GDT: Sharks @ Devils, 1:00, MSG, Yodaisms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Jack and Bratt will get theirs, but if we had a true triggerman(paging Alex Holtz) it would go a long way from maybe being on the bubble to being right in the mix for a playoff spot. Bratt definitely needs to shoot more and I’m sure when they watch tape the staff will bring it up. One of the main issues with the PP is that all our guys are pass first players and they always take an extra second or two and try and find someone instead of having a guy to just rifle pucks.

Yegor's going to get going at some point and could definitely push 30.

He was bad, sorry. Completely sewered the first PP with 2 giveaways, made a bad turnover trying to dangle at his own blueline, was generally forcing plays. He's good enough and the Sharks are bad enough that it didn't cost them anything and he also got a semi-breakaway and made that nice spin move, but he was not on his game.

If you grade on a curve compared to what he can be then sure. If you don't then no he wasn't bad. Wasn't good and wasn't bad. Did some good and some bad for an overall fine game.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
an off night for hughes still involves plenty of chances created but he did look off his game.

either way it’s a solid win for them, nice to see them pull out a close one after every game so far has been more or less one sided.

there’s absolutely no reason to play smith when you have bahl. guy takes a bad penalty at the worst times when there aren’t even scoring chances. they’re lucky he hasn’t cost them momentum or games yet but he will

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Depends on the player.

Nat Stat says McLeod had 7 5v5 on the fly shifts last night. But he had 8 shifts start with a faceoff, 5 of which were in the D-zone.

Smith started 4 shifts on the fly, while 8 started via a faceoff. (kind of surprisingly he started 3 in the o-zone, not sure what that combination says.)

Even Nico, 11 shifts started via faceoff (7 of which were o-zone) while he had only 7 on the fly shifts.

Conversely Hughes had 14 on the fly shift starts, and started 7 shifts via faceoff, none of which were in the d-zone.

So yeah, for certain guys, who you don't want taking faceoffs, like Hughes, they start most shifts on the fly(and their linemates usage is obviously going to be affected by this as well), and will rarely start a shift on a d-zone faceoff, but for guys who are good at faceoffs, they will start a much larger % of their shifts off a faceoff, and a guys used in defensive roles will start signicant portion of their shifts on a d-zone draw.

And the bad faceoff/defensive guys won't stay on the ice if early in their shift there is a d-zone draw, while the good faceoff/defensive guys will, which amplifies the effect.

The usage difference between Hughes and McLeod for instance is huge. As we would expect given the skillsets of each, but that usage absolutely has an effect on their respective #'s.

Ctrl-F this post for 'Bahl' = 0 results

You started by talking about Bahl, then realized whoops, Bahl's zone start was 33%, but that he kept getting o-zone faceoffs because his shifts were ending up in the O-zone. Bahl had 1 start in the offensive zone but he took 8 faceoffs in the o-zone. Most of his shifts happened on the fly. Now is he responsible for most or even some of that, probably not, but crucially he isn't going the other way. He deserves more ice time.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
If you grade on a curve compared to what he can be then sure. If you don't then no he wasn't bad. Wasn't good and wasn't bad. Did some good and some bad for an overall fine game.

Nah. Jack plays a much higher-risk game than other players so when he is not on his game it is more likely to be consequential in a negative way. Again, he didn't really get burned, San Jose is not very good, but can't have too many games like this.

Reactions: mdj12784

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Ctrl-F this post for 'Bahl' = 0 results

You started by talking about Bahl, then realized whoops, Bahl's zone start was 33%, but that he kept getting o-zone faceoffs because his shifts were ending up in the O-zone. Bahl had 1 start in the offensive zone but he took 8 faceoffs in the o-zone. Most of his shifts happened on the fly. Now is he responsible for most or even some of that, probably not, but crucially he isn't going the other way. He deserves more ice time.
Actually I started talking about Tatar.

But once you went with the in general "most shifts start on the fly" it opened the debate up beyond Tatar and Bahl.

Though it did force you to look deeper into the #'s which showed that Bahl was not starting his shifts in the o-zone, which initially caused my skepticism, but instead play with Bahl on the ice was creating those offensive zone faceoffs, which instead shines a positive light on Bahl's game.

Well done, this is the product of good debate.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Hilarious to me that people are shitting on the fans already cause of a 3 game winning streak that includes wins over 2 of the worst teams in the league. Do I want Ruff to succeed? Of course, why would anyone who is an actual fan of this team want us to suck yet again? But lets hold the horses on that this whole thing is turned around...

Who cares?

Vancouver fans are throwing jerseys on the ice at their home opener and they went into the season way more enthusiastic about their HC than Devils fans. Life comes at you fast.

Better pricing tiers for tickets and fan friendly concession stand prices.

Winning definitely helps but our team needs to do more than just win to draw consistent crowds.

The drop off in atmosphere and attendance from the home opener to the Ducks and Sharks games was like night and day.

Spoiler: That huge drop off from the home opener has happened every season.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
Who cares?

Vancouver fans are throwing jerseys on the ice at their home opener and they went into the season way more enthusiastic about their HC than Devils fans. Life comes at you fast.

Spoiler: That huge drop off from the home opener has happened every season.
Yep. And typically outside of a Ranger game, you won’t see another good crowd until Christmas break.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hilarious to me that people are shitting on the fans already cause of a 3 game winning streak that includes wins over 2 of the worst teams in the league. Do I want Ruff to succeed? Of course, why would anyone who is an actual fan of this team want us to suck yet again? But lets hold the horses on that this whole thing is turned around...

Just now realize who tweeted this out. Didn't even click last night when I first read it.

What am I saying now? I'm saying that Pagnotta is a glorified Eklund. I'm saying that now, last week, next week, next year, last month, last year and 12 years ago or whenever he first came to my attention.

Signal

Jan 18, 2018
I was at the game Saturday afternoon with my wife and son. It was my first ever Devils home game! Four rows from the glass. It was awesome to finally be there. It felt like I was making a pilgrimage to the mother land or something. LOL. I have been a Devs fan since 1988 but living in Rochester, NY I just never made the trip. In fact I have only been to three NHL games in my life. Two at the old Aud in Buffalo (both vs the Devils) and one neutral site game in Hamilton, Ontario Canada (Sabres vs Devils). You older fans probably remember the early 90's when the NHL went from 80 games to 84 games. Each team played two neutral site games to promote hockey in other cities. Or to consider places for future expansion. I can't remember the exact reason. But they held a game at the Copps Coliseum.

Anyway, I thought the crowd was great Saturday. Especially for a low scoring game. I had a fantastic time. And if I didn't live over 5 hours away I would definitely love to attend many more games! PS, we're 3-1 when I attend games. 😁

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad