Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign a 6'6 Finish Defenceman, Valtteri Pulli (edit: Or not?) (edit: Actually yes)

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017

Grier: You had me at 6'6

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Obviously don't watch any Finnish league, but a few prospect-focused scouts seem to suggest he could be a good pick up.

Our D is such in a bad shape, I like the idea of just stockpiling as much as possible to create competition.
GMMG seems to go quantity over quality with his acquiring of multiple goalie and now defense prospects

He probably wants his main selling point of investing way more on prospect development to be put in a good position to succeed

DW sometimes seemed to have his eyes on certain prizes and then wait years for the opportunity to grab someone, but maybe that was just him marketing his shiny new acquisitions

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
GMMG seems to go quantity over quality with his acquiring of multiple goalie and now defense prospects

He probably wants his main selling point of investing way more on prospect development to be put in a good position to succeed

DW sometimes seemed to have his eyes on certain prizes and then wait years for the opportunity to grab someone, but maybe that was just him marketing his shiny new acquisitions

I think we had so few quality D and goalie prospects that he’s trying to get us from zero to something and I appreciate it. He also is obviously emphasizing trying to get young guys who are ready or very close to ready to play in the NHL.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Here is Corey Pronmans opinion (Athletic):

23. Valetti Pulli, LHD, TPS-Liiga:Pulli is a massive defenseman at 6-foot-6 who became a regular this season with a good TPS club and got an invite to Finland’s national team. He has some hockey sense, but his puck game is limited. I’ve seen worse feet on a big guy like him but I wouldn’t call his skating an asset either. He will probably get signed but it’s a long path for him to the NHL I think.“

He labeled him a „longshot“ to play in the NHL

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
Here is Corey Pronmans opinion (Athletic):

23. Valetti Pulli, LHD, TPS-Liiga:Pulli is a massive defenseman at 6-foot-6 who became a regular this season with a good TPS club and got an invite to Finland’s national team. He has some hockey sense, but his puck game is limited. I’ve seen worse feet on a big guy like him but I wouldn’t call his skating an asset either. He will probably get signed but it’s a long path for him to the NHL I think.“

He labeled him a „longshot“ to play in the NHL
Also keep in mind the Liiga is much worse than the KHL/SHL. I do hope he pans out since it would be real fun to have a 6'6 finnish monster, but I would be VERY surprised if it happens.

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
Worst case scenario, he continues his excellence in the AHL while Shaq plays with the big club!
"The left-hander also had a contract with TPS next season, so according to NHL-IIHF rules, if he doesn’t make the San Jose Sharks this fall, he will go home."

As I said before, he reminds me of Tony Sund.
I like that MG tries to fix our weak D.

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
"The left-hander also had a contract with TPS next season, so according to NHL-IIHF rules, if he doesn’t make the San Jose Sharks this fall, he will go home."

As I said before, he reminds me of Tony Sund.
I like that MG tries to fix our weak D.
Furlong is the only remaining LHD from this years top 15 prospect list. It's on Pulli to pull himself up the ranks ;)
Edit: forgot Shaq and Okhotiuk are both LHD

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Thrun is also a LHD. Easily our deepest prospect position now.
Agreed. It's also the position with the most quantity on the NHL roster as well. Curious how Grier alleviates the log jam this summer.

Said it in another thread, but would love to see Grier spam the middle to late rounds on like 4 goalies in an approach similar to defense of "surely one of these guys has to hit". Trying to find the best underrated goalie with one dart throw is a lot harder than saying "all 4 of you can't all be bad".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad