Speculation: Sheldon Keefe and his goalie tandem next season.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
When I think of our goalie situation this season I can't help think about that play-in series vs. CBJ. Tortorella had a goalie tandem (Merzlikins and Korpisalo) that played pretty good. It's not just that they played well, but Torts knew when to play the "hot hand" (as well as other ways to beat Keefe).

Now we have Keefe who looks to be learning on the job, and for the most part not a great playoff coach. Does he know who to ride and who to sit? All indications are that he'll be stubborn. MAYBE he'll go the Soo Greyhounds way and play Campbell.

How do you think Keefe will handle a tandem as opposed to a regular starter?

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
Which guy to play will almost always be subjective and debatable. Can't wait for the constant complaints from the fanbase, no matter who starts.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I don’t think this is a coaching thing.
The Leafs have a couple of middle of the road goalies and who ever is playing better will get the net…….

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
When I think of our goalie situation this season I can't help think about that play-in series vs. CBJ. Tortorella had a goalie tandem (Merzlikins and Korpisalo) that played pretty good. It's not just that they played well, but Torts knew when to play the "hot hand" (as well as other ways to beat Keefe).

Now we have Keefe who looks to be learning on the job, and for the most part not a great playoff coach. Does he know who to ride and who to sit? All indications are that he'll be stubborn. MAYBE he'll go the Soo Greyhounds way and play Campbell.

How do you think Keefe will handle a tandem as opposed to a regular starter?
Keefe did play the hot hand. Campbell had an outstanding season and other than a couple of goals he played great in the playoffs. Campbell didn't really give him a reason to pull him in the playoffs. Going into the playoffs Rittich had a bad couple of games. Andersen was coming back from a lengthy knee injury that bothered him all year. He was playing like shit having a sub .900sv% and having a sub .900sv% in his conditioning stint in the AHL. Campbell had a .934sv%. Why would he switch?

Looks to me like Campbell and the defense wasn't the problem and our superstars up front making a ton of money decided not to show.

Campbell and Mrazek are both battlers. Whoever is hot will get the net.

Reactions: Cams and ottomaddox

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
He is not a coach who makes brave decisions, so there is every chance he will struggle with managing a tandem. It takes guts to switch goalies especially in a market like Toronto.

We witnessed it last season, where Campbell fell off vs MTL and Keefe rode him out of the playoffs as he put up a sub .900 over the last 3 games and was visibly different from the first 4 games of the series.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
The regular season will be fine.

Keefe showed signs of being unable to adapt from games 5-7, that is a cause for concern.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad