Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign John Scott

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
In actuality, it's guys like Tommy Wingels that have more of an impact on that kind of stuff than guys like John Scott. Ryane Clowe was doing a decent job at it and then stopped after he went overboard in Columbus. Enforcers aren't the way to go to protect regular young players. You need regular players willing to take that task on and it's at its best if that player can play with those young players.

This is one solid ****ing point.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Just Brown or Scott would do (and then I choose Brown by a mile), we certainly don't need two Dinobots out there.

I'm not in Scott's camp, but Brown proved to me to be completely worthless. That signing is actually worse than Scott's.

Brown was in the game when Hertl got hurt. His stat line? 3 hits and a -1. What good is he out there? Seriously, what do people think Brown brings to this team to justify a roster spot over a half dozen other guys? So now DW goes out and gets Scott. But honestly, if he's not willing to take an instigator or suspension to "prevent" things from happening, he'll be just as worthless.

Honestly, I'm really sick of Stoll and Brown taking out the Sharks talent, and the league is indifferent to it.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I thought that was Vancouver he went overboard on. Anyway yeah that makes sense, but I don't think that John Scott is there for anything other than intimidation.

He went overboard in Columbus with retaliation penalties on that horrible road trip in 2011-12. Yes, Scott is solely here to intimidate but how much of it will actually be done is debateable when he's only playing 5 minutes a night. I also would debate his usage by TMac. Winchester is the closest guy they've had to Scott although he was a much more useful player and he wasn't used that much although he dressed regularly. Staubitz was probably more of an accurate comparison but he didn't play that much here.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'm not in Scott's camp, but Brown proved to me to be completely worthless. That signing is actually worse than Scott's.

Brown was in the game when Hertl got hurt. His stat line? 3 hits and a -1. What good is he out there? Seriously, what do people think Brown brings to this team to justify a roster spot over a half dozen other guys?

He's fast. He's got that going for him. But that's about it.

He went overboard in Columbus with retaliation penalties on that horrible road trip in 2011-12. Yes, Scott is solely here to intimidate but how much of it will actually be done is debateable when he's only playing 5 minutes a night. I also would debate his usage by TMac. Winchester is the closest guy they've had to Scott although he was a much more useful player and he wasn't used that much although he dressed regularly. Staubitz was probably more of an accurate comparison but he didn't play that much here.
Ah I just remember in the lockout season he went really overboard in Vancouver and got ejected. I completely agree that Scott is not going to be playing much.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Brown is one of those "will over skill" guys that DW likes to target, problem is he doesn't have much skill.

FSS

Aug 2, 2012
The Brown deal is worse than the Scott deal termwise, and I wasn't happy with Brown at all either...he had a role to fill, didn't do it, so why bring him back? But to bring Brown back, and then bring in Scott, come on. Neither of these guys should have been the discussion for the '14/'15 season. They're 1.9mil in dead money & two wasted roster spots as far as I'm concerned.

Speaking of "wasted roster spots", we already had another two wasted spots with Burish & Kennedy (4.2mil), so we continued the bad decision making trend on overpaid FA signings of 3rd/4th liners. The only one of those 4 players I can tolerate on the 4th line is Burish, no clue why the other 3 guys are on this team.

6.1 mil, 4 roster spots...for those four guys? My Lord.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Brown deal is worse than the Scott deal termwise, and I wasn't happy with Brown at all either...he had a role to fill, didn't do it, so why bring him back? But to bring Brown back, and then bring in Scott, come on. Neither of these guys should have been the discussion for the '14/'15 season. They're 1.9mil in dead money & two wasted roster spots as far as I'm concerned.

They kept him simply due to games 1 and 2 and I'm sure it was mostly for bowling over Quick a couple times...completely ignoring that he got scratched for good reason and was getting dominated pretty much every time he was on the ice...while not being the physical energy guy they were getting the first two games.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
In actuality, it's guys like Tommy Wingels that have more of an impact on that kind of stuff than guys like John Scott. Ryane Clowe was doing a decent job at it and then stopped after he went overboard in Columbus. Enforcers aren't the way to go to protect regular young players. You need regular players willing to take that task on and it's at its best if that player can play with those young players.

Tye McGinn should be able to fill the role. Lil' Ginners will see more action than Scott.

Still have Desi outside of Brown and Scott as well.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Tye McGinn should be able to fill the role. Lil' Ginners will see more action than Scott.

Still have Desi outside of Brown and Scott as well.

All of McGinn, Desi, Brown, and Scott are 4th liners. They will not fill that role. They need players that can play anywhere on the top three lines where those young players are playing for them to be effective at that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad