Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Klim Kostin for Radim Simek and 2024 7th

Jul 10, 2010
What trades HAVE been a disaster?

Honestly not a fan of his trade down for Bystedt. Would it look better if we got different players? maybe. But i'm much more of a quality over quantity guy. Would have loved to stick at 11 and grab Mateychuk or Nazar. The pool looks alot better with 1 of them in it.

I'd argue the Burns trade might be actual garbage even with that context

3rd (Reached for Svoboda)
Makiniemi (To be determined)
Lorentz (Gone)

Then again,
Lorentz got us Duclair

And Duclair got us a 3rd and Thompson

Not as upset about this, Burns basically picked his destination.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Honestly not a fan of his trade down for Bystedt. Would it look better if we got different players? maybe. But i'm much more of a quality over quantity guy. Would have loved to stick at 11 and grab Mateychuk or Nazar. The pool looks alot better with 1 of them in it.

I think it's quite possible that Grier wouldn't have traded down in the draft if he already had his own trusted people in place to make that pick.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

Yep, a return of a magic beans goalie prospect, two 3rd round picks, and Thompson for an aging Burns on an albatross contract who basically picked his preferred destination sounds about right imo

Reactions: Sysreq

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
When it comes to trade returns, you have to assume that the GM got the best deal possible. That can vary based on how GMs value prospects, so there's some room for criticism there, but Grier wasn't going to get a top pick or prospect for Burns.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I'd argue the Burns trade might be actual garbage even with that context

3rd (Reached for Svoboda)
Makiniemi (To be determined)
Lorentz (Gone)

Then again,
Lorentz got us Duclair

And Duclair got us a 3rd and Thompson

I think what's important in evaluating these trades is not only the tangible return, but also intangibles like the cap flexibility, the open contract spot, the open roster spot, etc.

Also we need to place these trades in the Covid prism that absolutely tanked returns for big contract players. With Burns specifically, moving on from him was the smarter move than keeping him, so we got what we wanted.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
I think what's important in evaluating these trades is not only the tangible return, but also intangibles like the cap flexibility, the open contract spot, the open roster spot, etc.

Also we need to place these trades in the Covid prism that absolutely tanked returns for big contract players. With Burns specifically, moving on from him was the smarter move than keeping him, so we got what we wanted.
What about the truculence?!?!

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
None. Grier has been dealing with one arm tied behind his back.
It is pretty bonkers to think in less than 2 years MG has traded away Tomas Hertl, Timo Meier, Erik Karlsson, AND Brent Burns. Most under somewhat unfavorable circumstances sure, but trading four bonafide allstars and still not ending up with a key asset is pretty nuts. He does have some huge balls though so even after the Hertl trade officially broke my Sharks heart it made me hate GMMG less.

If you throw Hertl, Meier, Karlsson and a 1 year younger Burns on the trade market with better contracts or what not, you'd get twice the haul.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Im sorry but if someone wants out they want out. I dont buy into the "I want out but I am still picking my destination" bullshit. MG was perfectly fine with this return or he doesnt make it. Its not a good trade but I dont think its a disaster or anything.
I mean, wanting out but still picking my destination happens. Heatley to San Jose happened because of that. I'm sure there are other examples but it does happen occasionally. With Burns, the unknown is how many destinations were actually on the table for them. I'm sure there was more on the table than just Carolina but it was probably the best deal available for him. Others were maybe asking for the Sharks to retain more and/or take less but I think Dallas was an option among some others.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I mean, wanting out but still picking my destination happens. Heatley to San Jose happened because of that. I'm sure there are other examples but it does happen occasionally. With Burns, the unknown is how many destinations were actually on the table for them. I'm sure there was more on the table than just Carolina but it was probably the best deal available for him. Others were maybe asking for the Sharks to retain more and/or take less but I think Dallas was an option among some others.
Wasn't there rumours that the pens were also in on that trade near the end?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Wasn't there rumours that the pens were also in on that trade near the end?
They were rumored but I'm not sure how substantiated it was. Them and Toronto were supposedly in on Burns then as well but those two were less confirmed than Carolina and Dallas. I think Vegas might have been talking too but that may be me misremembering.

• Wow

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
They were rumored but I'm not sure how substantiated it was. Them and Toronto were supposedly in on Burns then as well but those two were less confirmed than Carolina and Dallas. I think Vegas might have been talking too but that may be me misremembering.
I have my doubts as to how those teams could have made it work under the cap, unless the Sharks were willing to retain more money. And that probably would have been a really hard sell for Grier to Hasso immediately after getting the job.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Think of it this way. Say Carolina was selling at this trade deadline, and they wanted to trade Burns with no extra retention.

What would that have yielded? A 2nd-round pick and a bad contract?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I have my doubts as to how those teams could have made it work under the cap, unless the Sharks were willing to retain more money. And that probably would have been a really hard sell for Grier to Hasso immediately after getting the job.
Toronto and Vegas certainly would've needed more retention. Dallas may have made it work under similar conditions to Carolina but it doesn't mean that they weren't going to ask for more anyway. It didn't matter much because Burns then even at 50% wasn't going to return much more than what he got. Maybe we get a 2nd round pick out of retaining 50% but is that really worth the extra retention dollars? Probably not. It would have been about 3-4 million dollars more for an upgrade in pick of one round. For a selection that still has pretty long odds. I can't blame them for taking less in such a scenario for a guy that wanted to go to compete when we're not even close to doing so ourselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad