Prospect Info: Shayne Gostisbehere: The Leading Dutchmen

member 30781

Guess it's time to sign Gostisbehere now that Mesz is out with another injury. :)

Zinnny

Mar 28, 2013
Hey this is one of my first times posting, but I've been a reader for a few months now. I just graduated from Union last year and I've seen more than a fair share of Union games and Ghost playing.

I first wanna say that historyically speaking the ECAC has been a step down from Hockey Easy and some other conferences, however in the past 5 years the level of competition in the ECAC has greatly increased. Just look at the number of teams in the NCAA tourney this year compared to 5 years ago. I believe there are 3 teams (Union, Q-Pac, Yale) in the tournament this year while I think Hockey East only has 2 (BC, UMass Lowell). So I really don't think that ECAC is a far below the other conferences as it used to be, and to say it is a step down is no longer accurate.

I think Ghost could be a really good #3 or 4 defenseman one day. I think that his size is the main factor limiting him to that role. The Union system really promotes the defensemen jumping into the play in the O-zone and it does a great job of having the forwards cover when they do, which is why they're successful. This also tends to make the defense look very good, because they can have higher point totals (compared to a different styled system). Like you all said, Ghost has a great shot and can handle the puck pretty well; and as I said his size limits him. If he was 6'4" and retained his skills he has now (skating, shooting, etc.) he probably could have played major junior and gone earlier in the draft.

Coppy

Apr 30, 2011
I first wanna say that historyically speaking the ECAC has been a step down from Hockey Easy and some other conferences, however in the past 5 years the level of competition in the ECAC has greatly increased. Just look at the number of teams in the NCAA tourney this year compared to 5 years ago. I believe there are 3 teams (Union, Q-Pac, Yale) in the tournament this year while I think Hockey East only has 2 (BC, UMass Lowell). So I really don't think that ECAC is a far below the other conferences as it used to be, and to say it is a step down is no longer accurate.

I'd say it still a step below Hockey East (they've got 3 in the tourney btw, you forgot UNH) and the WCHA. Even though recently been more of a factor in the tourney, the ECAC still lags behind the other big conferences. They lack the parody of other conferences (compare the bottomfeeds of the ECAC versus the other conferences) and most importantly, they don't have any powerhouse programs that are consistently contending for National titles.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Hi there. Rangers fan coming in peace. Saw him play today in Unions 5-1 win against BC and was very impressed.

From what I saw his best ability is how he uses his skating correctly in which he will make a quick fake to get the forward to bite, and then accelerate the other way to get into or create some more open space in the ice.

Not your conventional defenseman, but he gets into open ice very well which is good for any puck carrying type player. Tends to translate better at the higher levels too because he thrives on getting into open ice which doesn't really depend on the physicality of the play.

Also scored a nice slapper from the point but he won't get the space he had there at the higher levels.

Got burned once by Gaudreau but it was the type of rush you learn with more experience. Had a few nice hits as the physicality ramped up.

One last thing, I have never seen a player call for the puck as much as I saw him call for it tonight. Kid definitely wants to make a difference.

Hate to say it but you've got a real good player in your hands. The defensive game comes with age but the talent is there.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Kid was great last night. And what a shot. Plus he showcased his wheels. Just a great game.

I swear, the more I watch Gostisbehere, the more and more he looks like a Brian Rafalski clone. He might not be as stocky, but is probably a better skater and has just as hard a shot. If the Flyers don't rush him, he has the chance to be something real special.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I've never been this excited about a Flyers D prospect ( I know not saying much)

When i saw him at the wjc i couldnt believe what i saw. In the warmup games he literally was team USA's best player.

He has two 3 elite skills for a d man already. His puckhandling in all situations, His skating ability , and his slapshot .

He has a very very very high ceiling and i just hope we take our time with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad