Tribute Shawn Bates Penalty Shot vs Toronto Maple Leafs - ECQF Game 4, 2002 (NHL Classic)

Lexus

OWN THE MOMENT.
Jan 29, 2009
Just wanted to share a clip or rather a sequence from almost nineteen years ago at the Nassau Coliseum... :)

"Islander legend Ken Morrow had been with the team through four Stanley cups and said that the Bates penalty shot was the loudest he heard Nassau Coliseum. "I've never heard the building louder then when Shawn scored that penalty shot goal," Morrow said."

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
It’s nice as an intimate moment in Isles history. Unfortunately, still was a first round loss, followed by several more.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
This was inexplicably loud and impossible to explain unless you were in the building. Even in the clip it sounds ridiculous and that doesn’t do it justice. I thought the building was going to crack somewhere... probably did lol Every time I see that clip I still get chills.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
This was inexplicably loud and impossible to explain unless you were in the building. Even in the clip it sounds ridiculous and that doesn’t do it justice. I thought the building was going to crack somewhere... probably did lol Every time I see that clip I still get chills.
Couldn’t even hear the song in the 300s it was so loud. Should have win that series and probably would have if Peca and Jonsson didn’t get hurt.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
The Islanders equivalent to the Endy Chavez catch. An amazing moment that ultimately resulted in nothing.

Unfortunately, that is how it worked out.

I was at both games, for the Bates penalty shot and the Chavez catch.

Shea stadium erupted after the Chavez catch. Loudest I have ever heard a crowd at a baseball game, even louder than some of the 1986 playoff games, playoff clinching games, etc. that I can recall.

As for a similar football play, in a season that ultimately fell short, I was at the Giants-Eagles playoff game, where Ron Dixon took the kickoff 97 yards for an opening TD. My father and I were in the endzone he was running towards. The crowd reaction was insane.

Unfortunately, after pummeling the Vikings, the Ravens DST took down the Giants.

Willie Randolph was a moron, who should have been beaten and hogtied for not sending Glavine up to bunt.

And that Leafs team, like many before and after, were dirtbags.

But they are all still fun sports memories, in a vacuum.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
It’s nice as an intimate moment in Isles history. Unfortunately, still was a first round loss, followed by several more.
It was huge for the franchise though. You need W's. The low in the late 90's was too much, Islander nation needed some sort of win and that's why the place was so loud and why we always go back to a first round loss for nostalgia.
Everything aside, this is why it's better to be an Isles fan than say a Leafs fan or a Rangers fan or something.
Absolutely true.

The athletic did a fan poll (I believe) on all stadiums. Coliseum was #3 for atmosphere and sightlines. Everything else was #25 or higher resulting in landing at like bottom 5 overall.

But what else do you need?

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
The Islanders equivalent to the Endy Chavez catch. An amazing moment that ultimately resulted in nothing.

You must be so much fun at parties...

Was there as well -- with mom - the series was off the charts -- I recall standing on seat for penalty shot and jumping into peoples arms as he scored - Deafening. And I'll agree with Morrow -- when we were winning Cups, there was a quiet expectation where the noise level really didnt begin until the semi's. lol..

"Patrick division semis vs the Caps? Again?? No thanks -- I'll wait till next round"

This game/round vs Leafs was really the first adrenaline rush at the Coli in a LONG LONG time.. and thats what ya got. f***ing Corson, Domi, Tucker -- what a bunch of thugs.

Help me out here -- I recall a playoff clinching game vs the Caps in regular season that year- we won by a big margin -- crowd screaming "playoffs!! playoffs!!!" at the end..

Does that sound right?

Edit - I recall Bates admitting to Deb Kaufman after the game that he almost puked when they called a penalty shot from nerves!!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Here's the CBC feed of the entire game, in case anyone's interested:

I tell you what, the one player I recall from this series was that guy right there. Steve Webb, one man wrecking crew. His hits were highlight reel and whipped the crowd into a frenzy. Also remember how good Hamerlik and Aucoin were. Injuries to Johnsson and Peca certainly changed the complexion of the series.

Reactions: JoeM

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
I will never forget that game. I sat beside two leaf fans who got up quietly and left after that bates goal. It was a thing of beauty.

Those tough games got the guys in my college suite into hockey. After the brutal loss in game 7 everyone was like “that’s it?

The series may have been a first round exit, but for those of us that lived through the late 90 isles, it was more than that. Finally some legitimacy. Unfortunately Milbury/Wang didn’t build upon that team, and mediocrity is all we got.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
That was a fun series

“Steve Webb!, Steven Webb!, Steve Webb!...”

Like a fire hydrant on skates, just crushing everyone in sight. Mostly clean IFRC, although some Leafs fans may disagree. Is there any montage of hits on youtube of his?

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I was sitting in the 100's with my Mom. She was fairly new to the sport and is a very reserved woman. I turned to her after the goal and we were both overwhelmed , in a positive way. I saved the rally towel from that game as a relic, it got misplaced or lost in a move at some point but the memory will be with me forever.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
You must be so much fun at parties...

Was there as well -- with mom - the series was off the charts -- I recall standing on seat for penalty shot and jumping into peoples arms as he scored - Deafening. And I'll agree with Morrow -- when we were winning Cups, there was a quiet expectation where the noise level really didnt begin until the semi's. lol..

"Patrick division semis vs the Caps? Again?? No thanks -- I'll wait till next round"

This game/round vs Leafs was really the first adrenaline rush at the Coli in a LONG LONG time.. and thats what ya got. f***ing Corson, Domi, Tucker -- what a bunch of thugs.

Help me out here -- I recall a playoff clinching game vs the Caps in regular season that year- we won by a big margin -- crowd screaming "playoffs!! playoffs!!!" at the end..

Does that sound right?

Edit - I recall Bates admitting to Deb Kaufman after the game that he almost puked when they called a penalty shot from nerves!!
Yes, sort of. It was Washington, first time we beat them in 5 years. And we had a 5-1 lead, but they scored 3 in the 3rd. The last few seconds were bedlam and relief.

That was my first year with season seats. Very satisfying.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I tell you what, the one player I recall from this series was that guy right there. Steve Webb, one man wrecking crew. His hits were highlight reel and whipped the crowd into a frenzy. Also remember how good Hamerlik and Aucoin were. Injuries to Johnsson and Peca certainly changed the complexion of the series.
Hamrlik and those shoulder pads - he was the only guy in the game that looked like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad