Shooting and Soft Hands

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I have a question...I know it sounds kind of dumb, but what does 'soft hands' mean in reference to shooting? I know it's talking about gripping the stick too hard, but I have a problem with taking a shot and it hurts the bones in my hand with the reverb from the stick hitting the ice. Is that something I just have to get used to, or am I doing it wrong? How hard am I supposed to grip the stick when I shoot?

Thanks,

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
Ive never heard softhands used in reference to shooting... Usually you hear soft hands referring to someones ability to stick handle or receive passes well.

For your problem...you might just be taking the shot wrong or have a very poor quality stick...Im going to guess its both. When I started up Id take the occasional stinger from a shot in my hands, like with a baseball bat, but as my mechanics got better I havent ever felt one since. Make sure you are hitting the ice flush with your blade and allowing the "kick" of the shaft to release versus pounding your blade into the ice.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Usually when you are getting pain or vibrations from the shot it's because the stick is too stiff. I had tennis elbow when I first started playing from using a chopped down 87 flex stick (I'm 5'8)...no problems with 60-75 flex sticks ever since.

Sticks too stiff can cause wrist and elbow problems unless you've got great technique and lots of strength. When you take a shot, the force of your weight transfer and muscles goes through your arms and into the stick, then to the puck. If the stick doesn't bend and your elbows/wrists aren't locked, the force goes into those joints and can cause pain or injury.

Soft hands refers to catching passes and stickhandling usually.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Usually when you are getting pain or vibrations from the shot it's because the stick is too stiff. I had tennis elbow when I first started playing from using a chopped down 87 flex stick (I'm 5'8)...no problems with 60-75 flex sticks ever since.

Sticks too stiff can cause wrist and elbow problems unless you've got great technique and lots of strength. When you take a shot, the force of your weight transfer and muscles goes through your arms and into the stick, then to the puck. If the stick doesn't bend and your elbows/wrists aren't locked, the force goes into those joints and can cause pain or injury.

Soft hands refers to catching passes and stickhandling usually.

Ok, cool. Thanks. Maybe my flex is too high (85) or I'm just using horrible technique.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
I try to keep soft hands for stick handling and sending/receiving passes, but when I shoot I really tighten my grip. I used to try to shoot with 'soft hands' and the stick would just twist on me when I hit the puck/ice since I wasn't stabilizing it. A tight grip when I'm shooting keeps the stick straight through my shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad