Shesterkin Vs Sorokin

Shesterkin or Sorokin?

• Total voters

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
This wreaks of a ‘I know im going to win’ poll

Sorokin hasnt even played a game while Shestyorkin has already been proclaimed by extreme Rangers’ homer Valiquette at MSG to be the next Lundqvist

Sorokin and Shestyorkin were discussed in equal lights prior to the Ranger stepping on NHL ice. That wont change recency bias though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Sorokin hasnt even played a game while Shestyorkin has already been proclaimed by extreme Rangers’ homer Valiquette at MSG to be the next Lundqvist

Sorokin and Shestyorkin were discussed in equal lights prior to the Ranger stepping on NHL ice. That wont change recency bias though.

Discussed in equal lights doesn’t mean they have the exact same ability.

Shestyorkin was better his last few seasons in the KHL. He developed his game more, Sorokin didn’t really develop much further. He is what he is at this point. He’ll be 25 to start next season. Great athlete and battles well in net. Also about an inch taller, but he’s not very refined technically and has positioning issues. Still very good, should have a lot of success in the NHL and we aren’t talking about a huge separation to Shestyorkin, which is why you probably say they were talked about in equal lights. But if you followed closely, there was definitely a separation between the two during the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons. I suspect it’s widened since.

In fact, Sorokin got more hype during the 2014-2015 season because he was playing KHL games a year earlier. Valid or not, that’s what it was. Playing games and playing well at a higher level does generate more hype, so it goes both ways. Sorokin got that extra hype early on, Shestyorkin got the extra hype this season, and we are left to also evaluate their seasons when they were playing a similar role in the same league.

Last edited:

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY

LOL. That was not my intentions when creating this, but there's always that guy, so I'm glad we got that out of the way early.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
LOL. That was not my intentions when creating this, but there's always that guy, so I'm glad we got that out of the way early.
I mean... youre a Ranger fan making a poll including a goalie who hasnt played in the league vs a guy who set an NHL record

What the hell else do you expect people to say? You knew thatd happen, dont act dumb

Reactions: Ignite111 and bh53

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
I’d take Sorokin, he’s always been thought of to be better. I wouldn’t fault anyone for taking Shesterkin though as he’s proven himself a bit in NA.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I mean... youre a Ranger fan making a poll including a goalie who hasnt played in the league vs a guy who set an NHL record

What the hell else do you expect people to say? You knew thatd happen, dont act dumb
Go on Twitter and you'll find people saying Sorokin will "wipe the floor" with Shesterkin once he comes over, so yea, I did think it was worthy for discussion.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY

See the response below you lol. It's not clear cut. You're an angry Devs fan. I understand.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Discussed in equal lights doesn’t mean they have the exact same ability.

Shestyorkin was better his last few seasons in the KHL. He developed his game more, Sorokin didn’t really develop much further. He is what he is at this point. He’ll be 25 to start next season. Great athlete and battles well in net. Also about an inch taller, but he’s not very refined technically and has positioning issues. Still very good, should have a lot of success in the NHL and we aren’t talking about a huge separation to Shestyorkin, which is why you probably say they were talked about in equal lights. But if you followed closely, there was definitely a separation between the two during the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons. I suspect it’s widened since.

In fact, Sorokin got more hype during the 2014-2015 season because he was playing KHL games a year earlier. Valid or not, that’s what it was. Playing games and playing well at a higher level does generate more hype, so it goes both ways. Sorokin got that extra hype early on, Shestyorkin got the extra hype this season, and we are left to also evaluate their seasons when they were playing a similar role in the same league.

I just do not understand how one can come to an actual conclusion if they had not been watching those two play all of their games in the KHL. It is impossible to come to a conclusion yet and this post reeks of cherry picking stats.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I just do not understand how one can come to an actual conclusion if they had not been watching those two play all of their games in the KHL. It is impossible to come to a conclusion yet and this post reeks of cherry picking stats.

You should speak for yourself. If you don't have knowledge about players coming from the KHL because you don't watch the KHL and don't watch international tournaments, that's your prerogative, but thats not the situation for everyone. A quick search of my posting history would show that I have extensive knowledge on the subject, unless you believe I opine with the knowledge of someone watching an event that I don't actually watch. But I guess that would've taken some actual time to search and see, and it's easier to get accusatory against others.

This discussion comes up at least a few times per year on this website. It gets tiring when you give an opinion to have to respond to someone who obviously doesn't have much to add of substance, but wants everyone to be like them with no knowledge on the subject. There are plenty of fans from every fan-base that don't watch prospects, let alone ones in the KHL, and think it's easiest to group all players as exactly the same. I'm well aware of how it works for a lot of people. But there are differences between players, and I don't think it's hard to see them, read about them and notice them if you have knowledge about the subject. I'm not going to explain everything any further in-depth than I did in this thread. I've explained it further many times before, and if you want to read about it further, do a posting history search, and you will see these discussions.

Last edited:

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
You should speak for yourself. If you don't have knowledge about players coming from the KHL because you don't watch the KHL and don't watch international tournaments, that's your prerogative, but thats not the situation for everyone. A quick search of my posting history would show that I have extensive knowledge on the subject, unless you believe I opine with the knowledge of someone watching an event that I don't actually watch. But I guess that would've taken some actual time to search and see, and it's easier to get accusatory against others.

This discussion comes up at least a few times per year on this website. It gets tiring when you give an opinion to have to respond to someone who obviously doesn't have much to add of substance, but wants everyone to be like them with no knowledge on the subject. There are plenty of fans from every fan-base that don't watch prospects, let alone ones in the KHL, and think it's easiest to group all players as exactly the same. I'm well aware of how it works for a lot of people. But there are differences between players, and I don't think it's hard to see them, read about them and notice them if you have knowledge about the subject. I'm not going to explain everything any further in-depth than I did in this thread. I've explained it further many times before, and if you want to read about it further, do a posting history search, and you will see these discussions.

I have watched a good amount from them and they are both great. I just do not see how you come to any sort of conclusion from what you have seen. How much have you watched them? From what I have seen anybody coming up with a straight up conclusion at this point either has their homer glasses on or are completely misinformed.

If you look at KHL reporters like Igor Eronko they always have them as very close together skill wise. I am just curious what you see in their play that shows Sorokin is not close in talent level. As someone who played goalie for years I cannot even see the big difference (from their KHL play).

Your post in this thread was VERY general and not specific.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

That is a good article, but it also shows that both are arguably VERY close in terms of potential. Truth be told the playing style of Shestyorkin is more enticing to me if I had to choose between the playing styles. That whole website looks very cool, I am going to look more in depth with it.

In terms of potential, I was just curious what that one poster thought Shestyorkin had a much higher potential, because it certainly was not based on credible writers talking about it. While the playing styles differ, the potential of both has never been an easy debate.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Gee what a shocker, of the 11 votes for Sorokin 7 are Islander fans lol

Lopsided after less than 24 hours, who would have guessed.

Big ego boost for Anthony though!

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have watched a good amount from them and they are both great. I just do not see how you come to any sort of conclusion from what you have seen. How much have you watched them? From what I have seen anybody coming up with a straight up conclusion at this point either has their homer glasses on or are completely misinformed.

If you look at KHL reporters like Igor Eronko they always have them as very close together skill wise. I am just curious what you see in their play that shows Sorokin is not close in talent level. As someone who played goalie for years I cannot even see the big difference (from their KHL play).

Your post in this thread was VERY general and not specific.

You are essentially saying we are not allowed to discuss the two players in anything other than broad generalities, and anyone that does is making things up. Why take such an open/shut stance? It makes no sense why anyone would ask for that on a hockey message board, if they weren’t trying to shut down discussion because it isn’t favorable to their viewpoint.

How about this. Explain to me why the substance of what I said is wrong. If you can’t at least do that, I don’t see what further there is to discuss here. You’ve provided no substance to the discussion.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Yeah, and there were a whole string of quotes from their goalie coach for the Russian National Team that also explains the differences from an expert, if us fans are too stupid to give an opinion on the differences.

I swear some people think every player who comes over from Russia to the NHL is a mystery package and no one has any clue what their game is like. They all have infinite potential with very high bust potential, equal ability, and which ones will succeed and don’t succeed is all random luck.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
You are essentially saying we are not allowed to discuss the two players in anything other than broad generalities, and anyone that does is making things up. Why take such an open/shut stance? It makes no sense why anyone would ask for that on a hockey message board, if they weren’t trying to shut down discussion because it isn’t favorable to their viewpoint.

How about this. Explain to me why the substance of what I said is wrong. If you can’t at least do that, I don’t see what further there is to discuss here. You’ve provided no substance to the discussion.

I think you aren’t understanding what I’m saying. I’m saying you aren’t being specific enough in this thread and just using general talking points for your analysis. Having a discussion with a Rangers and Islanders fan on these two will be a waste of time if you’re going to spend the entire discussion hyping up Shesty though.

Love the playing style of Shesty more than Sorokin. Take the homer glasses off here and just explain to me why Sorokin has such lower potential than Shesty.

You’re saying how much knowledge you have on the situation, I’m just asking you to bring that to the table. Stunning that you won’t have a conversation with me. Oh well, not sure this would go anywhere either.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Entirely false statement right here.

no it’s pretty true. Outside of the rangers blogs.

anyway this should be shut down. It was clear why the poll was created. Maybe you should wait to see the 2 play in the nhl first?

If this poll was created prior to the season we 1000% would have seen different results. 78% to 22% is pretty comical to tell you the truth. Even though Shestyorkin would have gotten more votes due to more ranger fans on the site. it would still be closer to 50-50 / 60/40

I for one don’t know who I would take. Was very close in the KHL with most lists having Sorokin on top. I didn’t watch them day to day I really can’t say. With that being said we can circle back here next year.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017

Well put

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad