Confirmed with Link: Shawn Thornton Signs With Florida Panthers

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Erick*

1) It's not your money. Stop it.
2) The number of dollars a player gets doesn't add or subtract from goals or wins.

1) No. You probably won't feel that way when the contract looks terrible in a couple of years.
2) He's (Thornton) a 4th line player. Most 4th line players aren't brought in to provide a great deal of scoring. If Thornton doesn't pan out, there's minimal risk involved. You could probably trade him for a 7th rounder or something. Even Parros was traded for a 7th rounder because GM's still place a value on these types of players.

If (when) Bolland's deal backfires, on the other hand, we'll be stuck with him.

Also, for a guy who "leads to more goals against than goals for every time he hits the ice," Thornton did ok last year with his +3. Maybe you're making a big deal about it? Thornton probably won't even play every game so whatever.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
He is bad. He actively hurts your team whenever he is on the ice. The object of the game is to score goals, not punch people in the face. I can't believe people are complaining about Dave Bolland, (an actual hockey player who is above average to good at playing actual hockey) because of the amount of money they are personally not spending on him... yet they praise the signing of someone who will lead to more goals against than goals for every time he hits the ice. Rather than sign players to the 4th line who increase the chances of the team scoring a goal we sign a slug like this. Embarrassing.

that quote only proves that the entire line was bad, not thornton himself. (and just that year). that author (and you) have selective memory. ask any Bruins fan and they'll tell you the Paille-Campbell-Thornton line was instrumental in the Bruins winning the Stanley Cup. they absolutely dominated the Canucks fourth line in the finals.

in a vacuum, yes, thornton is the worst hockey player on this team. he's an enforcer, and enforcers suck at playing hockey.

my point is, if you HAVE to have an enforcer on the team (which apparently, a Dale Tallon run team must) - then Thornton is one of the best to have.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
1) It's not your money. Stop it.
2) The number of dollars a player gets doesn't add or subtract from goals or wins.

there's a salary cap. and if we're going to be a salary cap team (as Viola says) - overpaying players will hurt our chances of other pieces in the future.

that's why overpaying Bolland as badly as we did is devastating. pretty simple.

your mindset seems to be that of the pre-cap era, where you can spend what you want on who you want, whenever you want.

Tuco

Jul 30, 2007
Is useful in some games I think. The better we are, the more he'll be needed. An ok from me.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Bolland is a 3rd line player who got 1st line money.
Thornton is a 4th line player who got 4th line money.

you writing the checks?

we near the ceiling?

Are we all just sick of year after year panther spending?

sometimes we have battered wife syndrome.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
See people like this, but we went from a not very good enforcer who could actually play in Barch to an enforcer that has lost a step fighting and can't play hockey at all (at least the last 3 seasons)

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
you writing the checks?

we near the ceiling?

Are we all just sick of year after year panther spending?

sometimes we have battered wife syndrome.

Within those 5 years we will have to resign Bjugstad, Huberdeau and Barkov. Currently we have about 14 million in cap space without the RFA signings. Next year we have tons of money come off the books and also Campbell will be gone the year after. I'm not saying Bolland's contract WILL hamper us by I think it MIGHT prevent us from signing that big goal scoring winger in a few years. And that possibility is what bothers me about the contract. Also we are not sure how much the cap will increase.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Within those 5 years we will have to resign Bjugstad, Huberdeau and Barkov. Currently we have about 14 million in cap space without the RFA signings. Next year we have tons of money come off the books and also Campbell will be gone the year after. I'm not saying Bolland's contract WILL hamper us by I think it MIGHT prevent us from signing that big goal scoring winger in a few years. And that possibility is what bothers me about the contract. Also we are not sure how much the cap will increase.

Understood.

Don't know where the cap will be in a few years, hopefully itll be moot.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Thornton can play and he's still a good fighter. You're incorrect.
Most of the Bruins fans thought he was done and wouldn't get a contract offer from anyone. To me, that's kinda alarming. As far as his fighting goes, I've always thought he's more of a showman (like Parros) than an actual enforcer. We already know where that road is going to take us.

The team needs a guy that can actually play and if needed, protects the kids. Not someone who's going to pick a fight with his equal counterpart just for the hell of it.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Most of the Bruins fans thought he was done and wouldn't get a contract offer from anyone. To me, that's kinda alarming. As far as his fighting goes, I've always thought he's more of a showman (like Parros) than an actual enforcer. We already know where that road is going to take us.

The team needs a guy that can actually play and if needed, protects the kids. Not someone who's going to pick a fight with his equal counterpart just for the hell of it.

I think this describes Thornton. He's an older guy now and picks his spot more these days. And I believe he'll add more 'offense' than Barch did.

-ghoste

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
He can't, but I hope I'm wrong. We'll see.

he's an ok hockey player. i've watched a bunch of him. he was part of a line that was dominating and helped the Bs take home the cup in '11. he hasn't dropped off all that much. he's better than barch and i thought barch was a decent player for his role. you'll like him. he's no parros (at least the parros i saw).

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Bruin's fan here.

Shawn is a great 4th line guy. Tough as nails and can play hockey too.

He is also a big team leader. He will be great for the younger guys.

Shawn was one of the most fan friendly B's. He is smart and has a great sense of wit. He will play a big role for the community.

If you doubt how loved he was in Boston watch for his first game back in Boston (Nov
4th I believe). I would be shocked if he doesn't get a very nice cheer from the crowd.

I hope you learn to like Shawn.

Last edited:

RCDeltaFixer

Mar 15, 2014
Bruin's fan here.

Shawn is a great 4th line guy. Tough as nails and can play hockey too.

He is also a big team leader. He will be great for the younger guys.

Shawn was one of the most fan friendly B's. He is smart and has a great sense of wit. He will play a big role for the community.

If you doubt how loved he was in Boston watch for his first game back in Boston (Nov
4th I believe). I would be shocked if he doesn't get a very nive cheer from the crowd.

I hope you learn to like Shawn.

Thanks for the insight! :handclap:

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
if he plays for us the way he's played for boston i have no problem and welcome him. i'm a bit concerned that he may have lost a few steps and possibly some skill as he's aged. also i would assume he hasn't lost any motivation, or leadership and team skills.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

"....After that, Thornton fielded some calls from the listeners and talked about his offseason plans, which include looking for houses in Florida and training next month with Freddie Roach."

Impressive. Looking forward to a couple scraps from this guy. Seems like a good leader and his training has been mentioned as one of his biggest assets. Hopefully that rubs off on some of the guys.

Puck Junkie

Jul 15, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
Thornton has never been purely a goon. He's a 4th line checking forward that has a good fighting ability as well. He can skate ok, he's responsible defensively, he can lay people out with a big hit as much as with his fists, and he can score a few goals now and then. He's not entirely an unskilled enforcer which is what Barch was. Plus, he's won in the NHL, a lot. That's something that is valuable when you're trying to teach younger players how to win in the NHL. He's been there done that. Sure, he's not the go to guy on any team, but he's been around winners and experienced what it takes to win it all. These are the kinds of traits that, when your team is at the bottom, you need to add to a franchise in order to pull it up and make it competitive again.

Plus, any player that makes the Panthers tougher to play against is a good addition. He is that at least.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Thornton has never been purely a goon. He's a 4th line checking forward that has a good fighting ability as well. He can skate ok, he's responsible defensively, he can lay people out with a big hit as much as with his fists, and he can score a few goals now and then. He's not entirely an unskilled enforcer which is what Barch was. Plus, he's won in the NHL, a lot. That's something that is valuable when you're trying to teach younger players how to win in the NHL. He's been there done that. Sure, he's not the go to guy on any team, but he's been around winners and experienced what it takes to win it all. These are the kinds of traits that, when your team is at the bottom, you need to add to a franchise in order to pull it up and make it competitive again.

Plus, any player that makes the Panthers tougher to play against is a good addition. He is that at least.

+1

I think Thornton is an underrated addition. He's not going to play every game, but there's no doubt in my mind that he'll have a positive impact on the team, even if it's just in the locker room. The Panthers need to surround their youngsters with winners and they need to learn what it takes to be a winner at the pro level. Guys like Thornton, Mitchell, and Bolland are good, Cup winning, veteran additions that should help the Young Guns take the next step.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Shawn is not afraid to tell fellow team mates to smarten up but in a way that they get the point and still like him.

He will play his 4th line time and understand if he is made to watch from the press box .

I sit next to the B's bench in Boston and Shawn is always one to speak up when the others get down if the game isn't going well. He was one of the leaders in Boston and everyone knows it.

He and his line were excellent during the cup run in 2011. Shawn stays in great shape so I don't think you ever need to worry about him being out of shape.

The press will like him as he is very funny. If they say sometime stupid he will put them in their place.

Many B's fans will be keeping an eye on him. The whole city of Boston loves him for all he does for the community.

Be prepared to have your team shave their heads (or donate $$$) for his cuts for a cause in the Spring. ;)

I hope he does well in Florida as we in Boston will be missing him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad