Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XX

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

There have been Sharks prospects that wanted to finish 4 years before going pro. (Crankshaft and Little Joe come to mind, but i haven't confirmed they were a prospectthat did.)

Reactions: Sandisfan

Erep

Jul 17, 2019

There have been Sharks prospects that wanted to finish 4 years before going pro. (Crankshaft and Little Joe come to mind, but i haven't confirmed they were a prospectthat did.)

“Heard [Boston College is] trying hard to keep all three of those guys for one more season,” Scout No. 2 said, referring to the dynamite Smith-Ryan Leonard-Gabe Perreault trio. “Probably the best thing for Leonard and Perreault, but Smith can play in the NHL next year.”

This quote stands out to me from the article. Probably means BC is trying to put together an NIL package to convince him to stay, and he didn't snap say yes (like it appears Leonard did). Which to me means he is not locked into the childhood dream of playing for BC for another year, and a significant part of him is ready to be a pro. Obviously, can just be a tactic to pressure BC to work harder to get him NIL money, but will be interesting, at least.

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
“Heard [Boston College is] trying hard to keep all three of those guys for one more season,” Scout No. 2 said, referring to the dynamite Smith-Ryan Leonard-Gabe Perreault trio. “Probably the best thing for Leonard and Perreault, but Smith can play in the NHL next year.”

This quote stands out to me from the article. Probably means BC is trying to put together an NIL package to convince him to stay, and he didn't snap say yes (like it appears Leonard did). Which to me means he is not locked into the childhood dream of playing for BC for another year, and a significant part of him is ready to be a pro. Obviously, can just be a tactic to pressure BC to work harder to get him NIL money, but will be interesting, at least.
Or he is just taking time to consider his options after a grueling end to the season.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Yeah, it definitely worked for him, so not like a big deal in his case. I’m sure the Sharks org was happy to have him as he was for all that time. I’ve just long wondered if he had been granted an extra year of development to round out his offensive game as a dominant player in Jr. would he have ended up a more well-rounded player at the NHL level?

Because, let’s be reality: while he has put up some decent offensive stat lines a few years of his career, I’d attribute that more to him getting a lot of ice time with really great offensive players. Outside of his yearly one really nice snipe, I’d bet the vast majority of his points were of the “here Thornton/Marleau/Couture/Pavelski have the puck, I’ve got nothing I can do with it… oh look you’ve scored” variety. Unfortunately for Vlasic point shots directly into the oppositions shin pads do not count on the scoreboard, if they did he’d be a prolific scorer :laugh:

Of course this is all revisionist and impossible to know. It could be that even another year in junior where he can be a dominant player and spend extra time focusing on an offensive game still doesn’t translate to the NHL and he is still just the same elite defense only Vlasic.
I mean in Jr’s he had big offensive numbers but that’s Jr’s he and Braun paired up were so damn good I think collectively we’re putting up 50 pnts year and could start the breakout.

But back to the original topic it can hurt to rush them but also it can hurt them to say, be an overager putting up big numbers because they can get away with things at a lower level, it’s complicated lol

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I mean in Jr’s he had big offensive numbers but that’s Jr’s he and Braun paired up were so damn good I think collectively we’re putting up 50 pnts year and could start the breakout.

But back to the original topic it can hurt to rush them but also it can hurt them to say, be an overager putting up big numbers because they can get away with things at a lower level, it’s complicated lol
It’s complicated to us. We know next to nothing. The management, they know nearly everything about their prospects. That’s why they’re in management.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
It’s complicated to us. We know next to nothing. The management, they know nearly everything about their prospects. That’s why they’re in management.
I dunno Pee Air McGuire was in management, I’m not impressed

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

Leonard announces he is staying

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Leonard announces he is staying
Yeah, that is what I mean. If BC is pushing hard to keep them all, that means a lot of conversations are going on. (Not surprising, but this scout hearing about it means it is an open thing.)

Quick decisions tend to be emotional ones. Emotional decision for Smith is likely stay and try to win a championship at his dream school. The longer we get from the end of the season, the less weight that emotional factor plays, and the more likely it is 100% about best development path, which is still debatable, but seems NHL is more likely.

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
You're making assumptions here, which is fine since that's the point of a message board. But I would caution that there are alternative conclusions that are just as viable as the ones you're arriving at.

The Capitals made the playoffs and were pushing to get Leonard on the roster immediately for their run, so Ryan's hand was forced in terms of having to decide. There's no such pressure on Smith because the Sharks' season is over, so there's no need for a "snap decision."

I also wouldn't assume silence means indecision. Perreault hasn't said anything and it's pretty widely understood he's returning to BC. So Smith not saying anything doesn't necessarily mean he's undecided.

The responsible thing to do as a draftee of the Sharks is to talk to the front office and give the decision serious consideration. I have every reason to believe Smith and his family are responsible. But that doesn't mean he's undecided or leaning toward signing. If you ask me, there are more reasons to believe he is going to return than turn pro. But that's just my own speculation.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Halttunen 2 goals already tonight. I would love to have undervalued him.

Knights won 3-1, Halttunen named 1st star. Now up to 13 points in 9 PO games, +6. with that he is leading the Knights in PO-scoring, which is a bit surprising.

Winterhawks down 4-0 in the 3rd, Cagnoni isn’t playing (could not find an injury-update)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad