Pre-Game Talk: Sharks in the SENS Den, Friday 7:30 pm on TSN

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The more I watch this team play the more I realize how much Boucher’s system is the main determinant in their abysmal performance this season.
This guy should never be allowed to coach an NHL team. What a sad, soul crushing, entertainment free excuse for a hockey system.

The horses were set free in the 3rd period last night if only for a period. It will be back to his dog**** approach tonight though.
The 1-3-1 has it's place and Boucher has always utilized more than just that, the issue to me is he relies on it too much.

Reactions: Cosmix and NyQuil

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
The 1-3-1 has it's place and Boucher has always utilized more than just that, the issue to me is he relies on it too much.
It doesn't have "it's place" as the central system in a team's approach. If he has other systems, I don't see it implemented during the majority of the games. The issue of him relying on it too much is, unfortunately, a fatal flaw in his coaching philosophy and has now cemented his reputation as a coach that plays a system that players don't want to play (the majority of the time) and most fans consider "boring".

Reactions: Cosmix

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
If we always play like we did in the 3rd, we're comfortably in the playoffs. Alas...

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I get the feeling this is the start of a winning streak, I'm calling it right now, we will not be seeing the Rob Schneider Waterboy Meme in the next Post game thread.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Honestly, if we could play like we did in the 3rd, with the reigns being let loose, I'd be more than happy to play out the season with all intentions of making the playoffs (knowing we won't).

The new lottery system broke tanking, I don't see the lustre of bottoming out to get 4th overall.

We SHOULD trade our disposable assets in Thompson/Oduya/Smith/Pyatt/Burrows. Get whatever picks we can, a few mid rounders. Doesn't matter. It opens up roster spots for our young ELC players, and gets some money out.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
what do EK's historical seasons have to do with this season?

he and Anderson/Condon are our two biggest issues this year regardless of how many norris trophies he has. It's injury related rather than decline so hopefully he rebounds.

I just hope we haven't seen the last of world dominating EK65, fake tendons or what not. I feel that we haven't seen his best yet and I pray it's with the Sens.

Desperate times.

Reactions: pepty

Arkantoss

Mar 2, 2016
this 3 points in 2 games isn’t helping the tank.

Let’s get back to our losing ways tonight. Come on guys, no more funny business. Unless you’re making the playoffs, just lose

Meh I'd rather see us win. We traded a lot for Duchene and should at least try to take that wild card spot regardless of that 1st rounder.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Jeez did that ceci phaneuf pairing look as bad as it did in the highlights? I know people say “the goal wasn’t there fault” but goodness gracious there’s so much time before the goal goes in that neither of them do ANYTHINg

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Honestly, if we could play like we did in the 3rd, with the reigns being let loose, I'd be more than happy to play out the season with all intentions of making the playoffs (knowing we won't).

The new lottery system broke tanking, I don't see the lustre of bottoming out to get 4th overall.

We SHOULD trade our disposable assets in Thompson/Oduya/Smith/Pyatt/Burrows. Get whatever picks we can, a few mid rounders. Doesn't matter. It opens up roster spots for our young ELC players, and gets some money out.

My thoughts exactly. Tanking is terrible, it's bad for us as fans and even worse for the players. The draft order is a game of chance anymore, and going forward it would be much more valuable to the players to be committed to winning vs a tank year.

Banking on a 18% chance to get 1st overall finishing last is crazy. Considering there's about a 8% chance of finishing last and drafting from 10-14. The only time tanking is acceptable is during transition years in which a potential 'generational talent' is available. That's worth the slight advantage.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
This was the frustrating thing about Karlsson not wining the Norris last year. The year before Karlsson put up an insane stat line with mediocre to bad defense but they favoured Doughty's defensive game with mediocre offensive numbers. Karlsson puts up an insane defensive season along with numbers that aren't far off Burns' but Burns still wasn't great defensively and Karlsson loses. The logic for him losing didn't apply the following season to Burns. Extreme bias or just terrible voters IMO. Karlsson should have 4 Norris trophies even without his injured Achilles season in which he would have easily won. He's our problem though right guys?
Doughty's Norris was a straight-up lifetime achievement award, given in the belief that Karlsson would win again, and Drew would never again be even a plausible candidate. Karlsson's defensive numbers were actually better than his, and of course his offence was off the chart. We can only hope we'll see that Karlsson again.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
This was the frustrating thing about Karlsson not wining the Norris last year. The year before Karlsson put up an insane stat line with mediocre to bad defense but they favoured Doughty's defensive game with mediocre offensive numbers. Karlsson puts up an insane defensive season along with numbers that aren't far off Burns' but Burns still wasn't great defensively and Karlsson loses. The logic for him losing didn't apply the following season to Burns. Extreme bias or just terrible voters IMO. Karlsson should have 4 Norris trophies even without his injured Achilles season in which he would have easily won. He's our problem though right guys?

Karl's defense wasn't even bad that season. He was obviously better last season but in 15-16 the neutral zone D was non-existent and there was hardly ever any support from the forwards.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
True,.. but that's about what happens after they win it.. they are not a good possession team although it is a key part of being a good possession team. We have to be able to celebrate the little things at this point.

I agree. This team does not have the big skilled players who can maintain puck possession in the Ozone and get puck possession in the Dzone. The team has a few speedy forwards with offensive skill (Duchene, Hoffman, Dzingle, Brassard) but needs more of them. The black holes for offence (Dumont, Thompson, Burrows, Pyatt) should be replaced with swifter skilled forwards.

Last edited:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Why do people get upset at pro tank fans? I mean it's not like fans that are pushing for a tank are controlling how a player plays.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Absolutely what should be done... Should try different players up here ... like White, Perron, Gagne, Jaros and of course Chlapik and Paul .. and play them to give them a chance and see where they are. I don't think the guys on the farm are that far off the the players we can take out including Dumont in the out list..

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Isn't that one of the worst things that can happen now?
I get where your coming, this team needs a high pick, but at the same time we want the players on our roster to do well. If we win a bunch of games that means our players are good and our assets are worth more. If we keep losing that means our players suck and it hurts their trade value. Also, giving Colorado a 12th overall pick this year might be better than giving them an unprotected pick next year.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Jeez did that ceci phaneuf pairing look as bad as it did in the highlights? I know people say “the goal wasn’t there fault” but goodness gracious there’s so much time before the goal goes in that neither of them do ANYTHINg
They are abysmal at best at times
And no I wont provide any chart or example or pages of stats
You just have to open your eyes when they play its pretty obvious

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I've posted before how I dislike seeing our top 2 centres score in the last minute of a game when it makes no difference because the game is too far out of hand.

I was glad to see certain guys score important goals when there was time and be involved in plays when it mattered. Last night Brass scored early in the 3rd to make it 5-3 and it gave the team and the whole crowd life. Duchene then made it 5-4 with 11:30 left and the Sens were on a mission and it felt like it was just a matter of time before they'd tie it up which Hoffman did with his famous one timer. The 2 of them combining for the quick OT goal was icing on the cake. Not expecting a repeat tonight but the guys lived up to their billing last night. Bravo!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad