Rumor: SHL FA Mathias Bromé considering offers from Van/Det

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2006
Probably worth the gamble since he'd presumably add cheap forward depth if he's any good.

Never seen him play but he could be a guy like Nygard has been for the Oilers.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Remember when....Fabian Brunnstrom was going to save Dave Nonis’ job?

Oh when Gillis was first hired there were posters here who spoke highly of Nonis' offseason plan to improve the team as he finally had cap space.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
From the gist of the article, he's a top-six forward in the AHL; and a depth forward at the NHL-level. Don't the Canucks already have enough 25-year old 'bubble players'?

Reactions: Son of Petter

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
With these mid-20s Euros what you’re looking for is 1) can he skate? and 2) how is his motor and three-zone game. If you get a fast player who hustles with a bit of skill for $800k that’s a worthwhile investment. But if it’s just a 3rd rate skill player with defensive warts there’s no point.

And I have no idea as to the answer to either question on Brome.

Reactions: mossey3535

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
From the gist of the article, he's a top-six forward in the AHL; and a depth forward at the NHL-level. Don't the Canucks already have enough 25-year old 'bubble players'?
Utica is doing okay this season because of our mid 20s bubble players like Reid Boucher, Sven Baertschi, and Nikolay Goldobin. Better to have that depth and have guys that might be able to be 13th/14th forward being sent down than the Utica teams we have seen in the last few years before this

I don't mind bringing a guy like this over to be a top 6 AHL guy or NHL call up. Maybe he does well and we get a good free asset, and maybe he doesn't and Utica gets a good free asset for 1-2 years before he goes back to Sweden. I'd say it's worth, but I actually don't know how close we are to the contract limit

Reactions: mossey3535

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Utica is doing okay this season because of our mid 20s bubble players like Reid Boucher, Sven Baertschi, and Nikolay Goldobin. Better to have that depth and have guys that might be able to be 13th/14th forward being sent down than the Utica teams we have seen in the last few years before this

I don't mind bringing a guy like this over to be a top 6 AHL guy or NHL call up. Maybe he does well and we get a good free asset, and maybe he doesn't and Utica gets a good free asset for 1-2 years before he goes back to Sweden. I'd say it's worth, but I actually don't know how close we are to the contract limit
Never heard of this guy before this thread popped up.....but if he's signing a one-way NHL contract to play in N.A.then it won't be in the AHL with the Utica Comets.....he'll sign with Detroit where he'll have a much better shot at cracking an NHL lineup.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Never heard of this guy before this thread popped up.....but if he's signing a one-way NHL contract to play in N.A.then it won't be in the AHL with the Utica Comets.....he'll sign with Detroit where he'll have a much better shot at cracking an NHL lineup.
It depends. He might not want to develop in a dumpster fire right now either.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Scouting report looks like he’s a very versatile speedy winger with good puck skills and scoring ability. In his league at least. He does well internationally as well.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It depends. He might not want to develop in a dumpster fire right now either.
If the scouting reports are accurate, and he's a bottom six winger at the NHL then who's he going to replace on the Canucks? Is he better than Roussel, Beagle, Sutter, Eriksson, Baertschi and Ferland? Possibly. But those guys all have guaranteed contracts for a combined $24m through next season.

Brome sounds like he perfect winger for your bottom six, speedy and could come in at a reasonable contract. But when you're stuck with the 'ankle-weight' contracts swimming in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean like the Canucks, there's just no room for him unless it's in Utica as a depth forward.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Oh when Gillis was first hired there were posters here who spoke highly of Nonis' offseason plan to improve the team as he finally had cap space.

Not really what I remember. Nonis was fired in April, so there really wasn't much time to get an idea of his "offseason plan". Rather the distinction was more that he would finally have some cap space to make some moves, and people were pumped that he was going to get the big prospect UFA Brunnstrom was going to sign here (which can be determined in April) and pretty apoplectic when Nonis was fired and Brunnstrom changed his plans.

Once Gillis got working though, and it became understood that Nonis' basic plan in addition to Brunnstrom was to just resign Naslund and Morrison, no one missed him.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

I was one of those people. Also hated the Gillis hire as he was so unproven, and did not like that he abandoned the free asset in Brunström.

Reactions: F A N
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad