Sharks fire David Quinn

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Even after the Hertl trade they were nearly deadlocked with Chicago fighting it out for 32nd place, they didn't clinch dead last until game 80

It wasn't the main motivation behind the Hertl trade, that was definitely the contract, but I'm sure they preferred not to risk him coming back to play and scoring an unnecessary OT winner to spoil the tank
It's certainly possible, but I really don't think it had any sort of influence on the timeline of the trade.

Either way I don't know why I'm debating it.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
People talking in abstract terms here. If the sharks and their players are not believers of Quinn, you let the guy go and find a better coach. If the players don't believe in him for example, you simply can't bring the guy back. I'm sure the sharks realize this costs them money and is anti-tank but HF only cares about tanking for wowza picks.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
There are a lot of reasons coaches get fired. Obviously in this case he didn't get fired because of W/L. Development. Systems. Personality. There are a lot of reasons coaches get fired.
Sharks aren't contending for several years so the coach should be evaulated on his ability to help players develop. If they don't believe he is the guy to do that he needed to go.

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
No way to know for sure, but you have to wonder if this move was heavily influenced by exit interviews with the players. Quinn was a micro-manager in NY who lost the ears of his veterans and had his younger players playing scared. Maybe the players in San Jose had mixed feelings when asked on their evaluations of their head coach?

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
giphy.gif

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Probably something more to it than just the losing, like he wasn’t playing young players enough for Grier’s liking or there were locker room issues.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Lmao.... is your response to me saying "we cant assume why he was fired" really "oh yeah? then why do YOU assume he was fired"?

My point was that you don't keep a coach you don't want because 'timelines'. No matter where your team is, you want a guy you think is the right coach. Clearly the Sharks didn't believe that coach was David Quinn anymore since they fired him.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I dont think he’s a good coach, but surely they realize this is a pointless move given their timetable to compete, right?

I don’t agree with that. A coach like Don Granato would be great for the Sharks right now. Develop the young talent ad best as he can and then turn it over to the next coach.

Regardless of who it is, the next guy they hire will be very important.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And lose badly next year!
Who are the sharks young players? Eklund? Not a bunch to work with. It’s going to be a long hard road for SJ in the upcoming 3/4 years. Kind of like Ana has been the past 6. 3 bottom 3 finishes with another bottom 5 finish and 2 others in the bottom 10. Most of their kids just arrived this past season in Carlson, Lacombe, Mintyukov and Zellweger late. MacTavish in year 2 and Zegras first year of new deal.
Feels like the next SJ HC is going to end up like Eakins did in Ana….. not a lot to work with.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Probably something more to it than just the losing, like he wasn’t playing young players enough for Grier’s liking or there were locker room issues.
They pretty much only played the young players in the final two games of the season which resulted in a -11 goal differential ha

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Wild firing given what he had to work with. Akim Aliu hiring incoming? Realized he is a terrible player so why not let him be the coach when they have no chance of winning anything. Unreal PR stunt.
It's curious that a thread on news of a coach firing, you bring up Aliu on a PTO with the AHL team. You're really telling on yourself with this sort of response.
Sure, but you are assuming that he was fired due to a lack of trust.

Grier has done things in his short time in the GM role that are not very common, his judgement deserves some scrutiny.
I'd be glad to discuss what things that aren't very common that deserve some scrutiny. Grier has done a lot of good moves for the organization and a lot of them were clearly very difficult to manufacture given the contracts at play.
Eaxactly my thoughts.

I mean aure they were beyond terrible, but how can you put that blame on the coach when he had THAT roster to work with.
He's not and the fans aren't putting blame on Quinn for the team's lack of talent. That's not why he got canned. The reality is that the Sharks likely never intended on keeping Quinn past his three year deal. Now that he's going into that final year after two horrendous seasons, keeping a coach like that where the team is just riding out his contract is not going to be a productive development season for the players. That's just the business of coaching in the NHL for a rebuilding team.
Sharks aren't contending for several years so the coach should be evaulated on his ability to help players develop. If they don't believe he is the guy to do that he needed to go.
That's if your team is in the player development phase of a rebuild predominantly. This Sharks team wasn't set up like that. This team was going to lose and a lot. They did a lot to prevent kids from playing in the NHL because they knew how ugly it was going to get and wanted short term more mature players to take on the tensions of losing like they were going to. That's why they only really had three guys on a development track playing in the NHL for this season. Everyone else was a vet or someone getting potentially their last shot at being an NHL'er. When you have that many fringe players in your lineup on the regular, player development is still taking a back seat.

Quinn is the fall guy for the last two seasons but it was always going to be that way as they were rebuilding. The most likely reason that Quinn was let go by Grier now is because they don't want a lameduck coach going into the final year of his contract coaching a team that will have more focus on player development because a lot of the cap dumps are coming off the books. If the Sharks luck out to land Celebrini in the draft, he's probably going to be in San Jose come October. Maybe that also means that Will Smith follows. Either way, the centerpiece to your next competitive team will need development and that's going to require player buy-in. A lameduck coach that has lost 60 or more games in each of the past two seasons is not going to be the best guy to get that out of a new group.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I'd be glad to discuss what things that aren't very common that deserve some scrutiny. Grier has done a lot of good moves for the organization and a lot of them were clearly very difficult to manufacture given the contracts at play.
I never said he has been bad, he just seems to march to the beat of his own drum and it is too early to tell for certain if that is a good thing or a bad thing. And to be fair, my comments are specifically in terms of how he is as a boss/manager of a front office, which is one of those things that is very difficult to know without seeing/experiencing it first hand.

His comments about the fired scout are an example - I'm not saying he was in the wrong in any way, but it's not something you see very often.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
This makes sense if a specific coach Grier wants is (now) available and willing to join the Sharks.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I never said he has been bad, he just seems to march to the beat of his own drum and it is too early to tell for certain if that is a good thing or a bad thing. And to be fair, my comments are specifically in terms of how he is as a boss/manager of a front office, which is one of those things that is very difficult to know without seeing/experiencing it first hand.

His comments about the fired scout are an example - I'm not saying he was in the wrong in any way, but it's not something you see very often.
So then what about any of that is something where his judgment warrants scrutiny? He took a chance on a person in Russia with experience in scouting and front office work and fired him because he wasn't doing what he was being asked. Yeah, he was a little more public about it than you expect over a scout but a new GM using something like this as a way to assert himself is also not unheard of.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's not like he's any good, but what did they really expect with that roster? :laugh:

Main thing is...i can't imagine promising, high quality up and coming coaches (or even veteran retreads) are going to be lining up around the block to take that job in his place. Especially not when apparently you might even get fired for tanking out with a tank built kind of embarrassing roster. Like...it looks like basically career suicide.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad