Post-Game Talk: Sharks 3 - Jets 2 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Check out the Predators. All they have to do is win their games in hand and they have us

They still lost in a shootout. They made up no points against the Jets. I'm not worried about those games. Jets just have to handle their own business. They're in control of their own destiny. If they don't make the playoffs, that's entirely on them. I'm not worrying about things I can't control.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I personally don't think it matters one bit when you have bad spells. The points all count the same. With luck this adversity hardens the Jets heading to the playoffs.

The Jets already look better with Nino and Names in the lineup, as opposed to the bullshit they had before. I don't like how Bowness does his lineups, but it's easier to ignore when you have enough talent in your lineup.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
"all they have to do" implies it's easy.
No it literally means ‘all they have to do’. If they win their 3 games in hand they will be tied in points. I was responding to a poster who mentioned Calgary catching us, but left out Nashville. I simply reminded every body that if Nashville wins their 3 games in hand they are tied with us. Jets are 2-6-2 in the last 10. Preds are 6-3-1. Is it really that far fetched?

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Flames take the lead with 6 seconds left will gain a point on the Jets
It's not the Flames we have to worry about. If any team pushes us out of the playoffs, it will be Nashville.

almost 9 minutes on the power play and he has one SOG? The guy is coasting and playing for hockey card stats...
That's 9 minutes of being told he has to feed it to Connor instead of shooting.

Reactions: hn777

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
PP1 with 8-9mins TOI while PP2 had 3-4mins, Ehlers with the fewest among PP2 and Lowry with the most :laugh:

0/6 and nothing changed all game. The coaches have helped develop that selfishness.

This is an issue, definitely. 0/2, and creating chances, okay. 0/3, starting to think it's time to mix things up. 0/4, wholesale changes. 0/5, anything goes.

It isn't like this is a new thing -- the PP has been static and inefficient for a long time now and running out largely the same personnel and strategies means it's dead easy to game-plan for.

Perfetti in the bumper?

KFC setting up in exactly the same place for the same pass 10x each PP?

Your second-best shooter in 55 stuck along the wall with no room to move into the middle and snipe one?

Back to JMo, over to KFC, into 55, and over and over again. It's a simple triangle against a 4-man (sometimes 3-man) D. Bless you, Pythagorus. There's movement, but no threat.

A solid PP likely adds 4-8 points this stretch. That's a crucial cushion.

And forget the EN glory. Seal the win. A smart, soft puck flip up the middle like we see 20x a game, and an important 2 points is in the bag.

Last edited:

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Not sure maddening is the word I'd use, there's a word that starts with h that might work there.
I think if you aren't able to acknowledge that expectations of a Vezna Associated goaltender who makes big time starting money vs somebody who makes a pittance like big save dave, I don't know what to tell you. Cap hit matters. Also, that was a quality start until a completely fluke bounce caused a game time goal. It pinballed off two sticks he literally had no chance and he couldn't possibly have guessed that it was going to do that he was positioned properly

Reactions: Stumbledore

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is an issue, definitely. 0/2, and creating chances, okay. 0/3, starting to think it's time to mix things up. 0/4, wholesale changes. 0/5, anything goes.

It isn't like this is a new thing -- the PP has been static and inefficient for a long time now and running out largely the same personnel and strategies means it's dead easy to game-plan for.

Perfetti in the bumper?

KFC setting up in exactly the same place for the same pass 10x each PP?

Your second-best shooter in 55 stuck along the wall with no room to move into the middle and snipe one?

Back to JMo, over to KFC, into 55, and over and over again. It's a simple triangle against a 4-man (sometimes 3-man) D. Bless you, Pythagorus. There's movement, but no threat.

A solid PP likely adds 4-8 points this stretch. That's a crucial cushion.

And forget the EN glory. Seal the win. A smart, soft puck flip up the middle like we see 20x a game, and an important 2 points is in the bag.

To me it's almost like some of these stars want the cushy roles and don't want the roles they are best suited for.

I get that there is some give and take with vets but the coach needs to use his pieces better and if they don't like it so what. There is a reason Crosby has won it all multiple times. He sits infront of the net and will do whatever is needed to win. Maybe some of our players need to do likewise.

Having the rookie who is a very good hb GQ in the bumper spot reeks of some players pulling rank.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I personally don't think it matters one bit when you have bad spells. The points all count the same. With luck this adversity hardens the Jets heading to the playoffs.

what does matter though is how long those bad spells last...

Reactions: surixon

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Looking for another shake up for the next game -
I don't like our PP set up and you are right. Right now the only player in motion on our #1 PP in Morrissey and everything feeds through him. Everything on the left and everything on the right goes back to him and he distributes to the other side. Our PP is great if the goal was to play keep away as we could move it around the outside all day long. IMO at least the design is intended to shoot more and get in front for deflections and rebounds, but our players tend to want to do pretty seem passes that the PP is not designed for. So the end result is around and around the perimeter the puck goes.
I agree - especially with the point on the players wanting to over pass - or go for that low percentage seam.
Bones has already mentioned that he wants the guys to move and he wants pucks on net - he's stated that a few times.
But we continue to do what we have been doing (or resort to doing) over the past few yrs.
This is not a coached PP - this is certain players doing it the way they want to do - as usual, it's the message and the players ability to translate that in the game.

Nothing to do with your post but we're starting to hear the same fan analysis on the PP that would have you think that Bones wants these guys to stand around.
The guys on the walls will never get opportunities if they don't don't start moving - they are getting pushed out to the perimeter by the defending box.
It's incredibly easy to defend when you can take both shooters out of their shooting positions by simply giving them less space. You'd think they'd move around the box rather than simply backing into the wall -

Scheif and KC are both setting up where they feel they have room to take a pass - and that spot is almost always out of a shooting position.
JoMo is sliding it over to both of them but in most cases, there is no play other than to send it back.
The guys on the perimeter need to move - and it's up to them to make that happen - there is no way the coach is pushing for this stagnant set up.
JoMo, Scheif and KC are all very capable of moving with the puck - and those are the 3 that needs to get things moving.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Looking for another shake up for the next game -

I agree - especially with the point on the players wanting to over pass - or go for that low percentage seam.
Bones has already mentioned that he wants the guys to move and he wants pucks on net - he's stated that a few times.
But we continue to do what we have been doing (or resort to doing) over the past few yrs.
This is not a coached PP - this is certain players doing it the way they want to do - as usual, it's the message and the players ability to translate that in the game.

Nothing to do with your post but we're starting to hear the same fan analysis on the PP that would have you think that Bones wants these guys to stand around.
The guys on the walls will never get opportunities if they don't don't start moving - they are getting pushed out to the perimeter by the defending box.
It's incredibly easy to defend when you can take both shooters out of their shooting positions by simply giving them less space. You'd think they'd move around the box rather than simply backing into the wall -

Scheif and KC are both setting up where they feel they have room to take a pass - and that spot is almost always out of a shooting position.
JoMo is sliding it over to both of them but in most cases, there is no play other than to send it back.
The guys on the perimeter need to move - and it's up to them to make that happen - there is no way the coach is pushing for this stagnant set up.
JoMo, Scheif and KC are all very capable of moving with the puck - and those are the 3 that needs to get things moving.

Well said.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
what does matter though is how long those bad spells last...
Lasted until the final game of the season with Maurice and started around the same time too.

I think we miss the playoffs and this type of play doesn’t go Anywhere.

I admit i was tricked again. But it’s the players and chevys fault for assembling these players .

Not the coaches

Reactions: Truenorthducky

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What a piss off. Dominate the entire game and blunder it with 10 seconds left.

PP needs an intervention, it's costing us games and valuable points in the standings.

I'm going to call out Bones for going into a shell to close out the game and for some baffling deployment decisions. Dubois is hurt and stunk ass but he's out there killing the end of the game. Wheeler also stunk and is poor in his end but he's also out there. Come on Bones there were a number of players who killed it today and should have been out.

Big save Dave stunk, nothing else to say.

Morrissey and Pionk had a good game. Pionk has been a lot better the last two.

Dillon/DeMelo: They were ok but we don't get any offense from this pairing and it hurts us at times.

Snerg/Schmidt: Played a solid all around game and nice goal by Schmidt.

Top line: Played well and had some good looks and a goal. We need Conner to get going.

Second line: As mentioned Dubois stunk out there. Poor decisions and wasn't using his speed and wasn't going to the net. Fly was a lot better today, hopefully he can get going. Wheeler looked out of gas most of the night and he made a number of poor decisions.

Third line played well but absolutely zero finish despite some glorious looks.

Fourth line, they played well and should have played more.

It shouldn't have come down to an EN situation. Jets should have been up 4,5-1 by then.

Not to take credit away from Reimer, but Jets make opposing goalies look good far too often. Even from what are supposed to be high danger spots, they shoot AT THE GOALIE too often. Do they expect him to get out of the way? Lots of harmless shots. Not that many dangerous ones.

I don't know how something like that can infect an entire team, but it seems to have.

Truenorthducky

Oct 10, 2020
The Jets are 6 pts behind Dallas.. if the Jets still had 3 games in hand would you say they were likely to catch them?
No because if you look at the way the Jets have been playing that prolly would not happen. However if you look at how the Preds are playing, you see an honest effort every game , playing hard and they are accumulating points. It almost seems as though the Jets are not very good when playing under pressure and all these other teams are playing with no worries in the world and extremely loose

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
No because if you look at the way the Jets have been playing that prolly would not happen. However if you look at how the prEd’s are playing they are giving an honest effort every game playing hard and they are getting points.
they are 6-3-1 in their past 10, 0-3 against playoff teams and 6-0-1 against non playoff teams in this stretch, and they have 14 games remaining vs playoff teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce