LeBrun: Sharks & Karlsson ''on same page'' to try and get a trade done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Agree. But whats the cost to move Petry? My guess is something substantial like a 1st. Two more years left on that contract, and if his NMC leaves teams with little to no cap space (80% of the league). Teams with the cap space? Ducks, Sharks, Coyotes, Chicago, Nashville, Buffalo, Detroit (leaving out a few with just enough room but a major signing required like Seattle/Dunn). All non playoff team that could easily be on his NT list. Detroit I suspect would not be on the list, but Raymond and Seider due for new contracts next year they are likely not interested.
A 1st to move Petry? Don't think so. Petry is a reliable top-4 RD that eats mins. Maybe Pens eat 1.25mil and ship him to Nashville for a bag of pucks. If SJ takes Granlund in the deal that's still 10 mil cleared for the Pens.

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
I don't think any Penguins fan I've seen in here is thinking that Karlsson won't bring back substantial value. I think pretty much every Penguins fan is happy with paying at least Ty Smith, a B prospect and a 2024 1st for him. It may not be enough for what Sharks fans want, but I think any Penguins fan that wants Karlsson is willing to pay that price for Karlsson.

The arguments come into play when you start adding another 1st or adding a guy like Pickering. I would go as high as Pickering, a lottery protected 2024 1st and a conditional 2025 1st based on team success in terms of futures value for Karlsson, as long as that includes cap going out from the Penguins and Karlsson coming in at $8.5 million or less. I'd personally want him to be coming in at $7.5 million with that much going out, but I could stomach $8.5 million instead.

There aren't any Penguins fans who think Karlsson for a 4th liner and a 2nd is realistic.
You're at the tail end of a dynasty. Sid, Geno, and Letang have earned it.

You're gonna be terrible for a decade when they retire anyways. Give them the send off they deserve.

Karlsson wouldn't be the guy I'd go after. I think your team is worse just by dressing him and giving him minutes. But he's the big fish available right now so it is what it is.

But I like the idea of selling the farm to give these guys every opportunity for another run.

They earned it. There will be plenty of time to stockpile and rebuild later.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
If Karlsson is so insistent on playing for a contender, why are the Pens even involved in this talk?

Crosby and all the other Cup winning veterans on the team . Yes the team is very old at this point but they still have some big names. Still unlikely to win as the oldest team ( 2nd years in a row ) in the league but look at these names that can woo alot of people.

If Karlsson is wooed into joining the oldest team in league ( only team that has an average age over 30 ) thats on him though.

Last edited:

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
I hope you're not suggesting the Sharks take a bad deal on Karlsson in order to pick up middling picks for cap dumps
No, I'm suggesting that when the Sharks don't get the exorbitant haul that some Sharks fans think will be occurring, they can content themselves with the fact that they will be able to subsequently gain assets with the cap space that Karlsson is no longer occupying.
Also, it's not a given that the picks would be middling. The Canadiens got a 1st for taking on one year of Sean Monahan.
Agree. But whats the cost to move Petry?
Petry is a 6'3" RD who weighs 209 lbs. and scored at a half PPG pace last season. He, like any other such defenseman, has positive value. It's possible that the Penguins would have to accept future considerations, but that's the worst-case scenario.
My guess is something substantial like a 1st. Two more years left on that contract, and if his NMC leaves teams with little to no cap space (80% of the league). Teams with the cap space? Ducks, Sharks, Coyotes, Chicago, Nashville, Buffalo, Detroit (leaving out a few with just enough room but a major signing required like Seattle/Dunn). All non playoff team that could easily be on his NT list. Detroit I suspect would not be on the list, but Raymond and Seider due for new contracts next year they are likely not interested.
This part doesn't matter, because Petry would be an upgrade in the Top 4 on, at a minimum, 20 teams in the league. Those teams might need to move salary out to accommodate Petry, and this could decrease the return the Penguins get, but Petry's NTC is merely a nuisance and not a dealbreaker.

And if you or anyone else reads this and thinks 'If Petry is so valuable, why haven't the Penguins traded him?', it's because there's no reason to trade him without a Karlsson trade in place. Karlsson is an upgrade on him, but most other available defensemen are not.
The payment is not right for the term.

If he got him for 5.375M X 2, you can justify the average because Jarry gave up job security for a high-end starter salary AAV, despite always being injured

Instead, he got max-term for a non-franchise goalie and top dollar - making it an overpayment
Neither of those things occurred. 5 X 5.375 is the market value for an above-average but not elite goalie, such as Jarry. It is neither max term nor top dollar.
There are several reasons that the Penguins should've moved on from Jarry, but the contract that he earned is not one of them.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
No, I'm suggesting that when the Sharks don't get the exorbitant haul that some Sharks fans think will be occurring, they can content themselves with the fact that they will be able to subsequently gain assets with the cap space that Karlsson is no longer occupying.
Also, it's not a given that the picks would be middling. The Canadiens got a 1st for taking on one year of Sean Monahan.

Petry is a 6'3" RD who weighs 209 lbs. and scored at a half PPG pace last season. He, like any other such defenseman, has positive value. It's possible that the Penguins would have to accept future considerations, but that's the worst-case scenario.

This part doesn't matter, because Petry would be an upgrade in the Top 4 on, at a minimum, 20 teams in the league. Those teams might need to move salary out to accommodate Petry, and this could decrease the return the Penguins get, but Petry's NTC is merely a nuisance and not a dealbreaker.

And if you or anyone else reads this and thinks 'If Petry is so valuable, why haven't the Penguins traded him?', it's because there's no reason to trade him without a Karlsson trade in place. Karlsson is an upgrade on him, but most other available defensemen are not.

Neither of those things occurred. 5 X 5.375 is the market value for an above-average but not elite goalie, such as Jarry. It is neither max term nor top dollar.
There are several reasons that the Penguins should've moved on from Jarry, but the contract that he earned is not one of them.
Okay and thanks

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Again, incorrect. The Sharks are perfectly content to keep his contract if nothing works out; they won't be needing that space by the time it ends. This is more about doing EK a favor and giving the Sharks better lottery odds.
If they’re rebuilding it makes plenty more sense to trade him. More is better than less and less is better than nothing

I would assume the owner wants to not pay his contract as well, I assume a big part of why they’re trying to not retain too much. I mean if they’re perfectly content to hold his whole contract then why wouldn’t they trade him with big retention for a bigger return? As you say the cap space shouldn’t matter.

They’re taking a risk of he doesn’t quite repeat his past season or even worse gets injured it may become impossible to trade him. It’s a bit of a gamble tho, if he does stay healthy and maintain roughly the same production then taking a year off his term could help, but to why extent idk. He’d still be getting older and it’s the later years of the contract teams are worried about.

I agree 100% they’re not going to compete in 4 years and IF the owner didn’t care then retain plenty.

Edit: didn’t realize the thread had jumped like 10 new pages since I walked away from my tab lol

Last edited:

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
1. I’ve played in the MLB for 3 teams for 5 years and another 6 minor league teams for 4 years. MLB and NHL are surprisingly similar as they are the two professional leagues that rely highly upon minor professional leagues where the players can be grossly underpaid.

2. NHL wise my cousin Cody Franson played NHL for Nashville Toronto Buffalo with one short stint in Chicago and then was a castaway blackisted to KHL or European leagues.

3. I had my own agent who did next to F all for me besides raking 11.5% of my professional salary and 15% of my signing bonus.

This is why I am telling all of you.

Winning a Stanley cup is literally something these players are not even thinking about.

The fans thinks of it.

The owners think of it.

The players numerous uno is job security and job tenure combined with your salary.

When you’re first coming up you’re heavily expected to make life work based upon signing bonus money.

Minor pro sports aka “bus leagues” are really impossibly difficult to bare. This is why you see the AHL schedule being quite a mess.

I also feel this is why many many middle6 and specifically 4th line players they’d be joyed to take a 4year or even 6year deal at just $1.5 to $2.25m.

The next thing we all think about is the players association pension plan. For the majority of players they won’t earn a lot outside of pro sports life.

This is why I’m a big proponent of NCAA as you can get at least 2-3 years or your full education completed and not be screwd if pro sports fail which for 96% of NCAA D1 kids they simply won’t make it.

If as players we have the luxury to choose where we want to play we absolutely do.

I think you all think UFA players regardless of the sport have a dozen or more options to choose from a contract.

Reality is half the time your agent will approach teams telling the executive management you are interested in playing for them to see if they would have interest.

One such example was Johnny Gaudreau. Player approached the team not the other way around which is why the reduced salary. The player took less money to call where he wanted to play.

Unfortunately usually only top tier pros get to decide such things.

Last on the list.

You want to win and hoist a championship. Quite honestly this has more to do with just happening to be in the right team at the right time.

Winning is an absolute privilege and you must always place your team first.

There are not just dozens but hundreds of office personnel and trainers that work with you that you must treat with absolute respect.

Now again this is why I also politely have said Indont think Brad Treliving is as ever a good fit as an NHL executive.

He Blurred being a no talent hockey player in the ECHL with believing this made him understand hockey.

Fact is his daddy’s success let him take risks to get where he is.

I look at his moves with the flames and I have to question why so many people say he’s a good GM.

I case none are aware he’s also interested in acquiring EK for the Leafs.

He won’t take risk on picks or give up what’s. needed to get the player they want.

Any GM who accepts BPA is a tool.
A lot of this is correct, I haven’t said anything different, with the exception of wanting to win. You are right, for most guys, getting to financial stability is number 1. However, in this case EK has all the security he needs…. He’s an ultra competitive guy, so now a championship is what’s on his mind. He gets his 11.5 million regardless of where he is.

Guys like us…. Yeah, just being in the show and signing a deal that would give you long term security is what you want….. you don’t care where. Super Stars who have that security already think differently.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

As an outsider with no dog in this fight you're going to be disappointed in just about every way. Petry isn't that valuable the Jarry contract is a true head scratcher and not very good he's too inconsistent and injury prone. Then you also go onto say that Karlsson won't return much. Alot of words here that simply boil down to you trying to not only convince others but it seems like yourself the Penguins are in a situation that they really aren't.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think you missed the point of the post.

The Penguins hired and promoted the GM of the Leafs who constantly failed and gave him one of the highest salaries in the NHL.

The Penguins then hired the special assistant to the Leafs GM and promoted him to their assistant GM.

Obviously, they value the team the Leafs built?

It's not hard to see where that came from.

Let me know if you got lost at some point. I tried to simplify it as much as possible.

GM who failed with the Leafs = New President of Hockey Ops for the Pens
Special assistant to GM who failed with the Leafs = New Pens Assistant GM

How can you argue they do not want to become the Leafs? They're hiring people who failed with the Leafs and never had NHL success in their lives.

Obviously the first round exits must seem enticing to a non-playoff team.
You are very confused. By hiring someone doesn't mean they want to become them. It means they see potential to grow and a person that can learn from their mistakes and evolve. The leafs have 1 playoff win I'm 20 years man. I think it's crazy to hire Dubas personally as the way he has built the leafs is inherently flawed. The contracts he willingly gave Matthews and Marner make no sense and have them over a barrel. But to assume based on the hire they want to be what has been the worst franchise in the NHL post expansion is an insane conclusion to come to while avoiding all context.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
As an outsider with no dog in this fight you're going to be disappointed in just about every way. Petry isn't that valuable
How valuable is "not that valuable"?
If you're suggesting that Petry isn't valuable enough to return an asset of some kind, you're incorrect.
the Jarry contract is a true head scratcher and not very good he's too inconsistent and injury prone.
Jack Campbell, a goalie not as good as Jarry, got a 5x$5M contract last offseason.
Joonas Korpisalo, a goalie not as good as Jarry, for a 5x$4M contract this offseason.
Jarry got market value for a goalie of his caliber.
You're welcome to disagree with all of those deals and say that the market is stupid or whatever, but nonetheless, the market is the market.
Then you also go onto say that Karlsson won't return much.
I didn't say Karlsson wouldn't return much. I said the return wouldn't match the exorbitant suggestions being thrown around here.
I saw the ridiculous suggestion that he would return two 1st and a high-end prospect. That's ludicrous.
Half of that is still 'much'. A 1st and a decent prospect.
Alot of words here that simply boil down to you trying to not only convince others but it seems like yourself the Penguins are in a situation that they really aren't.
Nope. Not only did I state my case, but I actually provided reasoning for it.
Petry is 6'3", a RD, and scored at a half a point per game rate last season. All of those things have value on the trade market.
You, on the other hand, have simply given a lot of words, because it's apparently fun for people to underrate Penguins players not named Crosby or Malkin.
Jarry is too inconsistent and injury prone? Compared to who, exactly?

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
It’s not about long term living… it’s about going where he thinks he can win.
If that really is the case, then I'm still confused as why the Pens are "his 1st choice" (which I don't believe for a minute). In fact, I think if Pittsburgh is offering some of the deals as presented in this thread, this deal would have been done long ago. Perhaps, EK isn't enamored of going to a bubble team.
Once the season starts more teams will be able to trade for Karlsson.
That's just not true. The opposite is.
You are correct. Waddell already said that he was just looking to get EK on the cheap.
Waddell never said any such thing. There is speculation by various media outlets that is the case (and it would be typical of Carolina's MO). The hold up for Carolina is that they have other salary to move (which should be pretty easy to do given the talent). What they likely won't do, is put themselves in a position of being over the cap prior to making an EK trade.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
1. I’ve played in the MLB for 3 teams for 5 years and another 6 minor league teams for 4 years. MLB and NHL are surprisingly similar as they are the two professional leagues that rely highly upon minor professional leagues where the players can be grossly underpaid.

2. NHL wise my cousin Cody Franson played NHL for Nashville Toronto Buffalo with one short stint in Chicago and then was a castaway blackisted to KHL or European leagues.

3. I had my own agent who did next to F all for me besides raking 11.5% of my professional salary and 15% of my signing bonus.

This is why I am telling all of you.

Winning a Stanley cup is literally something these players are not even thinking about.

The fans thinks of it.

The owners think of it.

The players numerous uno is job security and job tenure combined with your salary.

When you’re first coming up you’re heavily expected to make life work based upon signing bonus money.

Minor pro sports aka “bus leagues” are really impossibly difficult to bare. This is why you see the AHL schedule being quite a mess.

I also feel this is why many many middle6 and specifically 4th line players they’d be joyed to take a 4year or even 6year deal at just $1.5 to $2.25m.

The next thing we all think about is the players association pension plan. For the majority of players they won’t earn a lot outside of pro sports life.

This is why I’m a big proponent of NCAA as you can get at least 2-3 years or your full education completed and not be screwd if pro sports fail which for 96% of NCAA D1 kids they simply won’t make it.

If as players we have the luxury to choose where we want to play we absolutely do.

I think you all think UFA players regardless of the sport have a dozen or more options to choose from a contract.

Reality is half the time your agent will approach teams telling the executive management you are interested in playing for them to see if they would have interest.

One such example was Johnny Gaudreau. Player approached the team not the other way around which is why the reduced salary. The player took less money to call where he wanted to play.

Unfortunately usually only top tier pros get to decide such things.

Last on the list.

You want to win and hoist a championship. Quite honestly this has more to do with just happening to be in the right team at the right time.

Winning is an absolute privilege and you must always place your team first.

There are not just dozens but hundreds of office personnel and trainers that work with you that you must treat with absolute respect.

Now again this is why I also politely have said Indont think Brad Treliving is as ever a good fit as an NHL executive.

He Blurred being a no talent hockey player in the ECHL with believing this made him understand hockey.

Fact is his daddy’s success let him take risks to get where he is.

I look at his moves with the flames and I have to question why so many people say he’s a good GM.

I case none are aware he’s also interested in acquiring EK for the Leafs.

He won’t take risk on picks or give up what’s. needed to get the player they want.

Any GM who accepts BPA is a tool.

Great post. Man, agents really take their pound of flesh, don't they?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So what’s the hold up on moving EK? Teams wanting more retention than the Sharks willing to do? Only one team interested do no real compete for him?

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

Yes Petry would, but half those 20 teams are already above the cap or just about there. The other 10 teams are rebuilding and have limited use for a soon to be 36 year old for 2 more years at 6.25M. And 15 teams are a no go due to Petrys NMC. There just may not be a single team that meets all those criteria.

This is the tightest cap era ever. Improving a team is simply not enough to move the needle anymore. And 6.25M for a second pairing D is pretty expensive. Its just a very hard move that is likely to cost assets.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
So what’s the hold up on moving EK? Teams wanting more retention than the Sharks willing to do? Only one team interested do no real compete for him?
20 teams are at or above the cap. Whats left is rebuilding teams.

The sharks have been very adamant of 18% retention, but I'd say if the price is right they may go 30.

Thus any team wanting Karlsson will have to find a way to shed ~9M, or pay a price for more retention. And the retention in this case would be 4 years at a substantial hit .....

It will take immense juggling to get this done, and likely involve several teams. Hence the holdup.

Reactions: Fatass

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Just because one goalie contract is horrible ie Campbell doesn't make this one good. That's not how it works.
That is how markets work.
Korpisalo makes substantially less and has similar question marks. It's not great but it's not nearly as bad.
$1.375M less is not substantially less.
And while I agree that Korpisalo does have similar question marks with regard to inconsistency and injury issues, peak Korpisalo has not been as good as peak Jarry.
So you're saying a 5x$4M contract for Jarry would be a-okay, in your eyes?
Jarry is injury prone and inconsistent because he actually is. Yeah he's great when he is on but if you're paying attention at all you can see the history. He has massive issues with both.
Again, compared to who?
It's all wishful thinking and rose colored glasses your response says it all. You're talking out of both sides of your mouth when you say Karlsson return will be poor
Literally never said that. I said he'd return a 1st and a decent prospect. That's not a poor return.
then saying Petry has all this value.
Literally never said this either. I said he'd return an asset. That's it.
He I'd tradeable I agree but let's be more balanced in our evaluations.
Saying that Petry would return an asset is being balanced in evaluating him. I'm not even saying it would be a particularly good one.
What exactly do you consider 'being tradeable' to be? Moving a 1st with him as a cap dump?
Yes Petry would, but half those 20 teams are already above the cap or just about there.
And they can make space for him.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I have 2 questions: When is Karlsson being traded? And where is he going?

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
If that really is the case, then I'm still confused as why the Pens are "his 1st choice" (which I don't believe for a minute). In fact, I think if Pittsburgh is offering some of the deals as presented in this thread, this deal would have been done long ago. Perhaps, EK isn't enamored of going to a bubble team.

That's just not true. The opposite is.

Waddell never said any such thing. There is speculation by various media outlets that is the case (and it would be typical of Carolina's MO). The hold up for Carolina is that they have other salary to move (which should be pretty easy to do given the talent). What they likely won't do, is put themselves in a position of being over the cap prior to making an EK trade.
From my understanding, it’s first choice of the teams that are interested.
It’s still a team with Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Guentzel, and honestly even Jarry. I know his injury history is what gives us pause… but he’s been an all star twice in his NHL career so far….. that’s not bad.

Who knows though?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
If they’re rebuilding it makes plenty more sense to trade him. More is better than less and less is better than nothing
Sure, but in order to have a good rebuild they need a good return if they are moving a good/valuable asset like Karlsson. If they get a poor return, it will negatively impact the rebuild. There are 2 sides to every coin.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I would assume the owner wants to not pay his contract as well, I assume a big part of why they’re trying to not retain too much. I mean if they’re perfectly content to hold his whole contract then why wouldn’t they trade him with big retention for a bigger return? As you say the cap space shouldn’t matter.

They’re taking a risk of he doesn’t quite repeat his past season or even worse gets injured it may become impossible to trade him. It’s a bit of a gamble tho, if he does stay healthy and maintain roughly the same production then taking a year off his term could help, but to why extent idk. He’d still be getting older and it’s the later years of the contract teams are worried about.

I agree 100% they’re not going to compete in 4 years and IF the owner didn’t care then retain plenty.

Edit: didn’t realize the thread had jumped like 10 new pages since I walked away from my tab lol
Nothing is almost guaranteed to not happen. They may eat another year of his contract to allow for the rising cap to start to take hold that would increase options and limit dead money but nothing for Karlsson is probably never going to happen. Even if Karlsson reverts back to his normal 0.8 points per game or so, he's still going to have trade value depending on the retention amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad