Prospect Info: Shayne Gostisbehere: The Leading Dutchmen

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I saw him play for ten minutes max this year, but he was impressive in that tiny bit of play. He was absolutely all over the ice, making big plays on defense and offense. His name was mentioned almost as much as Crosby's on an NBC broadcast :laugh:.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I saw him play for ten minutes max this year, but he was impressive in that tiny bit of play. He was absolutely all over the ice, making big plays on defense and offense. His name was mentioned almost as much as Crosby's on an NBC broadcast :laugh:.

He was mentioned in one of Pierre's college rants last night actually. :laugh:

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Have seen him play a couple times this year, all of his play for the USA world junior team (including the pre-tourney game against Sweden) and one of his games while at Union.

I really like him. Great skater, hell of a shot, good passer and decent enough defensively. He won't ever be a physical menace back there, but he's an offensive dman.

Wouldn't surprise me if he became a 2nd pair offensive dman who can QB the PP.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I'm so looking forward to Gostisbehere turning pro. I'd like to see him play one more season in the NCAA though. Let him pack on some weight there and get used to the additional weight and then come to the AHL once he's used to playing with the extra pounds. I'm really thinking we're going to see Rafalski 2.0 IF the Flyers give him proper development time and they don't rush him or lose patience.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It will be great to have a defenseman on the Flyers with a really heavy shot, even if it's still years away.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I'm so looking forward to Gostisbehere turning pro. I'd like to see him play one more season in the NCAA though. Let him pack on some weight there and get used to the additional weight and then come to the AHL once he's used to playing with the extra pounds. I'm really thinking we're going to see Rafalski 2.0 IF the Flyers give him proper development time and they don't rush him or lose patience.

I to do not want to rush this kid. One thing I have noticed is he has a little mean streak in him, almost to the extent of being dirty. For a guy his size that may be a good thing cause it may give him some room in the future. Anyway glad to see this pick by the Flyers working out so far.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Stoked to watch him in the tourney. I saw him play in a game on NBC Sports during the lockout (I think...don't remember exactly when). He didn't really stand out too much but its cool seeing these guys play in college. I remember when an NCAA hockey game on TV was unheard of.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
There were times during the exhibition games and tournament games where he looked like the best player on the ice. The kid has 2 elite skills. Skating and his shot. His puckhandling is not bad either and he is very poised on offense, he really had great vision on the offense end.

On defense he is a liability right now, but with experience and coaching hopefully that will change.

Coppy

Apr 30, 2011
ECAC is far from mediocre... Or you talking about the NCAA?

I think its clearly a step below the WCHA and HockeyEast. Probably on the same level with CCHA. That said, it gets somewhat of undeserved rep as Class B D1 Hockey.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't remember ever seeing him participate in tough board battles, his physicality came in open ice hits, and his defensive plays were largely stickwork. That's something he would absolutely have to work on, unless my sweeping generalization based on 10 minutes of viewing is somehow incorrect :laugh:

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
There were times during the exhibition games and tournament games where he looked like the best player on the ice. The kid has 2 elite skills. Skating and his shot. His puckhandling is not bad either and he is very poised on offense, he really had great vision on the offense end.

On defense he is a liability right now, but with experience and coaching hopefully that will change.

If anything Ghosts' defensive play is 3x as good as it was. His Union coach and WJC coach raved about his defensive play. Ghost's main skills are slapshot and skating like other have said. He also has the puck-handling ability that, if he continues to improve, can make him a top 4 defender. His passing is also strong and tape to tape.

One thing holding him back is size. He is small and skinny. His defensive play isnt BAD anymore. Obviously he isnt a shutdown defender, but according to his coaches and people that watch him, its not as bad as people are claiming it to be.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I don't remember ever seeing him participate in tough board battles, his physicality came in open ice hits, and his defensive plays were largely stickwork. That's something he would absolutely have to work on, unless my sweeping generalization based on 10 minutes of viewing is somehow incorrect :laugh:

HATE to use the comparison, really do, but his defensive play is similar to Kimo's in positioning and stick work (Not saying he is on Kimo's level. Saying that the style of play is similar).

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
HATE to use the comparison, really do, but his defensive play is similar to Kimo's in positioning and stick work (Not saying he is on Kimo's level. Saying that the style of play is similar).

Haha, don't get me excited.

I haven't seen nearly enough of him to make comparisons, just enough to make me intrigued.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I really enjoyed what I saw from this kid during the WJC. Like others have said, I was impressed with his shot, skating, and passing. His defense was really good too save for one game where he had a couple costly turnovers.

Love hearing good things about him and look forward to him QBing our power play some day. Definitely my favorite prospect

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
If anything Ghosts' defensive play is 3x as good as it was. His Union coach and WJC coach raved about his defensive play. Ghost's main skills are slapshot and skating like other have said. He also has the puck-handling ability that, if he continues to improve, can make him a top 4 defender. His passing is also strong and tape to tape.

One thing holding him back is size. He is small and skinny. His defensive play isnt BAD anymore. Obviously he isnt a shutdown defender, but according to his coaches and people that watch him, its not as bad as people are claiming it to be.

Man, would it ever be nice to have a defender who could take slapshots again. Haven't had that since Pronger got injured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad