A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
AAEAAQAAAAAAAAtNAAAAJDkyN2VkMGQ5LTdkZTAtNGE5ZS04MWEwLWE3OGZlNmE2ZmViZQ.jpg

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
While I'm not willing to believe every single word that comes out of GMGM's mouth, the guy doesn't lie much...if ever. If there was a trade and Vadim turned it down, I guess that's something. He doesn't want to play here. That's fine.

However, I'm a little wary of believing everything that comes out of Shipachyov's mouth as well. It's a little convenient that the summary of his whole side of the story is pretty much "They lie in the NHL, don't go to the NHL. Stay in the KHL where everything is hunky dory."

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
After reading that interview it's obvious miscommunication was in abundance.

This ordeal stems from Vegas' pitch to sign him.
While not promising anything contractually (which Shipachyov should've been aware of), it's clear Vegas' GM 'buttered up' Shipachyov with talk of how important he was, and how the team was going to be reliant on him. Shipachyov gave a Russian interview immediately after signing and said it was why he specifically wanted to play for Vegas.
Then he gets to Nevada and is treated like ordinary Joe.

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
I am not sure that this translation is correct:

"Now I understand that any Russian player should weigh everything ten times before leaving, because the reality beyond the ocean is far from what clubs and agents describe it.

Tell us about what happened in America.

Problems with training was not, I was told that they count on me. Right before the season, the general manager suddenly calls me and says that they need to send a person to the AHL, and no one else can. Like, help us, you need a couple of days to exchange defenders, and then you debut. And on the day of the game they call me and say that they did not have time to do everything, and we still have to play in the AHL. That is, I'm told one person in the face, and when it comes to hockey - another."

I wish the guy well, but what's the word for "prima donna" in Russian?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I am not sure that this translation is correct:

"Now I understand that any Russian player should weigh everything ten times before leaving, because the reality beyond the ocean is far from what clubs and agents describe it.

Tell us about what happened in America.

Problems with training was not, I was told that they count on me. Right before the season, the general manager suddenly calls me and says that they need to send a person to the AHL, and no one else can. Like, help us, you need a couple of days to exchange defenders, and then you debut. And on the day of the game they call me and say that they did not have time to do everything, and we still have to play in the AHL. That is, I'm told one person in the face, and when it comes to hockey - another."

I wish the guy well, but what's the word for "prima donna" in Russian?

Prima donna?:huh:

Imagine some North American agreeing to play in Russia after the KHL GM leads him to believe the team will be heavily reliant on him, they're counting on him. Said player uproots his life, arrives in Russia, and is immediately banished to the VHL.
Any rational person would conclude the agreement wasn't enacted in good faith.

However Shipachyov shouldn't assume his experience in Vegas is reflective of the NHL as a whole.

Last edited:

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
But why would a player that is a star in the KHL making a very good salary want to come play in the NHL anyway. He's right if your a star in the KHL and you think you gonna come to the NHL and be a star there, think again!!! Shipachiev never had the opportunity I'm sure McPhee promised him, but he knows and he will enjoy playing hockey again.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
After reading that interview it's obvious miscommunication was in abundance.

This ordeal stems from Vegas' pitch to sign him.
While not promising anything contractually (which Shipachyov should've been aware of), it's clear Vegas' GM 'buttered up' Shipachyov with talk of how important he was, and how the team was going to be reliant on him. Shipachyov gave a Russian interview immediately after signing and said it was why he specifically wanted to play for Vegas.
Then he gets to Nevada and is treated like ordinary Joe.

I believe this scenario. If Ship was one of the best players in Russia then how else would you entice a player to come over to a foreign league who couldn’t care less about a Stanley Cup.
It’s good that this situation was worked out on both sides. Hopefully McFee hasn’t screwed things up for other Russian/any other foreign players wanting to come and play for the Knights.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
McPhee has a good relationship/history with one of the best Russians ever, Ovheckin. So, I don't think the GM's opinion of Russians in general is bad.

Communication is important, and perhaps the translator was not as thorough as s/he should have been to describe/translate information from coaches, teammates, GM as to what was happening, why.

I have been accused of being rude, curt, unfeeling. All because I answered with 1-2 words rather than explain the thinking behind my response or be more verbose. I never (well, almost never) plan to be those things, but can be perceived as such because I am not one to share all my thoughts (and/or folks don't know me well).

Not gonna lose sleep over this as I am only an observer.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Rather than look at this as a failure on GMGM's part to treat Vadim fairly, or ruin VGK/Russia relations, I will stick to the approach that he came, wasn't very good, or willing to get better and was cut. This happens all the time with American players, the only difference being he was signed with a big splash for tons of money. That VGK was able to walk away from this unscathed money or talent wise is the bottom line and that is fine with me. What Shippy's issue is, that's his to deal with and having a fat KHL contract to fall back on may have been a small factor in his efforts here.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
I do feel for the guy... Damn near everyone had him penciled in as the no. 1 center before the season. When reality craps on expectations, it's tough not to be down about it. I still don't think it was handled properly and GMGM should have waived/moved some other folks before Ship. I rarely side with Russian players, but I'm leaning towards his side. Really sucks...

Reactions: Morrison

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I don't like the way this was handled tbh. Players are all different, and some require more time than others to adjust to the NA game. But as long as they're willing to do the work, it's simply a matter of time.

Shipachyov is extremely talented offensively. He's a creative playmaker and that is rare and difficult to find. So I don't know what really happened but I think the team should have made room for him and kept the potential payoff down the road in mind for now at least. If by end of the season he's still not adjusting, then you start looking at that route they went.

Note that I'm not saying give the guy ice time. But as an expac team I would have made roster room for a guy who might come with a big payoff and be patient at least through year one. And I'm also not laying blame here, btw. Just feel like VGK missed out on a long-term value in effectively cutting bait too early on him.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
I don't like the way this was handled tbh. Players are all different, and some require more time than others to adjust to the NA game. But as long as they're willing to do the work, it's simply a matter of time.

Shipachyov is extremely talented offensively. He's a creative playmaker and that is rare and difficult to find. So I don't know what really happened but I think the team should have made room for him and kept the potential payoff down the road in mind for now at least. If by end of the season he's still not adjusting, then you start looking at that route they went.

Note that I'm not saying give the guy ice time. But as an expac team I would have made roster room for a guy who might come with a big payoff and be patient at least through year one. And I'm also not laying blame here, btw. Just feel like VGK missed out on a long-term value in effectively cutting bait too early on him.

Montreal fan here. That's definitely what I also think. I mean 3 games!! That's crazy. I've seen players stay in Montreal for years while waiting for that potential payoff, which never came. There must have been at least a place on the 3rd or 4th line. And at some point, when one of your top-6 player start to play poorly, you send Shipachyov there instead.

Reactions: Morrison

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
All he had to do was play minors a little while and get up to the speed of smaller ice, for $4.5M/pa. It was his choice not to do that.

I honestly don't think this team's identity has room for prima donnas at this time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad