Sharks fire David Quinn

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Honestly, SJ right now is not a great destination for a HC. Long way to go to build the team back up. Going to be bottom 5-7 for another 3 seasons it appears. Really, little to no hope of a 2nd contract with them. Which also limits chances of another HC job in the NHL in the future.
Which is why you should just keep Quinn, unless you think he's absolutely toxic to the players. Which if that was the case, maybe he should've been fired in-season.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t know if this guy has the goods since he’s never had a chance to coach a decent team. But everyone’s gotta get a fresh start.

Reactions: Summer Rose

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Which is why you should just keep Quinn, unless you think he's absolutely toxic to the players. Which if that was the case, maybe he should've been fired in-season.
Bad look on Grier to use up a firing so quickly. Means he hired the wrong person. I can't envision the next coach getting them to the PO before the end of their contract. So, more likely than not both Grier and next HC will be gone before the HC's contract expires.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Literally no reason to fire him. No one was going to make that group do anything. Should just keep whatever coach you have til their contract expires or you finally have a group that could do something.

The only possible reason I can think of is that the Sharks want Warsofsky to lead the Baby Sharks early in their careers. He does have a rather-pristine record in the AHL and a Calder Cup to his name, but I fear that this particular job could be a career-killer.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
That's ridiculous.

You don't keep a coach you don't trust anymore because of timelines. You're still running a club and developing players.
Sure, but you are assuming that he was fired due to a lack of trust.

Grier has done things in his short time in the GM role that are not very common, his judgement deserves some scrutiny.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Quinn becomes the fall guy here, there isn't a coach in the league that would have turned that team around.

But, maybe they want a better teacher for the youth movement they have coming up and Quinn just doesn't have the philosophy they want moving forward.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The only possible reason I can think of is that the Sharks want Warsofsky to lead the Baby Sharks early in their careers. He does have a rather-pristine record in the AHL and a Calder Cup to his name, but I fear that this particular job could be a career-killer.
But for Warsofsky, is this the best career choice? Sharks are a long ways away from making the PO. Will he be given the rope to get a 2nd contract with the team? Pick the wrong one and it's his only NHL shot.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Exactly which trade was bad? The only one I’m not thrilled with is the Hertl trade.
The Hertl trade was baaad. And my personal opinion: he should've gotten more out of the EK65 trade. If you are trading these big name players with questionable long contracts, there are two ways to go about it:

- you either trade them for peanuts, just to get out of the contract OR
- you retain properly, 50%, and get a big package

And Grier did neither with EK65 and Hertl. Just these lousy 15ish% retains to use up your retention slots for a long time, while not really getting that much assets back in terms of picks and prospects. Awful job.

I haven't paid attention to all of his deals, so if he has been good with minor trades good for him. But these two are one of the bigger ones in the whole league during the past calendar year, and he has done awfully on both of them.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Not shocked, they set the cap era record for least points in a full 82 game season, you can't run that back and pretend you're trying to compete

Quinn is a terrible coach, not sad he's gone, I just worry who they bring in now, it's a bad situation for anyone to walk into

Grier is pulling the strings he needed to, he inherited the most unenviable position imaginable with a bottom feeding roster committed to several long term, big money deals for aging veterans who all had depressed trade value, he's been really good at liquidating the roster without bleeding assests

The debuild has been exceptional, the question is whether or not he can do the REbuild part

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
The Hertl trade was baaad. And my personal opinion: he should've gotten more out of the EK65 trade. If you are trading these big name players with questionable long contracts, there are two ways to go about it:

- you either trade them for peanuts, just to get out of the contract OR
- you retain properly, 50%, and get a big package

And Grier did neither with EK65 and Hertl. Just these lousy 15ish% retains to use up your retention slots for a long time, while not really getting that much assets back in terms of picks and prospects. Awful job.

I haven't paid attention to all of his deals, so if he has been good with minor trades good for him. But these two are one of the bigger ones in the whole league during the past calendar year, and he has done awfully on both of them.
Neither of those players were worth a big return and it's revisionist history to imply they could get a large return

Both players were in their late 20s/early 30s with 4+ years committed at an overpaid cap hit, the fact that either of them returned a 1st round pick is strong work by Grier

The retention doesn't matter, the Sharks will be a salary floor team through the time the Karlsson deal ends even WITH these retained salaries, they needed to become more flexible and did so through these trades, now they aren't tied to these bad deals signed by the previous regime

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Good call. I think with a better coach they could have gotten upwards of 23 wins.
Scotty Bowman would have struggled to win 23 games with this AHL roster. But as with any GM, it’s better to aim at and fire your coach than have the target on your own back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad