lot of the Crosby's look like less open Sakics to me, but it might be different for junior sticks.

Shooting with the Sakic (more of an open mid) is more cupping the puck and quick, hard wrist snaps. I would shoot more from the mid/toe and not from the heel.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Toe curves are siiiiick. Just got one recently (Gionta) my wrist shot is so much better than before.

Anyway, if you want him to stick with the curve, then he's gotta practice and he'll get used to it, otherwise switch back to the other one.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I wanted him to be able to get better lift when closer to the net. I didn't realize it would affect his shot so much. If he can't adjust within the next couple weeks I will have him go back.

maybe you should let HIM choose whichever curve HE likes and wants to use?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
A open toe curve (if I understand the term right, a lot of open hook at the front of the blade, right?), is not really designed as a (clean) shooting curve IMO.

1. It gives you a good backhand option, since there is little hook from the heel and out so to speak.

2. Its usful when stickhandling, you can like pull the puck back with the front of your blade. Good for nifty stickhandling moves.

3. And when shooting, you can a) roof the puck more easily (compared to a straigther blade) and b) the shot is often pretty irregular so to speak.

But its not a perfect shot hook, its a combination of stickhandling/shooting/backhand hook so to speak.

I could imagine that a open toe curve might demand a tad more strength in the hand then a blade with more hook cloose to the heel. That might be a reason for why your son's shot went downhill so much when changing blades.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I know many grumpy, low IQ, coches would not agree with this -- but I am not sure if I would recommend many of the "pro's" curves for kids.

I actually think kids need more curve then the pro's. For a pro like Crosby its very important to be able to always controll the puck extremely fast and use the one option that is available to him, not to mention that passes at the NHL level the passes are so hard that they'll easily just bounce up into the air if you have too much hoo.

I've seen how many Swede's for example cut back on their curve when going to the NHL, its understandable and adviseable. But we aren't talking about the NHL level here.

A kid do not have that need. Really. I think it would be a lot more important for a kid to be able to shoot well and stickhandle well then make the ultra simple fast pass.

nicholas421

Jan 17, 2011
Thanks everyone for the advice. I had him try shooting from the middle of the blade instead of the heel at practice yesterday. He had better control but the puck still comes off wobbly and not like a Frisbee. I'll have him shoot a couple hundred pucks in the garage and see what happens.

As for having HIM pick the curve, I think he is too young to know what is best. He wanted a Kremlin (Ovi) curve for Christ's sake! Most kids his age will pick based on the NHL player they admire most... not the best criteria for picking equipment in my opinion.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Even after playing for several years as an adult, I'm still surprised how much more power I get on my shot just moving to a Drury. Literally everything else I've tried reduces my shot power and introduces more flutter into the shot, while the Drury puts the puck Frisbee-flat. Sometimes I wonder about having kids learn to shoot with flatter or closed blades if an open wedge is so highly preferred by college and pro players...maybe learning to control the wedge at a young age would be better.

But the old-school coach Howie Meeker used to preach that kids under 12 shouldn't even worry about shooting the puck because they lack the strength. He used to say he wouldn't teach a kid to shoot a wrist shot until he could do 20 pushups on his fingertips, because you'd be able to stop that shot with your bare hands otherwise. He stressed skating, skating, skating, followed by puck control and passing. He didn't want the kids to worry about systems either, just have fun, improve your skills, and play as much as you can. I'd follow that same mindset with my kid, although he's too young to do anything other than bat a ball around with a plastic stick right now.

Anyways, I think the general idea behind having a kid learning to play with a flatter blade is to emphasize development of his passing and puck control game compared to his shooting. Now I haven't watched a ton of kids but I've never seen a kid under 13-14 who had a good strong shot. They just don't have the strength. But I've seen kids as young as 5 who can skate like the wind and handle a puck pretty well. I'd worry a lot more about that than I would his shooting.

nicholas421

Jan 17, 2011
Now I haven't watched a ton of kids but I've never seen a kid under 13-14 who had a good strong shot. They just don't have the strength.

You should go watch a tier 1 squirt or pee wee game. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Thanks everyone for the advice. I had him try shooting from the middle of the blade instead of the heel at practice yesterday. He had better control but the puck still comes off wobbly and not like a Frisbee. I'll have him shoot a couple hundred pucks in the garage and see what happens.

As for having HIM pick the curve, I think he is too young to know what is best. He wanted a Kremlin (Ovi) curve for Christ's sake! Most kids his age will pick based on the NHL player they admire most... not the best criteria for picking equipment in my opinion.

What's wrong with that? He's 9 years old haha, I'm not telling you how to raise your kid, I just find it curious that you care so much about the curve he's using.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad