Sharks to get Ice Team in 2014-2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamTeal8

Apr 3, 2013
Bay Area
Sharks CSN Bay Area Insider Kevin Kurz did a chat today and according to him, the Sharks could be getting ice girls for the upcoming 2014-2015 season.

Good move, bad move?

I personally think it's a great move, especially if the team sucks next season. It will be nice to have a distraction on the ice! lol

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It's a waste of money that could be better put elsewhere like scouting or facilities.

If done right the ice girls can be money makers also. Boston i believe it is (that i have looked or seen do it. Others might do it also) there ice girls make calenders and stuff like that. And do special meet and greets just like the players.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
I'm just going to copy over exactly what I said in the News/Notes thread...

This is disgusting. I hope it's not true.

I have always been happy and proud that our franchise did not stoop to this level. That it was all about the game on the ice. Now it appears that entire mentality is shifting. So now they're intentionally going to decrease the actual game product by not giving a **** or doing anything to improve the team. But sure let's get ice girls so that it will hopefully distract all of the horny idiots in the crowd from the fact that that we are willfully letting the actual hockey product quality decline.

Not to mention that I find the whole practice completely sexist and insulting. Having attended games in chicago, i found the clothing (or lack of) from the girls out there scraping the ice to make for an extremely awkward and uncomfortable spectacle. Totally unnecessary.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
It's a waste of money that could be better put elsewhere like scouting or facilities.

I get it. They trying to get something going on exciting for the fans. Since there hasn't been anything roster worthy. Outdoor games ice girls. Not serious about the money right? They're not going to get much

Eighth Fret

Jan 11, 2011

I have always been happy and proud that our franchise did not stoop to this level. That it was all about the game on the ice. Now it appears that entire mentality is shifting. So now they're intentionally going to decrease the actual game product by not giving a **** or doing anything to improve the team. But sure let's get ice girls so that it will hopefully distract all of the horny idiots in the crowd from the fact that that we are willfully letting the actual hockey product quality decline.

Not to mention that I find the whole practice completely sexist and insulting. Having attended games in chicago, i found the clothing (or lack of) from the girls out there scraping the ice to make for an extremely awkward and uncomfortable spectacle. Totally unnecessary.

Agreed 100%

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Agreed 100%

You as well. The gimmicky stuff. Outdoor games like I said ice girls since they're not making any roster moves their going to define not spending the 10 million 15 million of cap by spending really no money money at all on ice girls it's pathetic.

Irbes Mask

Like Wall
Jun 15, 2013
California

I agree that it's sexist. I agree that it's unnecessary. I was/am happy that to this point the sharks have not engaged in ice girls. However, there is zero evidence that they're "intentionally going to decrease the actual game product by not giving a **** or doing anything to improve the team." Zero. To accept that premise as fact would be to buy in to Doug Wilson's annual smoke and magic show, and until the product on the ice is visibly degraded, that's taking conjecture and comparing it to other conjecture for the purpose of venting. Now, what you're venting about is your business but considering the two sides you're weighing it seems superfluous.

Hertl

Fun Must Be Sometimes
Nov 15, 2010
Fix attendance woes due to rebuild with ice girls. :sarcasm:

Would it be okay if we had guys in skimpy outfits alongside the girls?

TeamTeal8

Apr 3, 2013
Bay Area
It was going to happen eventually. I too liked the fact we were one of the few teams to have ice girls, but if they are going to do it, I could honestly care less.

I'm pretty sure every NBA Team has cheerleaders and I believe every team except the Packers and Giants in the NFL have cheerleaders. It's even coming to MLB. The Miami Marlins I believe have a cheer team now too.

Lets face it. Sex sells and if the product on the ice is going to suffer, the Sharks management I guess feel this is a way to distract from that?

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Fix attendance woes due to rebuild with ice girls. :sarcasm:

Would it be okay if we had guys in skimpy outfits alongside the girls?

No. **** no man, I believe you'd get your ass kicked doing something like that.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Teams that have won the cup in the past 9 years. Chicago (ice girls), boston (ice girls), los angeles (ice girls), detroit (ice girls), pittsburgh (ice girls), carolina (ice girls), anaheim (ice girls).

San jose chokers (no ice girls). I see a theme.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
I agree that it's sexist. I agree that it's unnecessary. I was/am happy that to this point the sharks have not engaged in ice girls. However, there is zero evidence that they're "intentionally going to decrease the actual game product by not giving a **** or doing anything to improve the team." Zero. To accept that premise as fact would be to buy in to Doug Wilson's annual smoke and magic show, and until the product on the ice is visibly degraded, that's taking conjecture and comparing it to other conjecture for the purpose of venting. Now, what you're venting about is your business but considering the two sides you're weighing it seems superfluous.

Who knows what DW will actually do. I'm still holding out on the fact that only months ago I thought DW was an extremely intelligent hockey man, so i was either completely wrong or he's just talking out of his ass. Which is also frustrating. I will wait to pass judgement on him until I actually see what he does to this team through the end of free agency. However, I can also at the same time pass judgement on the things he has said (which have been idiotic on so many levels) and the few things he has done (like signing Mike Brown oh god i'm trying to block that out of my memory). And the perception that he has created of the organization going forward by what he says, combined with things like this are what lead me to see it the way I expressed it above. So until he goes against that, I'll view moves like this in the prism of this ****** new organizational philosophy they're preaching.

But still, take out all of that part of my post that you seemingly object to and the point still stands:

I find the whole practice completely sexist and insulting. Having attended games in chicago, i found the clothing (or lack of) from the girls out there scraping the ice to make for an extremely awkward and uncomfortable spectacle. Totally unnecessary.

So unless you want to turn this thread into yet another one arguing about DW and the meaning of the word 're-build' i'm not sure why you felt the need to dispute that particular portion of my post.

Hertl

Fun Must Be Sometimes
Nov 15, 2010
how about hiring olympic ice skaters for the job, it would be tasteful and entertaining

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
It was going to happen eventually. I too liked the fact we were one of the few teams to have ice girls, but if they are going to do it, I could honestly care less.

And are you a female fan? Didn't think so...

You don't give a **** that the Sharks are going to do something insulting and degrading to half of the population and their fanbase. Great. That's awesome for you (not really).

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
how about hiring olympic ice skaters for the job, it would be tasteful and entertaining

How about have little kids do it. Their parents make a large enough donation to the Sharks foundation and the kids get to scrape the ice for a game. Kind of like the ball dudes for the Giants. Help charities and the kids get a cool experience. Win win.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
Done..gif

I guess status quo wasn't an option....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad