Speculation: Sharks looking to move Niemi (and other goaltending talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland 1h
More and more talk of #sjsharks looking to move Antti Niemi

This is the second time I've seen this mentioned by multiple sources recently. Not just that they're open to the idea... but they are actively shopping/looking to move or replace him.

Very interesting. I'd be ok with moving him so long as we get a good return for him. Otherwise I don't quite see the point. He's on a cheap contract for what he provides and there isn't an obvious replacement for less.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
This is the second time I've seen this mentioned by multiple sources recently. Not just that they're open to the idea... but they are actively shopping/looking to move or replace him.

Very interesting. I'd be ok with moving him so long as we get a good return for him. Otherwise I don't quite see the point. He's on a cheap contract for what he provides and there isn't an obvious replacement for less.

Bet he gets a better return than people expect on this board. He had a down year last year but the season before that was almost Vezina quality.

Hertl

Fun Must Be Sometimes
Nov 15, 2010
Are any of the current woosta goalies ready for the backup position? I'm perfectly fine with Stalock as the starter regardless of whether the Sharks are contending or rebuilding.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Word is James Reimer has requested a trade. Not surprising considering how that market and that team treat their goalies. His value is already down and the trade request certainly doesn't help Toronto. Not to mention Toronto's decision makers are morons. Buy low on Reimer and have him and Stalock split starts.

boylerroom

Jan 2, 2012
PRofKA
Honesty I think it's addition by subtraction. Neemo is awful in the POs. I'd take a 3rd rounder and run for the hills.

I'd offer him straight up for Reimer.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Word is James Reimer has requested a trade. Not surprising considering how that market and that team treat their goalies. His value is already down and the trade request certainly doesn't help Toronto. Not to mention Toronto's decision makers are morons. Buy low on Reimer and have him and Stalock split starts.

Reimer + Gardiner for Niemi. I'll even throw in Burish to make it fair.:sarcasm:

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
I thought Niemi might be moved at the draft for an early 2nd (31-40). If Wilson is shopping him now, that must mean he's looking for a roster player instead. Curious to see what we can get for him.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Doug Wilson is trying to spend as little as possible this upcoming year.

I hope he is shopping Burish/Stuart. We could've gotten a 7th for Burish - would've drafted another Pavelski.

5H4RK5

May 3, 2007
If they move Niemi obviously we are looking to upgrade so maybe Carey Price or Lundy to SJ. :laugh:

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Niemi was probably the most obvious out the door. Niemi's next contract is likely his last chance at a big payday, by NHL standards.

Goalies who a team expects will start in 60 games or more are the ones that get big contracts. If the Sharks are interested in seeing what Stalock can do they probably should commit to starting him for at least thirty games. Doing this would cast some doubt as to whether or not Niemi is a 60 game guy anymore.

My guess is Niemi asked for a trade.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Or

Byfuglien-Thornton-Burns

That's a too much man penalty, for sure

If we got Byfuglien and Ehrhoff somehow. We could just park Buff and Burns in front of a goalie and just have Thornton constantly passing to Error to shoot. How the **** is any goalie gonna see anything with those two guys screening?

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
I'm happy to let Nemo go, hope we get something for him. We a pretty good defensive team and Stalock or another starter can do just as good as Nemo for sure.

I'm not ready to give Stalock the starting job and 60+ starts and for sure the other prospects with the W Sharks are not ready yet. We need a NHL starter/back up that has been successful at it, can start 40-60 games as needed, must be a team player, and we need him for 1 or 2 years. By then we'll know if Stalock is the starter or not.

There are plenty of goalies that meet this criteria as NHL starter / fringe tenders... Hiller, Brodeur, Thomas, Montoya, Nabby, Johnson, etc.

The 1st three have cups!

My favorite is Brodeur, Robinson knows him, he can help Stalock tune his puck handling skills.. he'd be ok starting 40 games, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad