Shoot (high/low) or Deke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
SkateLikeTheWind said:
You and the goalie...

What are you more likely to do? Shoot high/low or deke?

I like to deke unless he's giving up a huge hole somewhere.
Most times I will shoot high glove if he catches with his left hand. Otherwise I deke.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Stick side has the most holes. So I go for just over the pad when I shoot. But normally I'll deke.

edit: to clarify, just over where the pad would be when flat.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
if i'm playing a goalie under 6 feet, i shoot just inside the post along the ice, try it - it works everytime

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
FLYLine4LIFE said:
I always deke for 5 hole. I can score about 75% with my deke.
whats your deke?

and i normally deke and wait for the goalie to bite then shoot up top

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
If there's time, it depends on where the goalie is. If he's back in the net, I usually shoot stick side low. If he's out, I usually fake high then go backhand and try and slip the puck underneath while he is moving.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Nothing makes me happier than torching a goalie 1 on 1. So unless he's leaving a large space to shoot at, I'm gonna try to turn him inside out.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Ludwig Fell Down said:
If there's time, it depends on where the goalie is. If he's back in the net, I usually shoot stick side low. If he's out, I usually fake high then go backhand and try and slip the puck underneath while he is moving.

Most open spot against A and lower skilled goalies...

PDO

Jan 12, 2005
Edmonton
Depends.. I'm assuming this is a breakaway?

If I'm coming straight in.. one of two things I'll do. First move (and favourite) is to do a shoulder dip to try and freeze the goalie a bit and then go high blocker, right under the crossbar. Second move is an inside-outside deke. I'll cut to my left (left handed shot) and then pull it to the back hand and either go fivehole or shelf, depending on how the goalie reacts.

If I'm really cocky and have all sorts of time I'll occasionally try to pull Zhamnov/Forsberg's 1 handed deke ;).

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Kardi said:
whats your deke?

and i normally deke and wait for the goalie to bite then shoot up top

Deke wide to forhand..then back to to my backhand..but right before the puck gets to the backhand i push it forward between the goalie legs. It works almost all the time. Its very very simple when you get the hang of it.

It might sound a little confusing the way i describe it..i got it that deke from #66...he makes it look so easy and it really is.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
easiest way is a shoulder dip to shake the goalie a little, then pull it to your backhand and slip it in the five hole as he slides over to adjust to your move.

HockeyMan9

Jul 1, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
A lot of times I'll fake a deke, make it like i'm going to the right, then try to tuck it inside the left post about a foot off the ice. Sounds complicated but it has worked many times.

CH Wizard

Omg, I've a hell of a wrist shot...in the All star game I scored 5 goals in the high slot...I like doing dekes...I do a nice deke and complete with a nice backhand...I wish I had some videos...

I like to do dekes but like in a critic situation, I always shoot (in the high slot).

West19

Jul 19, 2004
i have only 2 moves on breakaways, deke to the backhand and roof it or shoot for the low corners

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
As a goalie I love players who have a pre-planned move and have their minds set that they will go with it before they even get to me. If you don't play it smart and wait for me to give you an advantage, you probably wont beat me.

teamstag

Jun 18, 2005
Spruce Grove
I'm not great a deking yet so I tend to just pick a spot and shoot for it. Although I have deked out a few goalies even though I had no idea what I was doing.

Mackee

Oct 9, 2003
Montreal
Considering my hands of stone, I'll shoot nine times out of ten. Mostly high blocker side but I've been having much more success with low shots.

I'll deke if the goalie has committed himself and not backed up in his crease. Most goalies I play against aren't that aggressive though.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
SkateLikeTheWind said:
You and the goalie...

What are you more likely to do? Shoot high/low or deke?

I like to deke unless he's giving up a huge hole somewhere.

Everything should depend on how the goalie is positioned and playing you.

If he comes out and challenges I'll deke, and usually go to the backhand.

If he's staying deep in his net shoot the puck, either top corner over his glove, or low to the stick side.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
I usually spend the whole warm up at center ice watching the goalie. If he's a butterfly guy I'll drop a shoulder to get him to go down and then go top shelf or a stand up guy I'll get him to move left or right and go 5 hole.

Last edited:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Steelhead16 said:
I usually spend the whole warm up at center ice watching the goalie. If he's a butterfly guy I'll drop a shoulder to get him to go down and then go top shelf or a stand up guy I'll get him to move left or right and go 5 hole.

Jeez man, you should spend the warmup worrying about warming up. Watching a goalie in warmup is usually useless, they don't play like they play in a game - at least I don't. Once I start sweating I just spend most of the warmup standing up using my legs and arms on a reflex only basis just to get my muscle quickness going. For a few minutes at the end of warmup I switch and go all out flopping around to get loose and get the heart rate up. Once the game starts I play a completely different style.

Jack Canuck

Sep 12, 2003
Hawaii
Visit site
I like to cut to the left side and as soon as the goalie comits to following me I try to pull back and put it in the top right corner. If he is slow to comit I try to backhand it just inside the left post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad