Signing(s): Shohei Ohtani signs with the Dodgers (10 years, $700 million)

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Soo..what does that mean then? He isn't getting paid every year? He gets a fraction of 700 million every year until the end of the deal? How do they defer that much money each year?
It means the sticker price is $700 million but the actual value is probably closer to $500 million. We won't actually know until we get annual figures.

He's absolutely getting paid a lot every year - the question is how much.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
It means the sticker price is $700 million but the actual value is probably closer to $500 million. We won't actually know until we get annual figures.

He's absolutely getting paid a lot every year - the question is how much.
500 million is no less absurd than 700. Half a billion dollars for a DH? Insanity.

I've said it lots and I'll say it again. As a Jays fan it would have been thrilling to land him, but I don't think it was a smart move in the long run. Some people out there though who seem to think that not wanting a contract that massive on the payroll is just cope.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I do think that's an awful lot of money to pay for a DH. Gotta put up something like 50 WAR to be worth this - a rather tall order.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
At the end of the day, Ohtani like everyone is just about the money.

Yanks and Dodgers making the biggest splash as usual. Nothing to see here.
Depending on the deferral he might have even taken less to go to the Dodgers. So much for wanting his privacy in smaller market. Was a good ride now let's see what happens with the dominoes.

Reactions: uncleben

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
So he gets to stay in same location, a ton of money, great team in a terrible division. Pretty smart move for him

Annual reminder JP Morosi doesn’t have sources and constantly make things up.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
500 million is no less absurd than 700. Half a billion dollars for a DH? Insanity.

I've said it lots and I'll say it again. As a Jays fan it would have been thrilling to land him, but I don't think it was a smart move in the long run. Some people out there though who seem to think that not wanting a contract that massive on the payroll is just cope.
They’re both absurd numbers, but if his decision came down to getting 70 million a year versus a paltry 50 then he may as well just come out and say the money was the only thing he wanted. He probably would have stayed in Anaheim mired in mediocrity if they offered him the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad