Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Santeri Hatakka to ELC

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
He looked very good at the world jrs but thats the only time ive watched him play

He was one of the better d-men in the tourney for sure. The commentators seem to base their praise on draft pedigree early and performance latter, and mention of Hatakka's became more prominently as the tournament progressed. A very pleasant surprise. I think he has 3-4 upside.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If Simek is picked or dealt, I can see either Kniazev or Hatakka winning his spot. Pasichnuk has been unimpressive and they don’t think Merkley is ready.

Reactions: Sandisfan

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
Played well at the WJC, excited to see him at the next camp. With Karlsson and Burns on the right, we can use complementary, defensively responsible LDs.

Found the comments from DougWilsonJr after the WJC.

Defenseman Santeri Hatakka, selected 184th overall by the Sharks in 2019, helped Finland win a bronze medal. [...]
Hatakka had two points in the tournament and averaged close to 20 minutes of ice time in seven games. [...]

Wilson took time earlier this week with Bay Area News Group and went over how each player performed in the tournament.
Wilson on Hatakka: “He reminds me of Marcus Ragnarsson and Niklas Hjalmarsson. He played top minutes, a defensive defensemen. I think Sharks fans appreciate good defensive defensemen when they see it. We’ve had a history with Marcus Ragnarsson, Scotty Hannan and Marc-Edouard Vlasic, (Justin) Braun and now (Mario) Ferraro. He’s just a guy who plays a ton of minutes. He had a real good tournament.”

On how Hatakka has developed since he was drafted: “For his particular role, it’s really just experience and getting games. He’s played two seasons now in the top league in Finland, so he plays against men every night. But he’s just a really good skater, he closes plays very fast and he plays hard. He’s chipping in a little bit more offensively now. Finnish-style, they let their defensemen pinch down a lot. In the world juniors, you saw Hatakka on the forecheck a few times. It’s actually very similar to how Bob Boughner wants to play with letting the (defensemen) go all the way down in the play. With Hatakka, he’s just a really solid defenseman. It’s just getting more experience.”
Source: Curtis Pashelka - San Jose Sharks: Doug Wilson Jr. on world juniors, Thomas Bordeleau

Reactions: Friday

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Played well at the WJC, excited to see him at the next camp. With Karlsson and Burns on the right, we can use complementary, defensively responsible LDs.

Found the comments from DougWilsonJr after the WJC.

Source: Curtis Pashelka - San Jose Sharks: Doug Wilson Jr. on world juniors, Thomas Bordeleau

We already have Ferraro and Knyzhov looking really good in their spots across Burns and Karlsson. Clearly of the two, Knyzhov's spot is less secure. But then we're likely talking about playing across Vlasic. Since he's played both sides, it'll be a real competition between what they have for that spot. Between Hatakka, Kniazev, Pasichnuk, and Merkley, it would seem that one of them will be on the Sharks come next season. I don't think it matters if Simek gets picked up by Seattle or not, can't see him being here anymore. He's done well given his abilities but it's time.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Skates very well, able to make a quick pass to get outta the zone. Defensive first guy with not a lot of offensive tools. BUT seems like he's a pretty smooth passer and he plays smart

After the WJC, I felt he showed a lot more offense than his scouting reports suggested he had, and the commentators suggested the same. He was down to/below the goal line in the o-zone and made some smart plays. Kniazev was at another level offensively, but I think Hatakka has developed more offensive skill than dated scouting reports suggest.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It'll be pretty incredible if this kid manages to succeed in NA from the start. He's been the Sharks sleeper pick for years and if they're right, they may have a little defenseman etsy here.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Does this mean Vlasic can be traded, or something? Does the Sharks have to given compensation to the EU team he played on, like Jones? (please).

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
He’s pretty awesome. I think his offense is far better than Braun’s was

That is hyperbolic. Braun showed good offensive potential in college, more than Hatakka has shown thus far. It just never manifested in the NHL (though he did have some good offensively productive seasons here and there).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad