Rumor: Sharks in on Kovalchuk sweepstakes

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Posted this in the other thread but Meier and Braun for Kovalchuk and Severson is a trade I would love to see happen. I think it'll more likely just be something more straightforward like a pick for Kovalchuk though, regardless of which team he ends up with.

How great would a 1st power play unit of Kovalchuk in the left circle, Burns as the lone guy at the point, Thornton on the right wing half wall, Couture at the goal line and Pavelski in the slot be though? Perfect handedness and everything.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
How great would a 1st power play unit of Kovalchuk in the left circle, Burns as the lone guy at the point, Thornton on the right wing half wall, Couture at the goal line and Pavelski in the slot be though? Perfect handedness and everything.

:amazed:

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011

One word: Steve Spott

I'm one of the people who believe the window is closed so I don't want to trade futures for a 1st/2nd round exit. I guess it depends on what we give up but a past his prime Kovy doesn't excite me.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Posted this in the other thread but Meier and Braun for Kovalchuk and Severson is a trade I would love to see happen. I think it'll more likely just be something more straightforward like a pick for Kovalchuk though, regardless of which team he ends up with.

Then what was the point of drafting Meier?

Kovalchuk is well past his prime. His best NHL years was with the Thrashers, not later with the Devils. I'd guess we're looking at a winger that would be somewhat of an upgrade on this past season productivity of Marleau if he were to play in the NHL. He'll face more competitive goal tenders and defenses.

Sharks' #1 need is a dominating 1st line center to replace Thornton who did not dominate much this past season like he has seasons upon seasons in the past.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Like I said in the other thread, maybe here's finally a spot we can get some value from Mirco Mueller? The Sharks org still seem to think he's got tons of potential, maybe they can convince NJ of it....

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I don't think I'd be comfortable with giving up Meier, but it depends on how long the contract is. You have to think it might be a 1 (or 2) year contract to see if he really likes it back in the NHL.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
I'm not all that excited for Kovy coming here at the expense of a prospect or high pick. Our PP is atrocious, and adding him won't change that until Spott is replaced.

TrappedInFullerton

Murray SMASH
Apr 19, 2006

Kovalchuk is well past his prime. His best NHL years was with the Thrashers, not later with the Devils. I'd guess we're looking at a winger that would be somewhat of an upgrade on this past season productivity of Marleau if he were to play in the NHL. He'll face more competitive goal tenders and defenses.

Sharks' #1 need is a dominating 1st line center to replace Thornton who did not dominate much this past season like he has seasons upon seasons in the past.

Seriously, the dude is 34 (just what the Sharks need, another player over 34) and hasn't played in the NHL for 4 years. Sure he's been in the KHL, but that's a completely different level of play. People wanna throw Meier up for him? :help:

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ

One word: Steve Spott

I'm one of the people who believe the window is closed so I don't want to trade futures for a 1st/2nd round exit. I guess it depends on what we give up but a past his prime Kovy doesn't excite me.

Yep, Steve Spott is garbage and could have Crosby/Kane/Kessel/Burns/Karlsson as his 1st PP and they'd finish bottom 10 in the league in percentage

If this is true I see it more as a sign that DW and co. are actively refusing to tank even though it's the only real path forward, I'm not a fan of giving up assets for a 34 year old Kovalchuck who will bolt as soon as it becomes apparent that we aren't a major cup contender

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Doug Wilson isn't going to blow it up. The team has moved on from the Marleau, Thornton, Boyle core and onto Couture, Pavelski and Burns. In 5 years they will move on from these guys and onto the next batch of guys being built up now.

They will never rebuild.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

The Devils need Severson. He's literally the only top pairing defenseman in the entire organization and will just be turning 23 when the season starts.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Seriously, the dude is 34 (just what the Sharks need, another player over 34) and hasn't played in the NHL for 4 years. Sure he's been in the KHL, but that's a completely different level of play. People wanna throw Meier up for him? :help:

If we're not rebuilding (and Doug Wilson absolutely will not commit to an actual rebuild) we should be doing everything possible to win the Cup and Kovalchuk, regardless of his age, absolutely helps that. Meier would be more to acquire Severson who's an upgrade over Braun on the shutdown pairing while being 7 years younger.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Y'all are acting like Severson isn't the best asset in that deal. :shakehead

Goddamnit DW :facepalm:

My man, nowhere does it say that DW is interested. People are just saying SJ because of DeBoer. Lay off DW for half a second.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Are people acting like Ilya Kovalchuk is Jarome Iginla? Kovalchuk, even if he is 34, is still amazing at hockey. And if we could somehow get Severson as well, that would be just lovely.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Assuming the Sharks go after only Kovy (without Severson), would O'Regan + Mueller be enough?

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Who cares if he's in his mid-30s? We need to either rebuild or do everything we can to maximize our chances at a Cup. Unless Gackle or anyone else arguing along those lines would like another 2014-15 season where we're accomplishing neither of those goals. Since we're clearly not rebuilding, we need to go for it and adding a top-six scoring winger (which Kovalchuk undeniably is) is at the top of the list of team needs.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Who cares if he's in his mid-30s? We need to either rebuild or do everything we can to maximize our chances at a Cup. Unless Gackle or anyone else arguing along those lines would like another 2014-15 season where we're accomplishing neither of those goals. Since we're clearly not rebuilding, we need to go for it and adding a top-six scoring winger (which Kovalchuk undeniably is) is at the top of the list of team needs.

This. Since nobody has done it yet I suppose I'll take the honors. 1st+2nd for Kovalchul

Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski
Hansen-Hertl-Boedker
Kovalchuk-Couture-Meier
Karlsson-Tierney-Ward

Vlasic-Braun
Martin-Burns
Simek/AHL callup-Schlemko
(Vegas takes Dillon)

Jones
Dell

Ad

Upcoming events