Sheldon Keefe's "Strategy" for dealing with Officiating

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
Being mean also doesn't work for the Leafs BTW.

Remember Kadri?

In Game 2 of the 2019 Boston series (2nd year he got suspended), Boston only got FOUR penalties in that game.

1) Offsetting roughing calls on DeBrusk an Kadri
2) Pastrnak, charging
3) Chara, delay of game - the only non-fighting penalty the NHL doesn't leave up to interpretation.
4) Krejci roughing.

This despite:

- DeBrusk going knee on knee vs Kadri
- Pastrnak late hits
- DeBrusk trying to run Marleau into the turnbuckle
- Chara being Chara

And someone Kadri received the only indefinite suspension in NHL history (suspended for the rest of the first round).

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yeah, that's Graham Skilliter. A few years ago we were 1-12 in games he reffed, and our record with him has not improved much. He was the ref for the 8-1 Tampa loss last week, where we learned that hitting someone with a shot by accident is a penalty.
Thanks for that. I'm adding him to the most wanted data base now.

Is pretty pathetic that a professional sports league doesn't look into these things. I get it can be a thin line but some blatant bullshit repeatedly and consistently, a deep look should be taken at the individual in question.

Reactions: BayStBullies

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
One of my former team mates with Marlboros who played in O for a year or two and then in Europe for awhile decided to get into reffing .. he worked his way up in GTHL to OHL to ECHL and then to AHL and fairly quickly I may add .. he got invited to NHL ref camps and made main camp .. and it main camp he was best skater they had .. on top of that he had top satisfaction rating most years he reffed including in AHL .. and he went to main camp i think he said for 8 straight years .. and yet he never got hired by NHL

Now what you don't know is his dad was a wealthy TO businessman which was why he could ref for so long .. his dad was a MLSE ticket holder and corporate sponsor too

At his last main camp after once again he did not make it (they finally told him he was getting a little too old to qualify for main camp next year) he was told look i can't officially tell you this and i will deny it but you are a TO guy and a Leaf fan and NHL would never hire you .. now this was a guy who some of you who know da TO hockey scene also will know as a hockey publication wrote up this case .. outside of Wes (whose dad was also nhl top ref before Gary) there has NOT BEEN 1 single Toronto hockey player appointed as an NHL REF .. given GTHL is mecca of hockey world and BY FAR biggest league in world and NOT 1 SINGLE NHL REF .. and there have been a few HIGHLY qualified guys who have been passed over over da years .. BUT not 1 single MEDIA source ever talks about it .. guys like ODOG know exactly what is going on but guess what it makes no sense for him to piss people off in NHL

Nice story but not sure I get the point? How does this hurt the Leafs?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yeah, that's Graham Skilliter. A few years ago we were 1-12 in games he reffed, and our record with him has not improved much. He was the ref for the 8-1 Tampa loss last week, where we learned that hitting someone with a shot by accident is a penalty.
Kicking is cool though, so it should be a wild ride next time he calls a game with us.

BackPassChampions

Jun 26, 2015
One of my former team mates with Marlboros who played in O for a year or two and then in Europe for awhile decided to get into reffing .. he worked his way up in GTHL to OHL to ECHL and then to AHL and fairly quickly I may add .. he got invited to NHL ref camps and made main camp .. and it main camp he was best skater they had .. on top of that he had top satisfaction rating most years he reffed including in AHL .. and he went to main camp i think he said for 8 straight years .. and yet he never got hired by NHL

Now what you don't know is his dad was a wealthy TO businessman which was why he could ref for so long .. his dad was a MLSE ticket holder and corporate sponsor too

At his last main camp after once again he did not make it (they finally told him he was getting a little too old to qualify for main camp next year) he was told look i can't officially tell you this and i will deny it but you are a TO guy and a Leaf fan and NHL would never hire you .. now this was a guy who some of you who know da TO hockey scene also will know as a hockey publication wrote up this case .. outside of Wes (whose dad was also nhl top ref before Gary) there has NOT BEEN 1 single Toronto hockey player appointed as an NHL REF .. given GTHL is mecca of hockey world and BY FAR biggest league in world and NOT 1 SINGLE NHL REF .. and there have been a few HIGHLY qualified guys who have been passed over over da years .. BUT not 1 single MEDIA source ever talks about it .. guys like ODOG know exactly what is going on but guess what it makes no sense for him to piss people off in NHL
What exactly is the main point of this post?

What is your former teammates view point on this?

Does he think they do not want to hire Toronto refs because the NHL believes they will favour them?

I don’t know if I believe that. That’s quite a conspiracy.

It very well could be that the former teammate is telling you what he wants you to hear and not the entire truth as to why he is rejected.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Reactions: saltming

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Anyone here ever work as a manager?

Want to know what happens?

Let's say there is an essential task that nobody wants to do but you have to choose someone out of 3 employees. One will make an absolute fuss, create a very stressful situation, and be overall uncomfortable. One will object, put up a bit of a fight, then concede. The last you can tell is frustrated, but will just smile and say no problem.

Guess the order to which a typical manager would choose who does the terrible task.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Being mean also doesn't work for the Leafs BTW.

Remember Kadri?

In Game 2 of the 2019 Boston series (2nd year he got suspended), Boston only got FOUR penalties in that game.

1) Offsetting roughing calls on DeBrusk an Kadri
2) Pastrnak, charging
3) Chara, delay of game - the only non-fighting penalty the NHL doesn't leave up to interpretation.
4) Krejci roughing.

This despite:

- DeBrusk going knee on knee vs Kadri
- Pastrnak late hits
- DeBrusk trying to run Marleau into the turnbuckle
- Chara being Chara

And someone Kadri received the only indefinite suspension in NHL history (suspended for the rest of the first round).
Your argument doesn't hold up because Boston players were far meaner/difficult with the refs than leaf players were. And, as you've shown, they still got all the calls.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I would prefer the Chara onion breath approach:

1651339575111.png

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Here's hoping that since we aren't facing Jacob's Darlings that the reffing will be a bit more fair than those gongshow performances against the Bruins.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Nice story but not sure I get the point? How does this hurt the Leafs?
Outside Wes, who is impartial to say da least, there are no GTA refs in NHL .. there are Boston refs though .. things that make you go UMHHHHHHHH
Post automatically merged:

What exactly is the main point of this post?

What is your former teammates view point on this?

Does he think they do not want to hire Toronto refs because the NHL believes they will favour them?

I don’t know if I believe that. That’s quite a conspiracy.

It very well could be that the former teammate is telling you what he wants you to
Outside of Wes, who was hired pre Bettman/Jacobs, there has not been a SINGLE REF from GTA in NHL .. but there are several refs from Boston .. my point is da BIGGEST league in world BY FAR da GTHL and no GTA refs under Jacobs/Bettman watch .. things that make you go UMHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I'll judge this based on how many too many men penalties we get.

The refs screw coaches that bitch too much.

or "whiny" teams

The leafs seem whiny

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I'll judge this based on how many too many men penalties we get.

The refs screw coaches that bitch too much.

or "whiny" teams

The leafs seem whiny

Didn't one team/coach specifically call out the officiating? Also, Boston is one of the whiniest teams, and unless I am mistaken, both those teams/players seem to get a lot of calls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad