Tribute Shawn Bates Penalty Shot vs Toronto Maple Leafs - ECQF Game 4, 2002 (NHL Classic)

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
I tell you what, the one player I recall from this series was that guy right there. Steve Webb, one man wrecking crew. His hits were highlight reel and whipped the crowd into a frenzy. Also remember how good Hamerlik and Aucoin were. Injuries to Johnsson and Peca certainly changed the complexion of the series.

Go watch the CBC feed of Game 6 on YouTube -- at the end of the 2nd period Webb crushes Tucker and the crowd explodes. Bob Cole and the analyst were so bitter about Webb and the fans -- it's hilarious. Earlier in the 2nd Cairns catches Roberts with an inadvertent high stick, and Roberts flails around while the crowd cheers wildly. I remember reading the Toronto papers during this series and they called Islander fans the "most vile" in sports. Still cracks me up.

I still get angry watching Tucker and Corson even in 20-year-old video clips. They were like the biggest hothead in the NHL now multiplied by 100. Jesus Christ those guys were out of their minds. Corson getting bludgeoned by Cairns in that Game 6 fight was f'n amazing.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Go watch the CBC feed of Game 6 on YouTube -- at the end of the 2nd period Webb crushes Tucker and the crowd explodes. Bob Cole and the analyst were so bitter about Webb and the fans -- it's hilarious. Earlier in the 2nd Cairns catches Roberts with an inadvertent high stick, and Roberts flails around while the crowd cheers wildly. I remember reading the Toronto papers during this series and they called Islander fans the "most vile" in sports. Still cracks me up.

I still get angry watching Tucker and Corson even in 20-year-old video clips. They were like the biggest hothead in the NHL now multiplied by 100. Jesus Christ those guys were out of their minds. Corson getting bludgeoned by Cairns in that Game 6 fight was f'n amazing.
I remember it well. As an opposing fan at that time. I hated playing against Webb. He gave the opposing team so much energy. His hits were loud and intimidating. Tucker was one of the best agitators of that time, he was a good hockey player that played on the edge and over it. He and Peca became friends when Peca played for the Leafs. He would make Tkachuk seem like a choir boy today. Funny story, I met him before. He was a quiet polite young man. Not big at all. He was finishing up in junior, I think it was after his final season in the WHL. I believe they won a Memorial Cup. Not the way you see him on ice, just a quiet respectful young man.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
that was the first time I ever experienced islander playoff hockey--started following them when I was 8 in 1996/1997--and remember being soooooooo pumped for that goal. what a series that was

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Everything said in this thread is true. Was old enough to see and comprehend the end of the first dynasty (still waiting on the next one) and even though I knew this turn-of-the-century team had it's flaws, the Tucker hit changed the series and the trajectory of the franchise. Worst thing that could've happened in that series, and the worst thing that could've happened to the Isles franchise, was losing Mike Peca to a bad injury.

Was at every game of this series. They were ALL bonkers and as good as any series of wins at home that i've ever seen. Shame how it ended. Hunter, Muller, Tucker... Three absolutely evil villains in Islanders lore.

Reactions: bigtim1988

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Firing Lavi was as big a tier 2 mistake as Mad Mike ever made. We were his first job. He was a great coach for us.

Still think that was nuts. Milbury was otherwise non-responsive to almost every need but when he did decide to be decisive, it was always disastrous. Laviolette had just finished his second season, and the team made the playoffs twice more than it had since '94! Maybe Milbury should've brought in additional help that wasn't just Randy Robitaille and Janne Niinima.

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
Still think that was nuts. Milbury was otherwise non-responsive to almost every need but when he did decide to be decisive, it was always disastrous. Laviolette had just finished his second season, and the team made the playoffs twice more than it had since '94! Maybe Milbury should've brought in additional help that wasn't just Randy Robitaille and Janne Niinima.

then the ensuing off season they added Jason Weimer who had strange isles stint.

Surfrat

Feb 16, 2013
NJ

Good stuff

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
Good stuff

What I always remember about that Corson/cairns fight was Corson trying to kick cairns at the end of the fight. It’s at the 5 minute mark, in an ugly series I always though that deserved a suspension.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I was in the 300's on the opposite end. The thing i remember very clearly is there was no "quiet edge of your seat" tension about the PS. From the moment Bates got the breakaway and the penalty was called the roaring never ceased. It was at an even decibel, like the entire coliseum knew he was going to score. There was no doubt. It was just a loud constant thunderous roar through the entire time. I'll go back and watch the video in the OP now, but that was my recollection of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad