Sheldon Keefe out in Toronto

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
And there lies the problem. There is no space and very few clean looks in the playoffs, period. The big forwards on the team dont have the mentality or the guts to go take a hit to make a play or pay the price to score playoff goals.

Its a roster issue, not a coaching one

Correction, There's no space in the playoffs when Keefe is coaching. He coaches a rigid system that requires everyone play the exact same plug-and-play way. There were very little to no adjustments reallly made. Even when it clearly wasn't working to the Leafs advantage, they just tried again and again and failed again and again.

An inferior offensive team in Florida managed to find some open ice and pot 6 by Swayman last night.

The Jets had the best goaltending, and the best defense, and they got completely blown out every game in their short series.

You can't play every team the exact same way. You can't play every line the exact same way, and you can't play each matchup the exact same way. They all need different wriinkles that expose weakneseses in the opponents, and play to strengths of the roster.

A 69 goal scorer getting 1 shot on net isn't on Matthews. He doesn't play a North South game where he single-handedly rushes the puck up, beats 2 defenders, and dekes the goalie. He's not that kind of player and he never has been. The coach has to design set plays that utilizes the weapons he has at his disposal.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Scapegoat, not his fault his so called "core 4" can't show up when it matters.

I don't recall anyone suggesting this to be the case?
It is nearly unanimous from media to fans that multiple moves are needed. They will have a new coach and change the core of the team

Reactions: Summer Rose

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Who do we think a good fit would be? Curious to know which direction they're leaning. Do they bring in a new coach and run it back with the same core, or do they make a big shakeup roster wise too?

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I understand why they did it, but he's absolutely not the reason they lost.

Keefe is a good coach, they've gotten a lot of regular season success. The big boys just never show up when opposition can devote a system and a new game plan over a 7 game series. Other teams can't adjust into Matthews and Co. during the season, there's must no time to prepare for them. The team just doesn't seem to be able to play through the tight games and the stars aren't able to succeed through that playoff adversity.

The PP has been very good for years, the players couldn't adapt and they're out.

Reactions: 57special

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Shanahan is running out of firing the Coaches, GM's cards. This team was destined to compete for the Cup with Lou at the helm. All he had to do was extend him another 3 years. His misread of hiring Dubas was a domino of disastrous moves too numerous to name that has brought this franchise to this point. Keefe was not the problem but he will be the latest scapegoat until Shanahan can no longer avoid the cross hairs.

The same Lou who signed Marleau and Zaitsev ?

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I don't recall anyone suggesting this to be the case?
It is nearly unanimous from media to fans that multiple moves are needed. They will have a new coach and change the core of the team
Nylander and Matthews (soon Marner), get rewarded with new monster contracts. Keefe gets fired.

I’m not sure what you think that suggests.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Dang Keefe got banished to the sea

giphy.gif

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If the TML organization stops at this, they are delusional. Keefe got them to play hard for (at least the coachable, non entitled players) in the final 4 games of the playoffs. Boston was lucky to beat them.

Toronto is flawed in construction. They have put all their eggs in one basket... unfortunately, the thing with eggs is that they are fragile, and break easily with just a bit of contact. None of this is on Keefe. Toronto went out and got Klingberg in the off season - I mean, what were they thinking?

It could be that a guy like Berube can come in there and get them to play a style that will win them games in the post season, but I think that he will probably come in and tell the management that he needs some player movement. Even then, the cap situation that the FO has created is a millstone around the necks of the team, dragging them down.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
It doesn't matter who they bring in, that group will never win. Too soft and coddled. Shanahan is the one who signed off on all the awful contracts given out by a terrible GM (Dubas). He needs to go.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Good chronology. The biggest mistake was not resigning Hyman. Hyman was going to take a team discount to stay. Hyman has more goals these playoffs 9 to 5 than Matthews, Tavares, Marner, and Nylander combined. He is making 5.5M to 41M and would have taken less than 5.5 to stay in Toronto. Nothing illustrates Dubas' incompetence more than the mismanagement of the Cap, and to not find 500K here or there to keep a stud like Hyman. Lamoriello signed Hyman to 2.1 x 4years. That was a great deal. Shanahan's deserved demise will all trace back to being hoodwinked by a snakeskin salesman GM that Dubas is.
I forgot to even mention that one. :laugh: Point remains, that coaches get given a hand that is dealt and sometimes have to make chicken soup out of chicken shit. Ask Knoblauch how excited he is about rolling that Nurse Ceci pairing out for 18 minutes a night. Oilers needed a 4D. They acquired Henrique, Carrick and Stetcher.

Keefe needed a 2-3 dman for years and never got one. I know it isn't popular but if they moved Marner or Tavares and got Seth Jones or Parayko or Pesce, the team would immediately be better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad