Sharks/SAP Center going all electronic (no physical tickets, cash), eliminating concession lines

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The issue is digital access. They must have some alternative methods other than smart phone.

if not they will get sued and possibly criminally charged under discrimination and equal access.

you can get by the credit card thing by buying a $$ gift card from supermarket to use.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I am assuming that SAP Center does have a policy in place for those without smart phones. They may just not publicize it.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Can he somehow convince every arena operator that this is the best way to go? It doesn't need to be the only option, but it should be an option. I would love to be able to pre-order from my seat, pay via the app, and then go pick up the food when it is ready. I love going to games, but I hate missing part of the game to stand in line for food and drinks. Unfortunately at my local minor league team it is unavoidable. The lines during intermission take longer than the intermission, so you either have to leave your seat before the intermission, or you miss the beginning of the next period.

I could see this being a problem where people are getting in and out of their seats at random times causing disruption rather than wait for the intermission and go all at once. Nothing worse than some idiot leaving during play, or getting back to their seats as the play starts which causes everyone to stand up blocking the view.

As an aside, for the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would enter a food lineup in the intermission. You get to pay double market value for substandard food and have to miss half the period for the pleasure. I've never in my life been hungry enough where it isn't worth it to just wait until the game is over.

Last edited:

BMN

Jun 2, 2021
As an aside, for the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would enter a food lineup in the intermission. You get to pay double market value for substandard food and have to miss half the period for the pleasure. I've never in my life been hungry enough where it isn't worth it to just wait until the game is over.

Since MBS opened in Atlanta, I've discovered how much easier it can be: all fountain drinks are refillable by you (not the staff) and pizza slices are fairly cheap. Before every game, buy a pop and if I haven't been smart enough to eat before the game, grab a pizza slice. I have no need to wait a line that isn't for the bathroom once the game starts...

Re: the "order via the app" thing, I could see that actually *adding* to wait times in the beginning as users get the hang of it. But theoretically over time, it should work....

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Dallas Stars went to this last year. Overall, no biggie, although from time to time, I have had trouble remembering my password to Stars account/Ticketmaster, causing a last second panic, and a bunch of fans exposed to some of my swearing......

I think there are some exceptions where people have paper tickets, including those who buy walk up tickets, but can't really be sure, since I don't buy walk up tickets. It is easy to transfer tickets to others via phone, which is nice to have if I invite a friend or sell off the tickets.

Overall takeaway....technology, you can't stop it.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I could see this being a problem where people are getting in and out of their seats at random times causing disruption rather than wait for the intermission and go all at once. Nothing worse than some idiot leaving during play, or getting back to their seats as the play starts which causes everyone to stand up blocking the view.

I normally work until 7:00 PM on weeknights. Games start at 7:05. I'm already leaving early to be there for puck drop, so there is no way I have time to eat before the game. I'm not going to wait until after and eat after 10:00PM. Most local restaurants are closing up at that point, so I'd have to go home and make something.

Since MBS opened in Atlanta, I've discovered how much easier it can be: all fountain drinks are refillable by you (not the staff) and pizza slices are fairly cheap. Before every game, buy a pop and if I haven't been smart enough to eat before the game, grab a pizza slice. I have no need to wait a line that isn't for the bathroom once the game starts...

Re: the "order via the app" thing, I could see that actually *adding* to wait times in the beginning as users get the hang of it. But theoretically over time, it should work....
I haven't been to an arena that has it yet, but I assumed it would be sort of like the deli at the grocery store, or ordering online from Chipotle, where they have a shelf at the end of the concession stand where all the pre-orders are sitting and you just walk up and grab yours. In theory there would be no wait at all.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I normally work until 7:00 PM on weeknights. Games start at 7:05. I'm already leaving early to be there for puck drop, so there is no way I have time to eat before the game. I'm not going to wait until after and eat after 10:00PM. Most local restaurants are closing up at that point, so I'd have to go home and make something.

I just roll through a drive thu and eat on the way if time is tight. Quality of food is about the same anyways.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I just roll through a drive thu and eat on the way if time is tight. Quality of food is about the same anyways.
That's too bad. Our local arena has a few food stands that they rent out to local restaurants, so they have a small menu of decent food. (BBQ place, Cuban place, Penn State Ice Cream and sticky buns, Chinese food, etc) They also have a chef on staff that runs the kitchen for the dining area in the suite level. It is open to everyone in attendance, and they have a rotating menu so it isn't the same thing night after night. Chickie's and Pete's has a decent cheese steak, and a meatball sub, which is definitely a step above McD's or Burger King. It's not gourmet dining, but it is decent. If I could pre-order in an app and grab my order without waiting in line, I'd probably eat there for every game.

Reactions: K1984

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Hopefully they have a contingency plan in case the system ever goes down. I was at an event at Allegiant Stadium on Saturday and they couldn't process any food orders and the same thing happened to my friends at Petco Park. Luckily I had eaten beforehand, otherwise I would have been hangry beyond belief.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
That's too bad. Our local arena has a few food stands that they rent out to local restaurants, so they have a small menu of decent food. (BBQ place, Cuban place, Penn State Ice Cream and sticky buns, Chinese food, etc) They also have a chef on staff that runs the kitchen for the dining area in the suite level. It is open to everyone in attendance, and they have a rotating menu so it isn't the same thing night after night. Chickie's and Pete's has a decent cheese steak, and a meatball sub, which is definitely a step above McD's or Burger King. It's not gourmet dining, but it is decent. If I could pre-order in an app and grab my order without waiting in line, I'd probably eat there for every game.

In Edmonton the quality of food couldn't possibly be worse, and you get to pay $12 per burger for the pleasure.

You still see people lined up 15-20 people deep to get their hands on it though. Then you get them strolling back to their seats with two buckets of popcorn and nachos, except 12 minutes has been burned off the period and I just shake my head. It's a thought process that I just can't wrap my head around. How on earth are the $10 buckets of popcorn worth missing half a period that you paid $300 per ticket to watch?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Hopefully they have a contingency plan in case the system ever goes down. I was at an event at Allegiant Stadium on Saturday and they couldn't process any food orders and the same thing happened to my friends at Petco Park. Luckily I had eaten beforehand, otherwise I would have been hangry beyond belief.

WWE. Posted about that in Biz of Sports forum. Shift4Payments cashless processor has nationwide outage

I think that is definitely a wake up call to S4P and other providers to make the system more robust and less prone to outages.

Arena Food & Beverage | SAP Center

SAP Center has numerous food and beverage options (on the main concourse; additional options in restaurant, club section and catering to suites). And they're having variety of "food truck" style food changing perhaps monthly. (And they have allowed folks to bring bagged/takeout food from local restaurants.)

They have done surveys of STH and attendees to understand what folks want.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Check out this Podcast: One On One With Jonathan Becher - San Jose Sharks President https://player.fm/1BKDvtd

Includes some "coming soon" things, including new screening technology that will (eventually) allow most fans to walk through without having to empty pockets and having bag screened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad