Prospect Info: SHL champion Elias Pettersson | SHL scoring champion, playoff MVP, WC gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
I have to say, the knee jerk reactions on both sides is becoming pretty tiresome, albeit amusing. One minute he's the next potential superstar, and the next the mob mentality kicks in and he's not doing well 5 on 5 and it's "concerning". If he does well this tournament, great, but I'm holding his play in the SEL against men in much higher regard than the juniors. People seriously need some patience.

Last edited:

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I have to say, the knee jerk reactions on both sides is becoming pretty tiresome, albeit amusing. One minute he's the next potential superstore, and the next the mob mentality kicks in and he's not doing well 5 on 5 and it's "concerning". If he does well this tournament, great, but I'm holding his play in the SEL against men in much higher regard than the juniors. People seriously need some patience.

You say that like you've never been on HFBoards before. Knee jerk reactions are nothing new on these forums.

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
I have to say, the knee jerk reactions on both sides is becoming pretty tiresome, albeit amusing. One minute he's the next potential superstore, and the next the mob mentality kicks in and he's not doing well 5 on 5 and it's "concerning". If he does well this tournament, great, but I'm holding his play in the SEL against men in much higher regard than the juniors. People seriously need some patience.

Good hopefully the lineups are shorter :naughty:

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I'm happy Pettersen can silence some of the player development experts that take time out of their busy careers to post in these forums

LOL That is funny.

What do we mean by "player development experts"? Would we rather not have discussion about how he can get better? We would rather have no discussion about "Player development" on a Hockey FUTURES board?

Sorry for providing my attempt at a balanced view on a hockey forum board.

I will go back to my career in player development now rather than try to offer some value in the odd post here. Cheers

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
You say that like you've never been on HFBoards before. Knee jerk reactions are nothing new on these forums.

Hahaha oh trust me, I'm fully aware of them. It's just that since he started playing at this level, it's almost as if people are watching him and expecting something special or a point every time he plays. That's a pretty fantastic sentiment to just how well he's been playing, but it's important to note that he is still a prospect, albeit a very promising one. And reading through this thread, it just becomes funny reading the literal swings in emotion regarding his play :laugh:

Reactions: TruKnyte

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com

agreed. the the attitude on this board trends in incredibly sour/intimidating in a way anytime someone criticizes his play without getting over reaction/repercussions (is not a word im looking for atm....)

i think most of on both side can at least admire his game just as much as anyone, but at the same time, criticize something to work on in the next level.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I’m happy to see him playing at a level that puts him amongst the top players his own age. Cognitively I have a difficult time reconciling him being viewed as one of the best U20’s in the world and not playing like one of the best U20’s at these tournaments, esp when the games are played on the same NA sized rinks that NHL games are played on.

This is good to see.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I have to say, the knee jerk reactions on both sides is becoming pretty tiresome, albeit amusing. One minute he's the next potential superstar, and the next the mob mentality kicks in and he's not doing well 5 on 5 and it's "concerning". If he does well this tournament, great, but I'm holding his play in the SEL against men in much higher regard than the juniors. People seriously need some patience.

The over analysis that goes on over these week and half tournaments is always a gong show, we went through it with horvat and boeser as well. I still remember the comments about horvat how we drafted someone whose ceiling was a 3c.

Lias anderson has looked like one of the best of any forwards in these tournaments and yet even rangers fans will tell you he is not at petterssons level when it comes to the shl. They even feel chytil who is ripping up the AHL is the first pick they made and lias the second, but internationally over these week long tournaments against jr players, lias has looked as good as anyone from that draft class and after the summer showcase some claimed he was the best Swedish prospect.

Hell brannstrom to me looks better then dahlin this tournament, but I wouldnt take him over dahlin because of it. Even going back I remember thinking marner should have went ahead of strome in the draft and some friends disagreed, and then world jr rolled around and strome looked much better and that's all I heard about. I just find it so hard to make judgments on these tournaments. And I liked the andersson pick at 7 by rangers, I defended it draft day fwiw.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The over analysis that goes on over these week and half tournaments is always a gong show, we went through it with horvat and boeser as well.

Lias anderson has looked like one of the best of any forwards in these tournaments and yet even rangers fans will tell you he is not at petterssons level when it comes to the shl. They even feel chytil who is ripping up the AHL is the first pick they made and lias the second, but internationally over these week long tournaments against jr players, lias has looked as good as anyone from that draft class. Hell brannstrom to me looks better then dahlin this tournament, but I wouldnt take him over dahlin because of it. Even going back I remember thinking marner should have went ahead of strome in the draft and some friends disagreed, and then world jr rolled around and strome looked much better and that's all I heard about. I just find it so hard to make judgments on these tournaments. And I liked the andersson pick at 7 by rangers, I defended it draft day fwiw.

I don’t think you can use this tournament as a scalpel to discern precise order of prospects and their ultimate NHL upside, but every player you listed above have all played well at this tournament and that is the main thing. I personally don’t need Pettersson to be the tourny’s leading scorer to feel his elite status validated but I do need him to be one of the better players here at minimum. I really don’t see what is so unrealistic about that. These tournaments are much more intense than a typical CHL or SHL game and therefore players are typically at or close to their peak “try” levels. If a player doesn’t perform well in this setting then I would doubt their ability to do so at an even higher level.

But yes, I wouldn’t use it to split hairs on players either, given that the NHL is another level up and players continue to progress even after the WJC ends.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I don’t think you can use this tournament as a scalpel to discern precise order of prospects and their ultimate NHL upside, but every player you listed above have all played well at this tournament and that is the main thing. I personally don’t need Pettersson to be the tourny’s leading scorer to feel his elite status validated but I do need him to be one of the better players here at minimum. I really don’t see what is so unrealistic about that. These tournaments are much more intense than a typical CHL or SHL game and therefore players are typically at or close to their peak “try” levels. If a player doesn’t perform well in this setting then I would doubt their ability to do so at an even higher level.

But yes, I wouldn’t use it to split hairs on players either, given that the NHL is another level up and players continue to progress even after the WJC ends.

That is also what makes them unrealistic, players are well rested and its a week and half long tournament (with random teams and lopsided games), no league will afford you this, players then play at unsustainable levels over a week and half without the need to pace themselves.

The try levels might be higher but i disagree about the level of hockey compared to the shl, shl play to me is much more similar to a pro game, and when playoffs roll around they also get very intense. One thing i notice in these jr games is how much the d backs in giving up the middle of the ice, that to me is not something that will happen with more mature players.

And nobody said you wanting him to be the best player is unrealistic (we had these discussions in the summer showcase when you were upset over his performance) but i personally as i have said many times put little stock in short sample size tournaments as a gauge for a player, you see it differently, we went through this over summer. I wanted boeser to be the best player when he played for usa, but he was not, when he returned and was chasing ncaa north Dakota records it was all but forgotten in my mind.

All i can say is we will see when these players hit the nhl. For me personally judging a players regular season has been a much better indicator for me.

Last edited:

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Only 2 PPG when playing against kids? Bust confirmed. I've heard Red Wings are willing to give Abdelkader and a 6th, Benning better take it while he has the chance.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
That is also what makes them unrealistic, players are well rested and its a week and half long tournament, no league will afford you this, players then play at unsustainable levels over a week and half without the need to pace themselves.

The try levels might be higher but i disagree about the level of hockey compared to the shl, shl play to me is much more similar to a pro game, and when playoffs roll around they also get very intense. One thing i notice in these jr games is how much the d backs in giving up the middle of the ice, that to me is not something that will happen with more mature players.

And nobody said you wanting him to be the best player is unrealistic (we had these discussions in the summer showcase when you were upset over his performance) but i personally as i have said many times put little stock in short sample size tournaments as a gauge for a player, you see it differently, we went through this over summer.

All i can say is we will see when these players hit the nhl. For me personally judging a players regular season has been a much better indicator for me.

I recall our discussions and found them interesting and more civil than most at the time. I don’t disagree that full seasons *can* be more indicative of future play but that doesn’t mean this tournament isn’t indicative as well. Generally they tend to correlate fairly well with each other as the top players in jr leagues also tend to be the top players in this tournament. I don’t think they give drastically different results tbh. But I don’t find the SHL style of play to be overly similar to the NHL style and think yesterdays Canada-US game much more stylistically similar in terms of tempo, space, and physicality. Performing well in that environment gives me more comfort than struggling in it.

And of course we will see the ultimate result when they hit the NHL, that’s a given. But since we all seem to enjoy dissecting and projecting these kids well before then I figure it shouldn’t be a taboo topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce