Sharks fire David Quinn

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
The Hertl trade was baaad. And my personal opinion: he should've gotten more out of the EK65 trade. If you are trading these big name players with questionable long contracts, there are two ways to go about it:

- you either trade them for peanuts, just to get out of the contract OR
- you retain properly, 50%, and get a big package

And Grier did neither with EK65 and Hertl. Just these lousy 15ish% retains to use up your retention slots for a long time, while not really getting that much assets back in terms of picks and prospects. Awful job.

I haven't paid attention to all of his deals, so if he has been good with minor trades good for him. But these two are one of the bigger ones in the whole league during the past calendar year, and he has done awfully on both of them.
Just because you think he should have gotten more doesn’t mean there were other, better offers out there not to mention both Hertl and EK had those pesky NMC in their deals. The Karlsson trade looks to be a coup considering the pick they’re getting back is top 15 and Granlund ended up being our best player this year by a mile. EK meanwhile resorted back to being a good not great d-man with 5 more years left.

I wouldn’t say the Hertl trade is bad, I just hated he went to Vegas of all teams. But it was the same situation where Grier was limited by a variety of factors.

In terms of retention, he’s also limited by what the owner is willing to retain. I hated the retention slot usage admittedly, but claiming this is what YOU’D do doesn’t mean those options were ever out there.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
At 50% retained? Bullshit, absolutely would've fetched a good return for both.
Once again this is revisionist history

Before Karlsson and Hertl were traded they were looked at as albatross contracts that were mistakes by the Wilson regime, now that they've moved they're suddenly valuable pieces that should have brought in a haul, only one of the two can be true, and the market spoke loud and clear

The two ended up being sent out along with an AHL warm body and 2 3rd round picks for 2 1sts, a recent 1st round prospect and shorter term cap dump roster players while retaining a marginal amount of salary (which was the real point of the trades, to maximize cap space)

They accomplished their main goal of adding financial flexibility and shed 2 players who aren't a part of their future along with 2 3rds and turned them into 2 1sts and a 1st round prospect, that's pretty handy work to shed a couple of bad contracts

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
I think the mistake a lot of outsiders make on this thread is they assume he was fired solely because of their place in the standings because for non-pros, it's all about tanking.

When you evaluate your staff, you have a checklist of things you want to accomplish such as individual development goals for your players and the culture you want to surround your team in. Just because you're not aiming for the playoffs doesn't mean you shouldn't have other objectives.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Being too close to lose the race to Chicago and the fear Quinn could compromise the plan going into next year.

The race to the bottom is a competitive environment.

Reactions: Summer Rose

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Idk how he even got hired to begin with. You're rebuilding and he just had a #1 and #2 overall picks in NY and they went backwards under his watch.

At least as a hockey fan I can feel comfortable if Celebrini ends up there now, as long as they don't hire Gallant.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It sounds like the hands may have been tied by ownership when it came to retentions, if the EK rumors out of Carolina were true.
Asking your owner to be patient with a long rebuild where fans won't be invested while also asking him to spend 60 million on players to play for other teams is a mighty ask.
I 100% understand that's a lot to ask for from the owners. But if they are not up to it, then don't do the trade. Figure out other ways to get better.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I 100% understand that's a lot to ask for from the owners. But if they are not up to it, then don't do the trade. Figure out other ways to get better.
Those trades WERE to get better, by bottom out and drafting at the top of the order

It was imperative they got rid of Karlsson before the season, he singlehandedly played the Sharks out of last place last year, they couldn't bring him back and Pittsburgh was the only team willing to pay a real price

Hertl was a similar situation, he was too good for the team to ensure a last place finish, they got him out the door and proceeded to win 4 games for the rest of the year

These trades accomplished exactly what they set out to do, to add capspace and remove wins

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Those trades WERE to get better, by bottom out and drafting at the top of the order

It was imperative they got rid of Karlsson before the season, he singlehandedly played the Sharks out of last place last year, they couldn't bring him back and Pittsburgh was the only team willing to pay a real price

Hertl was a similar situation, he was too good for the team to ensure a last place finish, they got him out the door and proceeded to win 4 games for the rest of the year

These trades accomplished exactly what they set out to do, to add capspace and remove wins
While I understand the thought process, I highly doubt either was traded because of their immediate effect on the standings.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

That and what happens if Karlsson had reverted back to his previous two seasons?

You are stuck with a 11.5mil player that you'd once again be talking about paying to get rid of like was discussed in the 22 summer

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Sharks firing Quinn seems rather useless to me. They're not going to be a good team for a while, even if they win the Celebrini lottery. That's not really on the coach but on a gutted out and rotting roster.
This may seem harsh, but the main reason for firing a coach of a poor team isn't primarily to improve the performance of the team, it is:

-to divert people from the job the gm has done, thereby buying him some time to avoid getting himself fired while he hopes to find a way to make his team a winner
-make some sort of change so the players return to something different in hopes of at least temporarily decreasing the feelings of hopelessness that come from returning to a bad roster after a season of losing
-improving team development for the future

Last edited:

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
While I understand the thought process, I highly doubt either was traded because of their immediate effect on the standings.
Not just that, but also to get off the long term cap commitment

Those were the team's 2 goals this year, to be as bad as possible and tank for a high draft pick and to remove long term cap commitments for aging players to maximize financial flexibility going forward

Trading Karlsson and Hertl both contributed to both of these goals, and they achieved both of these goals

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Sharks firing Quinn seems rather useless to me. They're not going to be a good team for a while, even if they win the Celebrini lottery. That's not really on the coach but on a gutted out and rotting roster.
I don't think Grier or Sharks management are making this move thinking they are going to shoot up the standings.

More they are looking at adding someone that can developed their prospects the best.

Or could just be Quinn and Grier aren't on the same page.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Not just that, but also to get off the long term cap commitment

Those were the team's 2 goals this year, to be as bad as possible and tank for a high draft pick and to remove long term cap commitments for aging players to maximize financial flexibility going forward

Trading Karlsson and Hertl both contributed to both of these goals, and they achieved both of these goals
I agree, however if you look at Hertl, the team was the worst in hockey with him in the lineup and at the time of the trade it certainly didn't look like he was gonna come back this year. Trading him had nothing to do with the on-ice results this season IMO and everything to do with taking advantage of an opportunity to move him from the books. I doubt Grier was worried about how the team would be with him in the lineup the last 20 or so games.

I don't think Grier or Sharks management are making this move thinking they are going to shoot up the standings.

More they are looking at adding someone that can developed their prospects the best.

Or could just be Quinn and Grier aren't on the same page.
That's my thinking. One of them wants to be more proactive in improving the team and the other wants to remain patient while continuing to amass picks and lotto tickets in the way of busted prospects looking for another opportunity (Zadina, Addison etc). I guess we'll see in the offseason who was who.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I agree, however if you look at Hertl, the team was the worst in hockey with him in the lineup and at the time of the trade it certainly didn't look like he was gonna come back this year. Trading him had nothing to do with the on-ice results this season IMO and everything to do with taking advantage of an opportunity to move him from the books. I doubt Grier was worried about how the team would be with him in the lineup the last 20 or so games.
Even after the Hertl trade they were nearly deadlocked with Chicago fighting it out for 32nd place, they didn't clinch dead last until game 80

It wasn't the main motivation behind the Hertl trade, that was definitely the contract, but I'm sure they preferred not to risk him coming back to play and scoring an unnecessary OT winner to spoil the tank

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad