Castle Rock, CO

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
They should replace the PP coach
I didn't think we had one to replace.

Joke aside I'm in the camp that thinks our proplems on the PP are created as much by the players than the PP coach. For instance...moving the puck too slow, Mack trying stupid passes or trying to go through 3 players, players deferring to Mack too often, lack of screen in front of the goalie, etc. Now people could argue most of those are brought in by the PP coach but I think they are often player-driven instead. The proof to this to me is how more dangerous our 2nd PP looks sometimes compare to our 1st PP. With that said I don't think our PP is as bad as people here make it out to be. It is constantly top-10 in the league if I'm not mistaken.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I have no idea how Toby will do in this role. He did start his own consulting firm for younger player skill development last winter after being out of coaching for a bit that I've heard good things about. Bednar, Pratt and Petersen all go WAY back together too.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I didn't think we had one to replace.

Joke aside I'm in the camp that thinks our proplems on the PP are created as much by the players than the PP coach. For instance...moving the puck too slow, Mack trying stupid passes or trying to go through 3 players, players deferring to Mack too often, lack of screen in front of the goalie, etc. Now people could argue most of those are brought in by the PP coach but I think they are often player-driven instead. The proof to this to me is how more dangerous our 2nd PP looks sometimes compare to our 1st PP. With that said I don't think our PP is as bad as people here make it out to be. It is constantly top-10 in the league if I'm not mistaken.
I think the players play a pretty major role. They want perfection way too often and tend to get cute. The perfection thing that drives me the most nuts is MacK wants the pass setting up his one time in such a small area. If it doesn't hit that 6" window, he passes it back to Makar almost every time to set it up again. If he'd just fire the puck slightly outside that window more often, he'd score a lot more goals. He isn't like Rants that'll adjust to it. Drives me insane.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I have no idea how Toby will do in this role. He did start his own consulting firm for younger player skill development last winter after being out of coaching for a bit that I've heard good things about. Bednar, Pratt and Petersen all go WAY back together too.
About this much back?

johansen_ryan121226_1.jpg

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I think the players play a pretty major role. They want perfection way too often and tend to get cute. The perfection thing that drives me the most nuts is MacK wants the pass setting up his one time in such a small area. If it doesn't hit that 6" window, he passes it back to Makar almost every time to set it up again. If he'd just fire the puck slightly outside that window more often, he'd score a lot more goals. He isn't like Rants that'll adjust to it. Drives me insane.
Some players just don't have that big of a wheelhouse tho. Mack is pretty picky when it comes to receiving a pass but maybe he knows his shot is shit if it's not how he likes it.

Brett Hull had a 6 foot wide radius of a wheelhouse. I swear you put that puck anywhere near him and he's getting a one timer off.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Avs probably just lost the best skater in their organization. :(

I suppose if Bednar trusts him, then go for it, but I'm curious as to why they made the move. Is it just that Bednar wanted his own guy?

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
I just watched the video about a week ago on the Avs main site with Allard. Seemed like a good guy. I hadn’t realized how important his role was for injured guys trying to rehab and being isolated from the team. Seems like he did a good job.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This is a big loss IMO. Hope Petersen can help the team the way Allard did.

Wonder if he's following EJ to Buffalo? EJ trained with him leading up to the World Cup and recommended him to Bednar. He'd be closer to his home in Ottawa too.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
They should be setting up Mikko as the primary one time target anyway, he’s the better pp goal scorer.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
So true about Mack and Mikko. Mikko will contort himself to make the shot. No way Mack does that.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Amen.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
This drives me up a f***in wall.

Some players just don't have that big of a wheelhouse tho. Mack is pretty picky when it comes to receiving a pass but maybe he knows his shot is shit if it's not how he likes it.

Brett Hull had a 6 foot wide radius of a wheelhouse. I swear you put that puck anywhere near him and he's getting a one timer off.
Might be the best player I have ever seen at this. Couldnt give a bad pass to Hull.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

It is a skill that can be worked on and should be.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming

Looks like he spoke to Peter, and if you don't have access, it's just that his contract expired and he has kids/family he wants to be more involved with (no other job or anything, at least not right now). Good for him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Mikko is doing no playmaking on the pp sadly.

Mikko did lead Avs forwards in PP assists last year. Two more than Nate and one less than Cale.

Led the team in primary PP assists too. 1 more than Cale and 11 more than the next forward in MacKinnon.

9th among forwards in the NHL and 4th in primary PP assists among NHL forwards as well.

He's not that pure playmaker where you know he's looking to setup a pass the whole time. He's more of that sneaky good passer with elite vision and instincts, who just knows whether the better play is to pass or shoot, so he racks up the numbers.

Probably also why he can look like he's having a bad game but still end up with 2-3 points.

Reactions: MarkT

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Mikko did lead Avs forwards in PP assists last year. Two more than Nate and one less than Cale.

Led the team in primary PP assists too. 1 more than Cale and 11 more than the next forward in MacKinnon.

9th among forwards in the NHL and 4th in primary PP assists among NHL forwards as well.

He's not that pure playmaker where you know he's looking to setup a pass the whole time. He's more of that sneaky good passer with elite vision and instincts, who just knows whether the better play is to pass or shoot, so he racks up the numbers.

Probably also why he can look like he's having a bad game but still end up with 2-3 points.
Exactly. A "playmaker" is usually a guy who was the puck on his stick, skating around with it and making passes to open guys. Mikko will do whatever is most likely to lead to a goal, which could be shooting, setting someone up, carrying the puck, or cycling it. This is why he's so great - he's not a one dimensional player.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad