Sharks post-Olympic line up

AstroDan

Stars, cars, guitars
Jan 29, 2009
NorCal
Looking on dailyfaceoff, dated 2-25-14, they show Couture, but not Torres.
Lots of different threads in here about the different players' injuries, time of return, etc. Can folks shed light on our line-up in the 2nd "half"?

Marleau - Thornton - Burns
Couture - Pav$ - Wingels
Sheppard - Kennedy - Havlat
Burish - Desjardins - Brown

Vlasic - Boyle
Demers - Braun
Irwin - Hannan

Nemo - Stalock​

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Looking on dailyfaceoff, dated 2-25-14, they show Couture, but not Torres.
Lots of different threads in here about the different players' injuries, time of return, etc. Can folks shed light on our line-up in the 2nd "half"?

Marleau - Thornton - Burns
Couture - Pav$ - Wingels
Sheppard - Kennedy - Havlat
Burish - Desjardins - Brown

Vlasic - Boyle
Demers - Braun
Irwin - Hannan

Nemo - Stalock​

What I want:

Torres - Thornton - Burns
Marleau - Couture - Wingels
Nieto - Pavelski - Kennedy
Sheppard - Desjardins - Burish
Havlat, Brown

Vlasic - Boyle
Hannan - Demers
Stuart - Braun

Stalock
Niemi

What I expect:

Nieto - Thornton - Burns
Marleau - Couture - Havlat
Torres- Pavelski - Wingels
Brown - Desjardins - Burish
Kennedy, Nieto

Irwin - Boyle
Vlasic - Demers
Stuart - Bruan
Hannan

Niemi
Stalock

AstroDan

Stars, cars, guitars
Jan 29, 2009
NorCal
NHLdotcom is showing still Couture, Torres and Hertl as IR.
Stuart is out. I saw Lady Stanley's post about Torres, but will he start, I guess is what I'm asking.
Id like to see:
Nieto - Tinman - Burns
Torres - Pavelski - Havlat
Sheppard - Desi -Brown

Vlasic - Boyle
Demers - Braun
Irwin - Hannan​

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Torres-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Wingels
Kennedy-Pavelski-Havlat
Brown-Desi-Burish

Vlasic-Demers
Stuart-Braun
Hannan-Boyle

Nemo
Stalock

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
NHLdotcom is showing still Couture, Torres and Hertl as IR.
Stuart is out. I saw Lady Stanley's post about Torres, but will he start, I guess is what I'm asking.
Id like to see:
Nieto - Tinman - Burns
Torres - Pavelski - Havlat
Sheppard - Desi -Brown

Vlasic - Boyle
Demers - Braun
Irwin - Hannan​

Yah but you said the second half, not Thursday. If you want Thursday's lineup you are probably pretty close.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
You gotta put Pavs with Torres.

Agreed.

And I don't know how you make a lineup when we have no clue what the club is going to do to make room for him. I really don't understand all the media talk of Torres coming back and little to no talk of what moves it will take to make that happen. Unless Capgeek is completely wrong that is.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Since roster moves still have to be made it's kinda hard to figure out what they lines will look like in a week or two so I'll just take a guess on what they'll look like for the next two games assuming that Stuart is not going to be put on LTIR.

Nieto-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Wingels
Kennedy-Pavelski-Havlat
Burish-Desi-Brown
Sheppard

Vlasic-Braun
Irwin-Boyle
Hannan-Demers
Tennyson
(It's possible Hannan & Vlasic swap spots)

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
One has to think that DW acquired Kennedy specifically to form a Torres-Pavelski-Kennedy line.

I'd love to drop Burns back to D, stick Wingels on the top line, keep Nieto on the second, and call it a day...

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
One has to think that DW acquired Kennedy specifically to form a Torres-Pavelski-Kennedy line.

I'd love to drop Burns back to D, stick Wingels on the top line, keep Nieto on the second, and call it a day...

Okay, then who's the top-line LW (assuming Hertl's done for the year)? Who's the odd-man out on the right-side D?

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Okay, then who's the top-line LW (assuming Hertl's done for the year)? Who's the odd-man out on the right-side D?

Braun can play on the left side fine. It's Demers who couldn't.

If you moved Burns back (just for sake of argument) I'd do this:

Hertl - Thornton - Wingels
Torres - Pavelski - Kennedy
Sheppard - Desjardins - Brown

Braun - Burns
Vlasic - Demers
Hannan - Boyle

Try to get rid of Stuart anywhere for anything.

Then I'd be looking to get a top-6 rental to push everyone down a slot. Vanek, Cammalari, St. Louis, etc. Might cost us Nieto though, but the market for top-6 rentals is a bit better than top-4 LHD PMD.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com

Then I'd be looking to get a top-6 rental to push everyone down a slot. Vanek, Cammalari, St. Louis, etc. Might cost us Nieto though, but the market for top-6 rentals is a bit better than top-4 LHD PMD.

Highly doubt we're going to be pushing for too much during the trade deadline. Probably a Top 9 winger and that's about it. I think management likes the healthy lineup and we have an alright D. We haven't even had to use a true AHLer on defense yet.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Highly doubt we're going to be pushing for too much during the trade deadline. Probably a Top 9 winger and that's about it. I think management likes the healthy lineup and we have an alright D. We haven't even had to use a true AHLer on defense yet.

Because we don't have any. Tennysson has been terrible this season. Stuart and Irwin have been atrocious unexpectedly as well. We have a good defense because of Vlasic, Braun and Demers. Those 3 are propping up the entire group and that isn't going to work in the playoffs, especially with Niemi playing poorly.

If the Sharks can create any cap space they need to spend every penny of it on defense. Defense wins championships, its as true today as ever. Look at previous cup champs and their defensive groups:

Chicago - Top3
LA - Top3
Boston - Top3
Pittsburgh - Top3
Detroit - Top3
Anaheim - Top3

Etc. You simply don't win a cup without a top-3 defensive group, and the Sharks are close, but they don't quite have that.

AstroDan

Stars, cars, guitars
Jan 29, 2009
NorCal

If you moved Burns back (just for sake of argument) I'd do this:

Hertl - Thornton - Wingels
Torres - Pavelski - Kennedy
Sheppard - Desjardins - Brown

Braun - Burns
Vlasic - Demers
Hannan - Boyle

Try to get rid of Stuart anywhere for anything.

I like the 3rd line and the D pairings, but Hertl's gone for the year and UGH on Havlat w/ Couture...although Marty did look better right before the break. Maybe put Nieto in Hertl's spot on Jumbos wing?

This 1st game back should be interesting. Who'll come out fresher/better SJ or Philly? Should be SJ.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Based on what we ended up with going into the break + what they practiced with during the break + guys coming off injury, this is what I think we'll see in PHI/BUF:

Nieto-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Wingels
Torres(Havlat if Torres isn't ready)-Pavelski-Kennedy
Brown-Desjardins-Burish

Yes, I too would prefer Sheppard in the lineup. But the coaches and even DW seem enamoured with that 4th line. There was even an article/quotes where he talked about it :shakehead

At the end of the year/entering the playoffs would like to see:

Hertl-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Torres/Wingels
Nieto-Pavelski-Wingels/Torres
Sheppard-Desjardins-Kennedy/Burish

Won't bother with the D because I think we all know what it's going to look like ideally in the coaches minds (Vlasic-Braun, Irwin/Boyle, Hannan/Stuart-Demers) and what it will look like when the **** hits the fan in the middle of the games inevitable and TMac has to fix it (Vlasic-Demers Stuart-Braun, Hannan/Irwin-Boyle) or some other disaster. I also think the D is where we might see a trade deadline effect if there is any.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I like the 3rd line and the D pairings, but Hertl's gone for the year and UGH on Havlat w/ Couture...although Marty did look better right before the break. Maybe put Nieto in Hertl's spot on Jumbos wing?

This 1st game back should be interesting. Who'll come out fresher/better SJ or Philly? Should be SJ.

I've heard nothing that says Hertl is done for the year. That was my 'everyones healthy for the playoffs' (which is how you should be planning when you trade if everyone is expected back by then) roster.

jackadams iii*

I've heard nothing that says Hertl is done for the year. That was my 'everyones healthy for the playoffs' (which is how you should be planning when you trade if everyone is expected back by then) roster.

If they haven't started saying 7 to 10 days by now then the writing is pretty much on the wall.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If they haven't started saying 7 to 10 days by now then the writing is pretty much on the wall.

This is simply not true. You can look back to Torrey Mitchell's long injury layoff as a reference point for that. SJ doesn't say much of anything regarding timetables.

Arrch

Apr 11, 2011

No, I think he acquired Kennedy to play with Jumbo. Galiardi/Thornton/Burns put up great possession numbers, but couldn't score. They got rid of Galiardi, a mid-to-low volume shooting lefty, for Kennedy, a high volume shooting righty. The #2/#3 RW spots were initially intended for Havlat/Wingels. Hertl was lightning in a bottle and DW/TM realized that the #1LW spot should be filled with a garbage goal scorer (Hence Hertl & Pavelski excelling the most in that spot).

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
No, I think he acquired Kennedy to play with Jumbo. Galiardi/Thornton/Burns put up great possession numbers, but couldn't score. They got rid of Galiardi, a mid-to-low volume shooting lefty, for Kennedy, a high volume shooting righty. The #2/#3 RW spots were initially intended for Havlat/Wingels. Hertl was lightning in a bottle and DW/TM realized that the #1LW spot should be filled with a garbage goal scorer (Hence Hertl & Pavelski excelling the most in that spot).

That and originally the idea was the third line to be Hertl-Pavelski-Havlat by DW's words.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

Yep. I said the same thing when they traded for him and again a couple of days ago.

I'm pretty sure they were looking (hoping) for a 3rd line that resembled the Cooke-Staal-Kennedy line that was outstanding for Pittsburgh for a few years.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio

They said he could be skating this week. That gives him 6 weeks of skating etc. until the end of the season (actually 6 1/2 to be exact) is over and 7 until the playoffs start... that's plenty of time. Let's stop the doom and gloom until something changes. He is still in the realm of what was expected for a end of the year return based on what was discussed way back when he had the surgery... not sure why people are getting crazy about this again all of a sudden.

Arrch

Apr 11, 2011
That and originally the idea was the third line to be Hertl-Pavelski-Havlat by DW's words.

I don't see how that would work with the cap. Disregarding Brown (since he was traded for after the season started), and assuming a fully healthy roster, we have 12 forwards who aren't wavier exempt, and only have 500K in cap space. There is no way to have Hertl and/or Nieto in the lineup without someone on LTIR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad