Equipment: Shaving gel on glove palms

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
So I just found some lanolin shaving gel (skintimate women's gel if anyone's wondering) and I have 2 questions: how much am I supposed to leave on the palms? I wiped most of it off but rubbed it in a lot and after a few hours of drying they feel no better, and is "lanolin alcohol" the right ingredient? Or should I look for something that says just "lanolin"

SacredPetra

Dec 24, 2012
Colorado
What are you trying to do? Lanolin alcohol is lanolin mixed with acetic acid and lye, so it's not quite the same thing as straight lanolin ( according to Wikipedia).

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
What are you trying to do? Lanolin alcohol is lanolin mixed with acetic acid and lye, so it's not quite the same thing as straight lanolin ( according to Wikipedia).

****.. well then looks like I'll have to find another product! I'm trying to make my glove palms softer because they are in rough condition.

SacredPetra

Dec 24, 2012
Colorado
Are they leather? If so, here is my completely unsolicited advice. I work with leather quite a bit ( albeit not in hockey gloves) and my two favorite products are the foaming leather new, and olive oil. As with everything I say on here, I don't guarantee it for hockey gear ( although I highly doubt it'll hurt anything if shaving cream didn't) but I'd find a time when you aren't wearing the gloves for 24 hours and put a dab (a little goes a long way) of olive oil on a sponge and put it on the inside of the glove palms. Then I'd clean the outside of the palms with Leather New. The Leather New does add a little bit of tackiness to leather ( goes away with use, but is noticeable for about the first 2 or 3 hours of use), so if that bothers you, I'd try to find a beeswax conditioner.

Like I said, I don't guarantee it on hockey gear, but I've been using these techniques for decades on my horse tack, riding boots, gloves, and shoes. The Leather New is pretty cheap, lasts forever, and is nice to have around if you have any unpolished shoes/ boots. I like it better than lanolin which, IME, has a tendency top work it's way back out of leather, especially as it changes temperature.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I've found anything I try to do to my gloves to clean or soften them seems to make things worse. Drying them out ASAP is the only thing that's worked for me.

At one point in time I did use the Skintimate gel to try and clean gloves, they just got nasty anyway.

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
I use the Barbasol with Lanolin in the yellow can. Usually about twice a year I wash all my gear including gloves. When they come out of the wash I liberally apply the shaving cream to the palms inside and out. I then wipe off the excess that gets on other parts of the glove and let them air dry. I think they come out great. Nothing like brand new but very soft compared to how they went in. I've used this method only on nash material, the stuff that comes on the high end Vapor pro gloves, so I can't guarantee it will work on others. Obviously if my gloves had any leather on them they would not be going in the wash at all. Here is a link to the stuff: http://www.drugstore.com/products/p...ID=120142990000069346&CAGPSPN=pla&kpid=511119

neumann103

Feb 20, 2010
Winnah. There really is so little difference between high end gloves and $40 gloves that you can feel while playing.

Sure there is: protection.

When I started playing hockey again in adulthood I picked up a pair of Sherwood gloves on clearance. They were unbelievably cheap, which was great, but the main thing was that they were 15" gloves that felt great, not at all restricting of wrist movement.

After playing for about three years I broke my hand blocking a slapshot. In retrospect, I should have seen it coming. The dual density foam and all were fine, but the gloves lacked proper hard protective layer. I immediately tossed them aside and got a pair of Itech which lasted 9 years. Solid.

I recently replaced them with Easton Stealth RS. Was debating them or the CCM 4 roll which is more my (old school) style. Both were about $125 on sale for half price.

In looking at a lot of gloves I found that until you got into the upper mid price range you rarely get protection I need.

I agree that the feel and utility of cheaper gloves is close to as good and your general point that there is a lot of gear that it makes sense to buy and replace frequently (Hockey Bags! FTW!) is valid but with gloves I have found that while more expensive does not necessarily equal better protection, the better protection does cost more, and those gloves do last longer.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
I was wearing winwell pro stock gloves and took a point blank slapshot to my hand. my hand was still sore, red and marked with the pattern of the inside of the glove. however, there was no real injury. I work at a computer. I need my hands. i buy protective gloves and hold onto them.

Last edited:

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Or get good gloves and take good care of them.

Air them out, have a fan blowing at it, wash it periodically on the softest setting in your washing machine OR soak it in soap water and dry it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad