Rumor: Sheahan to Pittsburgh?

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
The same guy that was bringing the Sheahan rumors from last week is now saying that Pouliot and a pick for Sheahan is a done deal and it will be completed as soon as Athanasiou gets re-signed.

I won't believe it when it doesn't happen.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Ugh. I'm happy that we will keep AA in the fold, but I'm really kinda underwhelmed.

AA is a better hockey player than Sheahan, but I think this sends the wrong message to him. I kinda hoped that he'd be twisting in the wind a bit more to show that he's not that special yet. If there is any truth to him not paying attention to the coaches, I don't want him getting "rewarded" for it. He certainly could be a special player, but he just simply isn't at the current time.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
From trade board:

It's... it's happening? :amazed:

I should clarify, I did not hear this, but people both on here and on reddit are saying that's what Jason Mackey said on a local radio station this morning. Mackey really isn't one to rumor monger, he's the guy that was saying the Penguins were interested in Sheahan a week ago and being persistent on it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/penguins/comments/71ajh2/jason_mackey_was_on_the_fan_this_morning_sounds/

It just seems a little weird because for how strongly he's been talking, you would imagine the deal would have been done by now. It is dependent on AA re-signing, so that's probably what's holding it up, but I expected it to be done by now with the way he was talking last week.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
It just seems a little weird because for how strongly he's been talking, you would imagine the deal would have been done by now. It is dependent on AA re-signing, so that's probably what's holding it up, but I expected it to be done by now with the way he was talking last week.

That's probably it. If AA bolts for the KHL, they'd have enough room (if they get the max for Franzens LTIR), to keep Sheahan on the team and not have to waive Sproul AND get to keep up Bertuzzi, or waive Sproul and keep Bertuzzi and have enough to sign PAP for around $800-900k.

But if AA signs for more than $1.5M or so, they'd need to move a contract just to be able to LTIR Franzen.

Either that or maybe they want a chance to see Pouliot or whoever skate in some pre-season games before pulling the trigger.

As far as the trade goes, not sure how I feel about getting Pouliot back... The Red Wings have enough fringe blueliners on the main team and in GR. They'd be better off getting a decent affordable #12-14 forward or just one good pick back...

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It would be trading him at what will hopefully be his career low.

From a management perspective I don't see how this will look like anything but a bad trade a year from now after he almost certainly rebounds with the Pens.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
As far as the trade goes, not sure how I feel about getting Pouliot back... The Red Wings have enough fringe blueliners on the main team and in GR. They'd be better off getting a decent affordable #12-14 forward or just one good pick back...

Yeah, not high on getting Pouliot back. I'd rather just see a better pick, but I doubt Pitt wants to give that up.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's probably it. If AA bolts for the KHL, they'd have enough room (if they get the max for Franzens LTIR), to keep Sheahan on the team and not have to waive Sproul AND get to keep up Bertuzzi, or waive Sproul and keep Bertuzzi and have enough to sign PAP for around $800-900k.

But if AA signs for more than $1.5M or so, they'd need to move a contract just to be able to LTIR Franzen.

Either that or maybe they want a chance to see Pouliot or whoever skate in some pre-season games before pulling the trigger.

Question on the Wings cap situation, how does Kronwall's situation impact the Wings cap? Would they not have to do anything if Kronwall's knee is so busted that he has to LTIRetire?

If the deal is being held up, I think it's probably because Detroit doesn't want to risk trading Sheahan and Athanasiou bolting to the KHL, which would leave them with neither of them. I just don't know if Kronwall LTIRetiring makes them take back that trade offer, since they might not have to trade Sheahan with Kronwall done.

That's fair to say and I think Penguins fans would generally agree that they'd rather give up a guy like Kuhnhackl and a pick for Sheahan, just because of where the strength in the Penguins organization lies. Even if Pouliot is a nothing piece, they don't have any other NHL ready D prospect in the organization, they have like 6 guys who can replace Kuhnhackl right now.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Question on the Wings cap situation, how does Kronwall's situation impact the Wings cap? Would they not have to do anything if Kronwall's knee is so busted that he has to LTIRetire?

If the deal is being held up, I think it's probably because Detroit doesn't want to risk trading Sheahan and Athanasiou bolting to the KHL, which would leave them with neither of them. I just don't know if Kronwall LTIRetiring makes them take back that trade offer, since they might not have to trade Sheahan with Kronwall done.

Kronwall on LTIR would solve all cap problems.

Latest news of his knee is fine, but Kronner is having back spasms.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Yeah we really don't have an open spot for Pouliot, I'd rather just get a decent pick for Sheahan if we resign AA.

Maybe the thinking is that with Kronwall getting rests and Ericsson having some chronic issue, they need to carry 8D incase someone else is banged up short term. Being a 23YO, former 8th overall pick, I'd assume Pouliot still has some perceived upside that hasn't worked out with the Pens but may benefit with a change of scenery. A limited role on a non contending team might help?

Then again, the Wings already have a 25YO former 10th overall pick under contract that could fill that role, and Sproul and Lashoff could probably do it too...

So yea, I'd ultimately rather they get the highest pick possible from the Pens in exchange. But if a player has to be sent back, I would think a cheap bottom 6 forward that might still have some upside would be more useful right now...

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

I don't know how you miss the opportunity to just make the 2016-17 video 5 seconds long. Very disappointed

And actually on the topic. I've always been Sheahan's biggest (only?) advocate. I'd have to imagine trading him after last season will get a majorly disappointing return

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
That's fair to say and I think Penguins fans would generally agree that they'd rather give up a guy like Kuhnhackl and a pick for Sheahan, just because of where the strength in the Penguins organization lies. Even if Pouliot is a nothing piece, they don't have any other NHL ready D prospect in the organization, they have like 6 guys who can replace Kuhnhackl right now.

Not sure where he'd fit in a trade for Sheahan, but boy does Bryan Rust have some credentials Ken Holland sure loves...

He's a small winger and he's from Pontiac, MI.

That must be where the deal is getting held up...

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
It would be trading him at what will hopefully be his career low.

From a management perspective I don't see how this will look like anything but a bad trade a year from now after he almost certainly rebounds with the Pens.
On the other hand, from a good part of fans' perspective, it's a great trade because they keep someone that can skate fast in the transition and sometimes score a neat goal!

Good for Sheahan if he goes to Pittsburgh. He'll be able to get 30+ points there rather easily while being one of the more responsible players when he's on the ice.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not sure where he'd fit in a trade for Sheahan, but boy does Bryan Rust have some credentials Ken Holland sure loves...

He's a small winger and he's from Pontiac, MI.

That must be where the deal is getting held up...

Most Penguins fans would say no to Rust for Faksa, so I don't think you'd get anyone who would bite on Rust for Sheahan. Rust isn't a guy that anyone wants to trade when he's only making $650k a season.

I think if you wanted a winger, it's possible the Wings could pull off Wilson, but that would likely be a more complicated deal to create. I have no idea how highly they value Wilson, there were talks about him being Kunitz's long term replacement, but that was before the Penguins were knee deep in young wingers. The Penguins might say they want Ouellet and Sheahan for Wilson and Pouliot if they value Wilson highly.

Does Pitt need to move a contract? Is that why DP would be coming our way?

No, I think Pouliot would only be going to the Wings if Holland would actually want him.

Latest news of his knee is fine, but Kronner is having back spasms.

That makes sense with Kronwall. The only thing that confuses me here is that if the deal was as done of a deal as Mackey is saying, would the trade still happen if the Wings don't have to make the trade for the cap to work?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

Not only that, but with enough SOIR and finagling to get the most relief, Holland would have enough space to justify faxing some offers over to the agents that represent Jagr, Iginla, Wideman and Hudler...

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I don't know how you miss the opportunity to just make the 2016-17 video 5 seconds long. Very disappointed

And actually on the topic. I've always been Sheahan's biggest (only?) advocate. I'd have to imagine trading him after last season will get a majorly disappointing return

Ive always been a fan of sheahan too. I remember being convinced he'd be our 2C someday when he was pacing for 40pts in his rookie season and had a similar sophomore season. I thought he had more offensive potential to unlock.

Unfortunately he regressed hard after babcock left =\

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Does Pitt need to move a contract? Is that why DP would be coming our way?

It sounds like DP is expendable because the Pens have their 6 regular D set, and with guys like Ruhwedel that can fill in at #7.

Sounds like DP never showed much at the NHL level and now that he's subject to waivers, he's expendable. He also still might have some upside and could benefit from a change of scenery. What better place to get a shot than a team with other dmen of questionable NHL talent...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad