Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe named Marlies coach

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Toronto Marlies & Toronto Maple Leafs PR tweeted it out also.

I really thought that Keefe would have coached with the Maple Leafs for a year under Babcock, learned the system and then moved to the Marlies as their head coach.

I'll be interested in what he does with a young team next year.

grits207

Jun 24, 2009
Saint John, N.B.
Gee, nobody saw this one coming. :sarcasm:

Smart of Dubas to wait a while before hiring Keefe to at least make it look like he was considering other people.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I just hope for some stability from now on.

Yep, gotta keep him around for a while.

The Marlies have dealt with a different coach each of the last 3 years, and I think that had something to do with the slow start last season (adding Nylander and Brennan helped as well).

Could be some growing pains, but hopefully this becomes another in what's turning into a pretty long list of good moves by management this off-season.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Good hire!

Dubas is bringing quite a bit of his connections from Soo over. Wes Clarke and now Keefe. Won't be surprised if he also bings Victor Carneiro over.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Great news but the worst kept secret in sports as Dubas hired him for Sault St. Marie so connections and previous links made this highly predictable.

Keefe was OHL coach of the year so its a great hire on merit also.
:handclap:

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Great addition. He's a Jon Cooper-like coach. He wants his forwards to make plays with the puck.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I am shocked and amazed ya'll. shocked.

actually the only thing that is surprising me is that Keefe isn't spending time up with the Leafs this year. but I guess the argument would be that would be the Marlies then 4th (5th) coach in 5 years, and that's not good, so i guess, they are going to benefit from the fact that the Ricoh isn't that far from ACC and have lots of Babcock-Keefe sessions at practice i suppose.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Fantastic news - he's got a great personal redemption story, and his talent is obvious as recognized by his beers by being awarded OHL coach of the year.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Mr-Burns-Excellent_zps4b399343.jpg

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Good hire. Important job.
He will be responsible for getting Nylander/Brown/Gauthier/Verhaeghe etc. working the same system Babcock is employing.
At present, he can prepare the waves of prospects for the next level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad