Shipachyov? What gives??

BFDBFD

Oct 9, 2007
Luanda, Angola
Hi folks -- Oiler fan, here in peace.

For fantasy hockey reasons, I'm wondering if any of you have any knowledge of what is going on with Ship? Supposed to be a marquee (30-year-old) rookie, yet he's playing around 10:30 a game? I know it's early days, but I thought the dude was a lock for PP1 and first-line duties.

Anyone have any insight?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
It's taking him some time to get used to the North American game, apparently.

They've been pretty cryptic with what's going on, the only real info that we've gotten is Gallant saying he's "okay" not great. We'll see if he gets some more time tonight.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I think you might be expecting Panarin level production since both Ship and Panarin are coming from similar backgrounds (couple years of seasoning in KHL, high playmaking attributes).

But the conditions both of them come into in the NHL differ greatly. Ship doesn't get to play with Kane, Keith, and Seabrook like Panarin does. We're going to have to really temper our expectations.

I think Ship might get closer to Jonas Donskoi production (35-40 pts) rather than Panarin production (PPG).

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
We'll see if he plays tonight.

We've got Haula and March ready to come off the injury list and it will require a move if they do.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
I think you might be expecting Panarin level production since both Ship and Panarin are coming from similar backgrounds (couple years of seasoning in KHL, high playmaking attributes).

But the conditions both of them come into in the NHL differ greatly. Ship doesn't get to play with Kane, Keith, and Seabrook like Panarin does. We're going to have to really temper our expectations.

I think Ship might get closer to Jonas Donskoi production (35-40 pts) rather than Panarin production (PPG).

Panarin doesn't get to play with Kane, Kieth or Seabrook anymore either since he's in Columnus now. But yes, Panarin won the lottery getting to slot right in to a strong Blackhawks team and so far it seems like he's carried that production potential to Columbus as well.

Being able to hit the ground running on a good team is huge for the confidence and would help the adjustment period. Vegas is playing well collectively but they're no Blackhawks.

Princeton

Aug 24, 2009
Shipachyov sent to AHL.

In my opinion you've basically jerked him around. Sent to minors before with poor communication as to why. Unable to deal defenceman that you need to jettison. Reinhart, Garrison in particular. Might as well kiss Gusev good-bye too with the way he's being treated. 10 mins a game because Gallant at first said he didn't know the system. Now what. I would ask to be released if I was him. And I am a Knights fan.

Reactions: Morrison

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
If Gusev wants to play in the NHL he's got no choice but to deal with us.

Hopefully Ship gets it, but GMGM needs to pull the trigger on some deals. If they send Tuch down when Haula's ready, I might riot.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
That happens when Leipsic plays in OT.
Ship and Tuch didn't play OT last game, seems they were not good enough.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Shipachyov sent to AHL.

In my opinion you've basically jerked him around. Sent to minors before with poor communication as to why. Unable to deal defenceman that you need to jettison. Reinhart, Garrison in particular. Might as well kiss Gusev good-bye too with the way he's being treated. 10 mins a game because Gallant at first said he didn't know the system. Now what. I would ask to be released if I was him. And I am a Knights fan.

Saying the team is jerking him around is ridiculous. He needs to play at a certain level to earn his spot with the big club and he either will, or he will spend some time sharpening what they want him to work on at the lower level.

This is why I said all along that the club's take on his status not being performance related is BS. The fact that he's the expendable roster option demonstrates the truth, and the playing time does as well.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
If Gusev wants to play in the NHL he's got no choice but to deal with us.

Hopefully Ship gets it, but GMGM needs to pull the trigger on some deals. If they send Tuch down when Haula's ready, I might riot.

Gusev is 25, he has 2 more years and he's a UFA, no?

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Everyone else is stepping up and the team is winning and scoring despite a bunch of injuries. How they treat Shippy is like #13 on their priority list right now. I mean really he's well paid no matter what to help the team. If that means playing in the AHL and showing what you can do there, so be it. Only agents and big ego players who live on the "respect" system care about how this team handles its players. This is the NHL where first and foremost you put your team first, not your ego or stats.

Reactions: rams

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Lawless on intermission talking Ship. He's having issues getting used to North American play. Tuch playing too well to demote. Hard to justify more NHL time given his play. It's GMGM culture, so you play well, or you don't stick around

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Everyone else is stepping up and the team is winning and scoring despite a bunch of injuries. How they treat Shippy is like #13 on their priority list right now. I mean really he's well paid no matter what to help the team. If that means playing in the AHL and showing what you can do there, so be it.

I think the issue is that he's never actually going to the AHL - when he gets "re-assigned", he just stays in Vegas with his wife and waits to be called up, so he's not actually getting used to playing on North American ice. When we do actually make a trade and keep him up, I'm curious to see if he'll get healthy-scratched or not - at least he'd be able to practice with the team.

At the end of the day, I'm wondering if having the time off will be good for him and his wife to get used to living in a new country, and getting acclimated to the city. The fact that he's getting paid VERY well only helps out, and rules out the idea of him trying to go back to the KHL or "find a way out of his contract" (why would he, his wife and his agent walk away from that kind of money?).

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Privet

Sep 25, 2015
Victoria, BC
I think Vegas should just part ways and accept a loss. Package Ship + Gusev together and get a solid return/prospect/picks back.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Rights of defected player held until he'd otherwise be UFA.

If you look through the player lists on NHL.com you'll find all sorts of examples that contradict this. For example, Anton Krysanov, age 30, drafted in 2005, is still listed with Arizona holding his rights. He never signed an SPC or played in the NHL. Another one: Sergei Gayduchenko, drafted 2007 by Florida.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
If you look through the player lists on NHL.com you'll find all sorts of examples that contradict this. For example, Anton Krysanov, age 30, drafted in 2005, is still listed with Arizona holding his rights. He never signed an SPC or played in the NHL. Another one: Sergei Gayduchenko, drafted 2007 by Florida.

I would assume that Gusev doesn't qualify as a "defected player" since he's never actually played in the NHL before.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I think Vegas should just part ways and accept a loss. Package Ship + Gusev together and get a solid return/prospect/picks back.

That would be incredibly stupid. Why should we just part ways and accept the loss, it's not even a month into the season and we haven't even played ten games yet, be patient. When we move out players he'll be back up, until then he'll be up and down to fill in for injuries because of his waiver status.

Gusev is tied for first in the KHL in points and is one of the best players not in the NHL, unless we're getting a giant haul, there really isn't a reason to keep him for the chance of him coming over.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I would assume that Gusev doesn't qualify as a "defected player" since he's never actually played in the NHL before.

Any players drafted from a country/federation that doesn't have a transfer agreement with the NHL are treated as Defected Players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad