Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Filip Zadina to 1 year contract 1.1MAAV

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't see the Sharks getting an improvement in goaltending considering they replaced Reimer with someone far worse
With goaltending variance being what it is, you can’t be surprised at any sort of performance over one season. Even someone as mediocre as Reimer can have a good enough year to steal enough points to make the lottery long odds for us.

Reactions: timorous me

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
With goaltending variance being what it is, you can’t be surprised at any sort of performance over one season. Even someone as mediocre as Reimer can have a good enough year to steal enough points to make the lottery long odds for us.
He did it 2 seasons ago lol

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Being the #6 overall pick in the 2018 draft, and the Wings did not give him a qualifying offer, he's a draft dud that seems reasonable as if the Sharks drafted him. He replaces Merkley from that draft class.

Same draft class as Martin Kraut too.

Reactions: karltonian

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Being the #6 overall pick in the 2018 draft, and the Wings did not give him a qualifying offer, he's a draft dud that seems reasonable as if the Sharks drafted him. He replaces Merkley from that draft class.

Except it seems that Zadina doesn't have the character issues.

Reactions: karltonian

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

There was no QO to give seeing as he was under contract and walked away from a $1.8M deal for $0 because he wanted out of Detroit so badly.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
There was no QO to give seeing as he was under contract and walked away from a $1.8M deal for $0 because he wanted out of Detroit so badly.
It’s also a stretch to put Zadina in the same category as Merkley and Kaut. Zadina is a proven NHLer and the others are clearly not.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It’s also a stretch to put Zadina in the same category as Merkley and Kaut. Zadina is a proven NHLer and the others are clearly not.
Proven NHLer? What? Zadina was not good in DET. If he’s a proven NHLer then so were guys like Dylan Gambrell, Benn Ferreiro, Freddie Hamilton with SJ.

Feel like to be considered an NHLer you have to have some sort of success.

Reactions: Sandisfan

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Proven NHLer? What? Zadina was not good in DET. If he’s a proven NHLer then so were guys like Dylan Gambrell, Benn Ferreiro, Freddie Hamilton with SJ.

Playing more than a handful of games is a success

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

At 23 years old Zadina has already played almost 200 NHL games and scored at a 30 points per 82 games pace. Freddie Hamilton had 6 career points. That's a ridiculous comparison.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020

I'd assume proven in the sense that Zadina has played in 190 NHL games while Merkeley and Kaut have played in 39 and 56 games respectively.

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Playing more than a handful of games is a success
So Goldobin was a success. If you don’t consider Goldobin a success, you shouldn’t consider Zadina a success. And if Goldobin was a success, you should really reevaluate your definition in my opinion.

At 23 years old Zadina has already played almost 200 NHL games and scored at a 30 points per 82 games pace. Freddie Hamilton had 6 career points. That's a ridiculous comparison.
Okay then Goldobin. He has a higher career PPG.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
So Goldobin was a success. If you don’t consider Goldobin a success, you shouldn’t consider Zadina a success. And if Goldobin was a success, you should really reevaluate your definition in my opinion.

Goldobin was notoriously awful defensively to the point of being unplayable. His offense wasn't holding him back. Zadina's production has been identical to Goldobin but by all accounts he is also a decent player without the puck.

"Proven NHLer" doesn't mean world beater, it just means Zadina is better than a replacement level AHL call up which he obviously is.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Goldobin was notoriously awful defensively to the point of being unplayable. His offense wasn't holding him back. Zadina's production has been identical to Goldobin but by all accounts he is also a decent player without the puck.

"Proven NHLer" doesn't mean world beater, it just means Zadina is better than a replacement level AHL call up which he obviously is.
He has been decent defensively LAST YEAR. Look at his production last year.

Like I’ve said before, I hope he works. I loved him his draft year but I think everyone is getting clouded by his draft position. He has not been good. He’s been basically Goldobin every year except last year which he was ironically Jannick Hansen. I hope he can figure it out with us and become a piece for our future, I’m just not counting on it before seeing him play with us.

Last edited:

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

But Zadina was picked 6th overall whereas Hamilton was a 5th round pick. There's more expectations on Zadina which didn't pan out for that high of a pick. That's my point about Zadina.

Except it seems that Zadina doesn't have the character issues.

True, but you have to admit there is irony being in the same draft class.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007

Generally people who play 200 games are considered "NHLers"

You can argue with that all you want. You are entitled to your opinion.

Whether that defines success is just you needing to move goal posts around.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
The one hope I have for Zadina is that he was sidelined by injuries which messed up his training which messed up his confidence. There were a lot of mitigating circumstances and I’m hoping this summer, he’s healthy, he has a new team, he bet on himself and the coaches will trust him. It’s a great reboot all around so hopefully he can find what he once had.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Generally people who play 200 games are considered "NHLers"

You can argue with that all you want. You are entitled to your opinion.

Whether that defines success is just you needing to move goal posts around.
I mean Zadina hasn’t played 200 games yet. It’s not moving the goalposts at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad